New TPS= High Idle ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Ok...UPDATE: The funniest thing occurred...I checked the IAC and observed the small tip pop out into the passage. But only when the engine was turned on. Not with just the key turned on. So hopefully that means its working right? As for the TPS, I started the truck and then I unscrewed the TPS while it was connected to the harness. I began to play with the lever as the engine began to rev high and low. Well as I kept adjusting the lever on the TPS, I ended up finding a sweet spot where the motor idled just right. So I mounted the tps back to the throttle body and tightened it up gently to make sure I didn't lose that sweet idle spot. I put the air cleaner and all parts back on and took it for a spin. She's running great now. I dont know what happened or if it's just a temporary fix but the truck seems to be idling right. BUT...when i came home, I popped the hood and checked the voltage on the TPS...It was reading 1.15 still. I'm going to check it again. Maybe I checked it wrong, but as far as my motor, she's purring right now.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok...UPDATE: The funniest thing occurred...I checked the IAC and observed the small tip pop out into the passage. But only when the engine was turned on. Not with just the key turned on. So hopefully that means its working right? As for the TPS, I started the truck and then I unscrewed the TPS while it was connected to the harness. I began to play with the lever as the engine began to rev high and low. Well as I kept adjusting the lever on the TPS, I ended up finding a sweet spot where the motor idled just right. So I mounted the tps back to the throttle body and tightened it up gently to make sure I didn't lose that sweet idle spot. I put the air cleaner and all parts back on and took it for a spin. She's running great now. I dont know what happened or if it's just a temporary fix but the truck seems to be idling right. BUT...when i came home, I popped the hood and checked the voltage on the TPS...It was reading 1.15 still. I'm going to check it again. Maybe I checked it wrong, but as far as my motor, she's purring right now.

Ok, go ahead and keep the TPS I am sending....its already in the mail. Just to confirm, the dark blue wire it the Pos. and the black wire is the neg.
Is the idle screw capped off?

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Im going to run it again this afternoon and see what happens. But my question is...what happened? Lol im still going to test the voltage also. Because it didnt make send to idle good and still read high.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Im going to run it again this afternoon and see what happens. But my question is...what happened? Lol im still going to test the voltage also. Because it didnt make send to idle good and still read high.

Well, If the IAC is always buried shut, that means there is a vacuum leak, or the throttle screw has been adjusted open too much<would splain the high TPS voltage.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Im not sure where the throttle screw it. But I will double check that Im checking the blue and black. Im just following the connector since it has the letters A B and C on it. Oh and the iac only popped out when the motor was on. So im assuming thats no good?

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Im not sure where the throttle screw it. But I will double check that Im checking the blue and black. Im just following the connector since it has the letters A B and C on it. Oh and the iac only popped out when the motor was on. So im assuming thats no good?

No, if it closed completely with the engine running,mthat means that air is getting by somewhere else, like a leak, and the IAC is closing to compensate. the onlybwaybtontell if anything is getting passed the IAC,nis to stick your pinky in the passage while the engine is running, to see if you feel any suction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord