new rotors old hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Getting ready for front brakes. Does everyone reuse the hubs, pressing them out? How about the lugs? Whats the smartest way to go? Can the hubs/lugs and rotors be purchased as a kit? Google not helping, need Square insiders help.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Having a hard time with finding hub and rotor in stock. Rockauto, summit, Amazon, all my regular sites out of stock.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Need new lugs, these are beat up.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Use the old hubs and press, air hammer, or hammer the studs out. Mate old hub to new rotor and put in the new studs.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Having a hard time with finding hub and rotor in stock. Rockauto, summit, Amazon, all my regular sites out of stock.
I've only had one hub go bad since i've had my square. Probably because I didn't set bearing preload correctly and it was obvious it was needed before disassembly.

Summit has the low end "AC Delco Silver line" rotors in stock, studs too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ADO-18A35A

Order a set of bearings/races and an inner hub seal from your local parts house, degrease, clean and inspect your bearings while you are in there. Repack and reassemble everything.

Return the new bearings if not needed, its just a major PIA to disassemble the hubs and put them back together with bad bearings while you wait for replacements to show and have to do it all over again.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
If you have good hubs, reuse them. Drive the studs out. Buy new rotors, and studs. I suggest Air hammer if you have one. If your hubs are bad...check out O'Reilly's. I'm not one to push a certain retail store, but they just got me a set of 3/4 ton front rotors and hubs, for my Blazer. They were the cheapest. About 1/2, 87.00 each, when everyone else was 148.00 or higher. They had to special order them, and I had to pay a little extra for delivery.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Hoping the hubs are good, they look good but what do I know from good? Replacing the races & bearings, rotors, wheel studs and brake pads. Hopefully I don't screw that up like I did the fuel system. Got one of these too.

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hoping the hubs are good, they look good but what do I know from good? Replacing the races & bearings, rotors, wheel studs and brake pads. Hopefully I don't screw that up like I did the fuel system. Got one of these too.

Is that for pulling new studs in with a tapered lug nut?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

It isn't a big job, just take your time. Get yourself some shop rags if you don't have any. When you take your Auto, or Manuel hubs out, lay them out in the order you take the pieces out. You will need a 4x4 spindle nut tool. DO NOT take the chance on trying to remove the spindle nut with a chisel, or flat blade screw driver and mess up the threads.

What is that tool you have pictured?

Here is the Spindle Nut Tool

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
It isn't a big job, just take your time. Get yourself some shop rags if you don't have any. When you take your Auto, or Manuel hubs out, lay them out in the order you take the pieces out. You will need a 4x4 spindle nut tool. DO NOT take the chance on trying to remove the spindle nut with a chisel, or flat blade screw driver and mess up the threads.

Thanks, Buddy gave me his. With my luck, wouldn't attempt the job without it.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size

"It isn't a big job" my famous last words. Dropping the gas gas tank and replacing the fuel pump was a cake walk. Now the fuel system is twice as bad as before I touched it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Your fuel valve problem has gotten many...many people. From parts stores giving the wrong one, certain year trucks has different valves. Don't beat yourself up too much (that's our job) LOL. You are not the first one, and won't be the last to have fuel valve issues. One of the big reasons I swap to a Blazer/Suburban fuel tank.

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Reuse the hubs and studs unless worn out. Air hammer makes light work of pressing studs in/out
Did this on my 79 Scout. Hammering did nothing and had the strong chance of messing up threads.

Air hammer works just fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK