No EGR Please HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My truck failed Pennsylvania's inspection with ease today. I'm not going to lie I'm pissed. Regardless i need your guys help. My truck has no EGR valve and no Air pump to go along with it.(None of the hoses connected to the charcoal canister are either...) At the very least I am going to need i new carb and intake manifold correct? Do i have to buy an original manifold or can i get one with an egr vent from like Edelbrock? What all will i need to do and if anyone could help me out with the parts involved that would be appreciated more than you know. To say I'm broke would be an understatement. Any help is appreciated and respond as quickly as possible please.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I don't know much about emissions since there are not any in Montana... but I do know Edelbrock does make an EGR intake manifold. Performer part #3701

$190 at Jegs though...

What carb do you have? The stock carb or an Edelbrock #1400 carb should be ok.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ehh it is an edelbrock carb. Not sure what model it is though? I saw that intake manifold at summit. It was a little more with all the gaskets and hardware included

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ehh it is an edelbrock carb. Not sure what model it is though? I saw that intake manifold at summit. It was a little more with all the gaskets and hardware included

First, we need to know what your state laws are. They may let you pass with any carburetor, but they my just want to see that stuff hooked up, and the EGR functional. Not hard to do. My suggestion is contact the state governing body for inspections, and get the exact info on what you need, and make sure you write down the name of the person who gives you that info. dont spend a single$ until then.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well my computer **** itself right as i was about to post all i had typed.. (i had a lot more typed)
Regardless i have to have all the original emissions equipment in place. It needs to pass both an emissions test and a safety test.

Now that, that's cleared up i need to know about the EGR. I understand what it is and how it works. But i have no clue as to what, where, and how it was originally set up from the factory. Outside of the EGR, the air pump, and a different style intake manifold; what else is involved? Will i need a change in carb?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well my computer **** itself right as i was about to post all i had typed.. (i had a lot more typed)
Regardless i have to have all the original emissions equipment in place. It needs to pass both an emissions test and a safety test.

Now that, that's cleared up i need to know about the EGR. I understand what it is and how it works. But i have no clue as to what, where, and how it was originally set up from the factory. Outside of the EGR, the air pump, and a different style intake manifold; what else is involved? Will i need a change in carb?

And you have NO vacuum diagrams under the hood, right?
Couple a' questions.
Is your distributor staright vac advance?
and do you have any mods on the truck, like headers, true duals?
A few pics under the hood would be good.
And, I would start looking for a q jet to use on this truck, its IMO, the best carb you can get. There may be some available here, People are at wrecking yards all the time, and I think someone just scored 3 or 4.

Last edited:

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
There is a vacuum diagram but its a little hard to decipher.
I don't know about the distributor, i'll take a look at it tomorrow before work.
The motor isn't a "built" motor but the previous, dumb-ass cough cough, i mean owner that built it put some money into it. As in good flowing heads and an aggressive cam that has been swapped for a RV cam. The truck has true duals with cats. But i need to take it to a muffler shop because everything past the exhaust manifold including the doughnut seal is junk. No hangers or anything..
Will a stock quadrajet hold back my motor at all? Do you recommend rebuilding an old one or buying a re-manufactured one?
I'll try to remember to take some pictures on my phone, no guarantee I will have them uploaded by tomorrow.

jshillips11

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
egr

well I live in florida and we have a bunch of square bodies at the local junkyards......if u need an intake with an egr just let me know or if anybody needs anything let me know

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
well I live in florida and we have a bunch of square bodies at the local junkyards......if u need an intake with an egr just let me know or if anybody needs anything let me know

Very cool offer Josh, Thanks!

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I appreciate the offer Josh. There's plenty of square bodys around my house sitting behind peoples houses and in junkyards. Kinda sad cuz i see more sitting then i do driving.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach