New Truck, First Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
THAT'S IT, thanks for posting that, I was wondering how it was made, heck I can make one of them..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the link, that makes it even easier..

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I finally got this all figured out...I did replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and the fuel line that I messed up, no biggie, but still wasn't getting fuel to to the carb. I got it towed to my buddy's shop and once we got it on the lift the puzzle pieces began to fall in place.

Turns out, at some point the switchover for the duel tanks was bypassed, so even though I have a nearly full passenger side tank, my near empty driver's side is all that's being used. Blew out the line, she started right up. Just for some peace of mind, we dropped the driver side tank and put in a new strainer on the sending unit, the original one had practically disintegrated.

So my next question is what do I do with a useless passenger side tank full of gas? Is it worth trying to find out why this was done or should I drop it and eliminate it for good?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So I finally got this all figured out...I did replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and the fuel line that I messed up, no biggie, but still wasn't getting fuel to to the carb. I got it towed to my buddy's shop and once we got it on the lift the puzzle pieces began to fall in place.

Turns out, at some point the switchover for the duel tanks was bypassed, so even though I have a nearly full passenger side tank, my near empty driver's side is all that's being used. Blew out the line, she started right up. Just for some peace of mind, we dropped the driver side tank and put in a new strainer on the sending unit, the original one had practically disintegrated.

So my next question is what do I do with a useless passenger side tank full of gas? Is it worth trying to find out why this was done or should I drop it and eliminate it for good?
It's definitely worth it. Your range with that one small tank isn't gonna be anything special. It seems like you're saying the selector valve was bypassed where only one tank would function. Well, the guy who owned it might have clogged up the valve by sucking trash out of that decommissioned tank, and he just bypassed it and went on. If the wire is right there or close by, which there was no reason to disturb it, you should be able to blow out the lines, put a new sock in the tank, replace the selector valve, and be good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 62

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
thanks again! i will definitely be doing this in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus