Dual Tank Switch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I gassed up my '87 R10 today only to find later that the dual tank switch won't go to the right (passenger side) tank. The engine died as soon as I switched over to the right tank so I switched it back to the left and the truck re-started. Never had this happen before and I have switched sides often. No bad fuses so could it be the switch has finally given up? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What has me puzzled is that the switch worked fine earlier the day I gassed up. Maybe having more gas in the tank than I usually have triggered the problem. I changed out the switch and checked a few of the fuses but nothing.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I gassed up my '87 R10 today only to find later that the dual tank switch won't go to the right (passenger side) tank. The engine died as soon as I switched over to the right tank so I switched it back to the left and the truck re-started. Never had this happen before and I have switched sides often. No bad fuses so could it be the switch has finally given up? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If it died when you pressed the switch it's probably the valve or an obstruction between the RH tank and the valve.

I believe '87 should have in tank electric fuel pumps too, you could have a pump going bad.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll be trying to eliminate these possible causes as I can and let you know if I find the culprit.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
What has me puzzled is that the switch worked fine earlier the day I gassed up. Maybe having more gas in the tank than I usually have triggered the problem. I changed out the switch and checked a few of the fuses but nothing.
Does your fuel gauge work? If it does I’d agree on it likely being an in tank pump issue.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
No, my fuel gauge is not working as it should. The left tank shows nothing and the right tank shows 3/4 full. After flipping the tank selector switch with the ignition off and back on, the gauge pegged full in the right tank. I've read somewhere here that's an indication of something but can't remember what. Also saw somewhere earlier that if the tank selector switch has no power, the right tank is the default tank and continues to get fuel. Is that correct?

Last edited:

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
No, my fuel gauge is not working as it should. The left tank shows nothing and the right tank shows 3/4 full. After flipping the tank selector switch with the ignition off and back on, the gauge pegged full in the right tank. I've read somewhere here that's an indication of something but can't remember what. Also saw somewhere earlier that if the tank selector switch has no power, the right tank is the default tank and continues to get fuel. Is that correct?
Also, what fuse would possibly be a part of this ongoing problem? Thanks again for any and all suggestions.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Usually, the gauge pegged past full is an indicator of an open circuit.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
My truck did something similar when my valve gave up. There is an ECM fuse that was open as well post repairs. I’d check your fuses, and power at the valve connector. Short answer on the default tank question is I think so? However if the valve is stuck in the middle as mine was…. No fuel at all.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
I just replaced everything and mine is acting similar. I’m new to all this. I heard things like pump ran dry and failed, pinched hose, etc. I told my welder son all this and he asked, “did you use flux when you soldiered it?“ …uuuhhhh, what is flux? So now I have to redo the wires, and i was so damn proud of myself.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Go here, Post #4.

Also, there is a 2-wire connector on the firewall near the acceleerator cable. Check that for bad/good connection.

And there's this . . .
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Can anyone tell me if there is an inline fuse or possibly one in the fuse panel that is related to the tank selector switch? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey