208 Transfer case Whines? "Pitch changes when I grab the shifter"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edlanta

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello All,
I have a 1986 K10, 350 cu.in. TH350 trans and 3" lift. Just had my 208C transfer case overhauled because it was making noise. Bad bearings, cracked planetary gear etc... Now it whines as I drive down the road. When I grab the floor shift and move it slightly it changes pitch. Could this just be a linkage adjustment issue? Fluid level is good. Any ideas what may cause this?
Thanks!
Ed.

1979 c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rat
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
'Repaired' stuff shouldn't whine, especially with slight pressure on the shifter. Have your shop go on a test drive with you and explain it. That's where I would start, because the "fix" most likely starts with removing the recently repaired unit for inspection. Unfortunately.

As far as what is causing this, my thoughts drift towards bearing play allowing gears to mesh improperly. But I'm not the expert, that person is on the way shortly.

Edlanta

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll have to run it back over to the shop. I have the front end apart and was hoping that someone else may have experienced it and was an easy fix. Nothing on this truck has been so far. Thanks for the reply! Ed.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like a bad bearing. Yes new bearings can be bad. Does it do it in 4HI or 4LO as well or is it a different sound? Since you are hearing it in 2HI, most likely its on the main output shaft.

Key thing, if it wasn't there before the repair and is now... something that was most likely touched by them. Any new dents in the driveline?

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Any noises in High2 range should be investigated since there's no pressure on the planetaries and they're just coasting really.

But the OP said that if he pushes on the shifter, the sound changes.

That's just wrong on many levels.

It's back-to-the-shop for your truck, I think. But first, check the fluid level -- and see if they forgot to put it in --- yeah --- it happens.

That's one reason why I like my transfer case --- no pump -- just seriously overfilled!

Edlanta

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have not tried any other gear but 2H. The whine was load and I just wanted to get home. The shop said to bring it back so that is what I'll do. Just hoping to get lucky if it was a linkage adjustment.
Thanks All!
Ed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128