new rotors old hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Hoping the hubs are good, they look good but what do I know from good? Replacing the races & bearings, rotors, wheel studs and brake pads. Hopefully I don't screw that up like I did the fuel system. Got one of these too.

You must be registered for see images attach
Just an update, after using this tool to snug up the rotor to hub. It stripped the lug nut. Might work on a Toyota but not on these tight bad boys. Again I did not have enough ass to tighten it down enough to snug the hub and rotor together. Pounded them back out and will attempt again today with some more hole cleaning and anti seize compound. Oh yeah, the studs have been in the freezer all night.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Air hammer.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Air hammer.
Air hammer, took to friend and 1 minute later they were both done! Unfortunately here in sunny FLA, his lathe machine was all rusted up. If there would be an issue with the straightness of my new set up, I'll take it all apart and we'll clean the rust off his machine and true it all up.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Air hammer, took to friend and 1 minute later they were both done! Unfortunately here in sunny FLA, his lathe machine was all rusted up. If there would be an issue with the straightness of my new set up, I'll take it all apart and we'll clean the rust off his machine and true it all up.
Eh.... Should be fine so long as there was no obvious debris between the rotor hat and hub. When I worked in tire shops that was how we did them & I never got a vibration complaint caused by new rotors on old hubs. It was almost always overheated warped rotors or a tire issue.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Eh.... Should be fine so long as there was no obvious debris between the rotor hat and hub. When I worked in tire shops that was how we did them & I never got a vibration complaint caused by new rotors on old hubs. It was almost always overheated warped rotors or a tire issue.
Wire brushed, brake cleaned, wiped spotless. 99.9 percent sure it's good. I'll post how it turned out.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
My goodness, every time I think I'm just gonna knock some little job out, the universe throws a monkey wrench in the works. Must be to keep me humble. First, getting all the parts, bearings, races, rotors, lug studs, grease, pads... returning one thing getting another, all said and done, it took four days but it's done and I could not be happier. Breaks straight with little effort, no noise, no shimmy and if I didn't know better I think a little of the vibration I was experiencing is gone. Whiskey time! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and insights.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Congratulations Ron, happy for you to be done with that job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara