Newbie Transfer Case Identification Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi All,

Bought a 1985 Chevy K10 swb with 350 (supposedly) Can't really trust the previous owner I am finding out.

I am not at all mechanical and know very little about cars/trucks but I am learning!

I could use your help identifying which transfer case I have. I took a few photos that I hope help.

I'm also worried about the putty on the end of transfer case going to drive shaft. Why is there putty there/should I be concerned? I could see fluid dripping from it after use.

On the orange cover it says CFD 207. Near it it has 140373 77
The 77 has larger numbers than the rest.

The other letters I see shown in photos are AE followed by 6 numbers I can't see.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 546

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I meant to ask for help identifying transmission as well!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok well that is for sure an NP205 transfer case.

The putty may be a feable attempt to stop the rear seal from leaking where it mates to the tail housing, or the tail housing could be broken under the putty.

The 207 on the side of the engine block means nothing

Take a pic of the transmission pan. Get the engine numbers from behind the drivers side head where the block meets the transmission and behind the alternator in front of the passenger side head there is a little flat shoulder that sticks out from the head, there should be a series of numbers there.

Post up that stuff and well tell you what size engine and transmission you have

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh, so since you referred to the "orange cover" as that, just letting ya know its the oil pan for the engine.
I am still learning so much about these trucks, look around the site here and youll learn sooo much about everything to do with these, its great

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok well that is for sure an NP205 transfer case.

The putty may be a feable attempt to stop the rear seal from leaking where it mates to the tail housing, or the tail housing could be broken under the putty.

The 207 on the side of the engine block means nothing

Take a pic of the transmission pan. Get the engine numbers from behind the drivers side head where the block meets the transmission and behind the alternator in front of the passenger side head there is a little flat shoulder that sticks out from the head, there should be a series of numbers there.

Post up that stuff and well tell you what size engine and transmission you have

THANK YOU. is that a good one to have? i will try and search for tail housing part as i fear there is a crack.

i will absolutely try to find those numbers tomorrow and post photos. thanks again!

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh, so since you referred to the "orange cover" as that, just letting ya know its the oil pan for the engine.
I am still learning so much about these trucks, look around the site here and youll learn sooo much about everything to do with these, its great

yes, i'm so technical lol! thank you for that information. seriously, i know close to zero!

but these forums are amazing and you guys are all so helpful. i really appreciate the knowledge and tips.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes the NP205 is a fantastic transfer case in that it is tuff as nails! It is a cast iron case with steel gears inside.

The NP208, NP241 are cast aluminum cases with a chain drive system. The NP241 is more desirable of the 2. They are ok transfer cases but not any where near as tuff as the NP205. But the advantage of the chain drives is that you can shift on the fly into 4WD where as the NP205 you can not.

Then there is the NP203 which looks just like yours except it does not have the little round cover with 3 bolts on the back. The 203 is IMO the biggest piece of #$#$%^#^ ever made as a transfer case. It resembles the 205 on the out side but is nothing like it inside.

Its possible that buddy cracked the tail housing trying to install the bushing that the drive shaft slides into. Would probably cost you less then a $100 to buy a new tail housing from a gear shop and have them press in a new bushing and seal. just use a "tiny" bit of high quality rtv silicone as a gasket when reinstalling.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
BTW the chain drive transfer cases use ATF automatic transmission fluid.

Yours uses GEAR OIL.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
But the advantage of the chain drives is that you can shift on the fly into 4WD where as the NP205 you can not.

ok, so does this mean i need to come to a complete stop, put in neutral, and then shift gears?

some buddies of mine were teaching me that i should be rolling around 5mph when i shift gears?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes stop neutral shift to 4wd. It can be a bitch to get it in sometimes you got to move a little to get the gears to mesh. You end up doing damage to the gear teeth when you try doing it while your moving.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That tail housing would be on my to do list yesterday if I was you!

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That tail housing would be on my to do list yesterday if I was you!

is it really dangerous to drive with it that way?

the truck hasn't moved in a week due to waiting on new gas tanks to arrive.

i looked all over the internet and couldn't find one! np website had them but they are all sold out.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
is it really dangerous to drive with it that way?

the truck hasn't moved in a week due to waiting on new gas tanks to arrive.

i looked all over the internet and couldn't find one! np website had them but they are all sold out.

The Gear Center can get you one. http://www.gearcentre.com/

You could trash a lot of things if it were to let go.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for heads up.

can i use the tail housing from a ford by any chance? i am not seeing anywhere to buy one online.

i guess because i am new, i can't post in the wanted section. any help figuring out why or how to fix this would be appreciated!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LOL that putty looks like a massive amount of JB weld which well.. is not good no matter what :( Might be time to hit some junkyards if you have any around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512