Nickel Plating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well I didn't quite know where to post this, so we'll start here.

Has anyone ever done their own Nickel plating? I have been watching a bunch of YouTube vids. It doesn't seem hard. I just bought a little battery charger from Amazon, two 99.96 Nickel Plates. Still need Vinegar, and a large sealable glass jar.

Just seeing if anyone here has ever done this? Is it really as easy as it looks? Just seeing if there is someone on here I can bounce questions off of. I'm going to give it a try, I'll post pics when I can.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
NOT a clue, but I'll be watching and waiting for your results!!!

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I dabbled with the Caswell Plating brush plating kits, but never tank plating. they do offer a good instruction manual and materials.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well I didn't quite know where to post this, so we'll start here.

Has anyone ever done their own Nickel plating? I have been watching a bunch of YouTube vids. It doesn't seem hard. I just bought a little battery charger from Amazon, two 99.96 Nickel Plates. Still need Vinegar, and a large sealable glass jar.

Just seeing if anyone here has ever done this? Is it really as easy as it looks? Just seeing if there is someone on here I can bounce questions off of. I'm going to give it a try, I'll post pics when I can.
Right out of high school I briefly worked in an industrial electroplating factory, spent 95% of my time running one of the the Nickel plating lines. Big batches for large companies, but everything from aerospace to medical equipment to gun parts, and everything in between (most memorable for me- we plated literally tons the little metal part on top of Bic lighters and the endcaps for some Duracell batteries). I didn't work there more than a few months as it was a pretty harsh environment, very hot in there and a haze of fumes made it hard to see the other end of the building, the people who'd been there for years looked like raisins and had voices like Patty and Selma from the Simpsons. The process involves different chemical baths and rinses that were timed, some were heated, and the parts were agitated or "tumbled" while in the tanks for uniform coverage. Everything was cleaned in sulfuric acid prior to going in the plating tank and was rinsed then dried in a liquid Freon tank after.

Being in a factory setting everything was so specific to a certain amount time and temps, chemical concentrations had to be kept in a specific range, etc, for the best possible result (not too thin, not too thick, good adhesion). I'm sure realistically it doesn't have to be anywhere near that specific to get the nickel to stick, in theory it is a fairly simple process, but I really doubt you're gonna have a good end result by simply using a battery charger and some vinegar. Some light nickel plating could most likely be achieved with such a method, but I would be very surprised if it were any good, my guess is that it would most likely wear off easily and would do little to prevent rust. I will admit have never tried it at home (accidentally copper plated something once, but that's a different story lol) so I can't say for sure whether it will work well or not, but my best "educated guess" is no.

Let us know how it goes when if/when you do try it, I am legitimately curious. Would be cool if it turns out to be something else we could do at home

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Do i seem to recall that maybe @bucket did this one time??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do i seem to recall that maybe @bucket did this one time??

It wasn't me, but someone here did. I can't remember who it was. Iirc, their tank was just a basic kiddie pool and they used old nickel coins. Technically illegal, but it worked.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
1. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks.
2. I'll pay someone to do it before I mess with those chemicals.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Right out of high school I briefly worked in an industrial electroplating factory, spent 95% of my time running one of the the Nickel plating lines. Big batches for large companies, but everything from aerospace to medical equipment to gun parts, and everything in between (most memorable for me- we plated literally tons the little metal part on top of Bic lighters and the endcaps for some Duracell batteries). I didn't work there more than a few months as it was a pretty harsh environment, very hot in there and a haze of fumes made it hard to see the other end of the building, the people who'd been there for years looked like raisins and had voices like Patty and Selma from the Simpsons. The process involves different chemical baths and rinses that were timed, some were heated, and the parts were agitated or "tumbled" while in the tanks for uniform coverage. Everything was cleaned in sulfuric acid prior to going in the plating tank and was rinsed then dried in a liquid Freon tank after.

Being in a factory setting everything was so specific to a certain amount time and temps, chemical concentrations had to be kept in a specific range, etc, for the best possible result (not too thin, not too thick, good adhesion). I'm sure realistically it doesn't have to be anywhere near that specific to get the nickel to stick, in theory it is a fairly simple process, but I really doubt you're gonna have a good end result by simply using a battery charger and some vinegar. Some light nickel plating could most likely be achieved with such a method, but I would be very surprised if it were any good, my guess is that it would most likely wear off easily and would do little to prevent rust. I will admit have never tried it at home (accidentally copper plated something once, but that's a different story lol) so I can't say for sure whether it will work well or not, but my best "educated guess" is no.

Let us know how it goes when if/when you do try it, I am legitimately curious. Would be cool if it turns out to be something else we could do at home
I completely understand what you are saying. You get out what you put in.

I'm not wanting anything major, just like nut and bolts, maybe some small brackets.

I look at it this way if it doesn't work, I don't have much money in it, and I can always powder coat...lol. I'm going to give it a try, and see how it comes out. With work finally slowing down a little, I might get a day off every now and than. I'll keep everyone posted, and take pics.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
1. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks.
2. I'll pay someone to do it before I mess with those chemicals.
It's not harsh chemicals for the DIYer. It's just Vinegar and Salt, and Nickel.

This is the guy that got me looking into Nickel plating.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
About time you showed back up by the way :slap:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's not harsh chemicals for the DIYer. It's just Vinegar and Salt, and Nickel.

This is the guy that got me looking into Nickel plating.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've got that exact same socket set! Dad gave it to me when I was younger. It's been very handy.

Side note, that Allen wrench was a bright finish when new.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I've got that exact same socket set! Dad gave it to me when I was younger. It's been very handy.

Side note, that Allen wrench was a bright finish when new.
I think it's a cool little set, would like to have one just for ***** and grins. If you want it looking new again, send it to me, and I'll redo it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84