Transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
A friend had a 454 in a square body Blazer with the 203 full time transfer case. He would kick the transfer case into low lock and drag race off the stop lights. If the chain held, there was nothing that could beat it off the line. If the chain didn't hold, he coasted to the side of the road and hoped the chain didn't pile up in the bottom and grenade the case?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, most CUCV's had the 208.

To replace the 208 with a 205, you would need the round pattern style 205, along with the mounting adapter. Both are expensive. The figure 8 style 205 setup requires a different length output shaft in the th400.

But I believe there are a couple other ways to make it work. Iirc, you can use the long style 205 input shaft from a round pattern case, in the figure 8 style case, to also use the figure 8 style adapter. I'm not 100% positive on that, so more research would be recommended. I believe you can also go about it a couple different ways using high dollar aftermarket conversion parts.
Oh yes, I forgot all about that output shaft difference. I was thinking all combinations even use the same length driveshafts and all. Though that's true, that doesn't start until the round pattern came about.

cadyED

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Lq9
Round np205 are easy to find the figure 8 np205 is the hard one to find and I have an extra

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
You must be registered for see images attach

strange, someone put a np208 in your cucv unless 1 ton cucvs had them.. which i could of swore they did np205

Ok so it’s confirmed a 208, I’m pretty sure I’ve heard they all had the 205’s in them as well which is why I was confused it had a 208. But are they interchangeable? I’d like to use a 205 so I can twin stick it but if it’s too big of a pain then I’ll do it later on when I redo it.

Internet folklore. :D

Most CUCVs had the NP208. I have a M1008 and M1028, both of which came with the NP208. Some of the CUCV variants that required a PTO got the NP205. There's all kinds of information available on the steelsoldiers.com website for anyone interested.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
From what I recall the CUCV’s came in different GVW/load ratings, so they may have used different transfer cases for the HD trucks.

The M1008 (Blazer) definitely had higher gears and you could really tell the difference on the highway. Most of the pickups we used had 4:56 gears because they were shelter carriers. The shelters (like a camper) had radios and other communications gear inside, and the truck also towed a generator trailer with two 5kw generators. We had a few standard pickups that just had troop seats in the bed, so they were probably a lower GVW.

The CUCV with a diesel was a big improvement over the older Dodge M880 pickups. The Dodges had smog-era 318 engines that were really underpowered. If you dropped a tire into a hole in a field or got on too much of a slope, sometimes the Dodges just ran out of power and could not move.
The CUCV Blazer is a M1009.
Pickup is the M1008.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Round np205 are easy to find the figure 8 np205 is the hard one to find and I have an extra

You probably should buy all the round 205's you find and resell them. You apparently live in backwards land, lol. I've got 4 or 5 figure 8's and only one round pattern 205.

How often do you also find hydro clutch setups? Just wondering.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You probably should buy all the round 205's you find and resell them. You apparently live in backwards land, lol. I've got 4 or 5 figure 8's and only one round pattern 205.

How often do you also find hydro clutch setups? Just wondering.
Yeah id like to know too because if they are plentiful ill do what they do here and bring southern body parts and trucks and sell them to us northerners at such huge markups that are , essentially, reasonable because of the fact one doesnt need to devote time to go on a road trip and bring something back.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Really??? Quite the opposite where I come from. And Round is much more expensive also. So where do find all these round NP205's and what do they sell for in your area?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think there is medication for dyslexia?

Just fyi, I swapped the OEM 208 slip yoke from my 85 K20 with a NOS round pattern (Yes, don't ask) 205 fixed yoke. The OEM crossmember doesn't change, but both driveshafts do. If the t-case has the short input shaft it will bolt directly to the transmission IF it's a round pattern. If its a long input shaft you will need a ring adapter (1 5/8th") thick. I don't know about shifter mounts but if you go thru the hassle of installing a 205, you'd be uhhhh....an idiot not to Twin Stick it which negates the mounting issue. If your stuck with the earlier figure 8 t-case, I don't know the details of that swap but I know there are parts and pieces to make it work. Is it worth it? Depends

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think there is medication for dyslexia?

Just fyi, I swapped the OEM 208 slip yoke from my 85 K20 with a NOS round pattern (Yes, don't ask) 205 fixed yoke. The OEM crossmember doesn't change, but both driveshafts do. If the t-case has the short input shaft it will bolt directly to the transmission IF it's a round pattern. If its a long input shaft you will need a ring adapter (1 5/8th") thick. I don't know about shifter mounts but if you go thru the hassle of installing a 205, you'd be uhhhh....an idiot not to Twin Stick it which negates the mounting issue. If your stuck with the earlier figure 8 t-case, I don't know the details of that swap but I know there are parts and pieces to make it work. Is it worth it? Depends
the earlier figure 8 cases are weaker if i recall right, such that if you are pushing her hard and twin sticking you may want to just find a round case anyway. also if you run it behind an auto, use ATF for lube but if you run it behind manual you can use gear oil. But the later sm465s also came with atf in them.. so your choice then

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the earlier figure 8 cases are weaker if i recall right, such that if you are pushing her hard and twin sticking you may want to just find a round case anyway. also if you run it behind an auto, use ATF for lube but if you run it behind manual you can use gear oil. But the later sm465s also came with atf in them.. so your choice then
I never heard they were weaker. Could be true but I don't recall ever hearing that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I never heard they were weaker. Could be true but I don't recall ever hearing that.
i may be thinking of the sm465 mated to them then , something was weaker in relation to that pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod