New LS Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I went and ordered the HP Tuner today to program the LS computers. Just couldn't see paying what some were asking.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
For swaps and anything older you can use OBDx ProVT tool for $60 and then use PCM Hammer or LSDroid to read/write and tunerpro to do all your tuning for free. They also have PCM Logger t odatalog and tune yourself using the same tool

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
For swaps and anything older you can use OBDx ProVT tool for $60 and then use PCM Hammer or LSDroid to read/write and tunerpro to do all your tuning for free. They also have PCM Logger t odatalog and tune yourself using the same tool

I checked into TunerPro and the other website where you get your info would not let me register. So, I just bought the HP Tuner.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I checked into TunerPro and the other website where you get your info would not let me register. So, I just bought the HP Tuner.

What website? You shouldn't have had to register for anything? Maybe GearheadEFI? They have a bunch of XDF's and .bin files, but aren't necessary for just tuning. LSdroid is an android app that you can run on a phone or tablet and also now has a windows app. It has the stock known good bin files built into the program for all the major ones. PCM hammer and PCM logger are freeware and there is no login needed for any of it.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
What website? You shouldn't have had to register for anything? Maybe GearheadEFI? They have a bunch of XDF's and .bin files, but aren't necessary for just tuning. LSdroid is an android app that you can run on a phone or tablet and also now has a windows app. It has the stock known good bin files built into the program for all the major ones. PCM hammer and PCM logger are freeware and there is no login needed for any of it.

It was a forum, and I already deleted that site. OBD (something).org. It was a site that was connected with the Turner Pro. After I watched a few videos on Tuner Pro, it suggested that site. Never mentioned the ones you have.

I'm only going to be doing basic tuning, nothing custom. Not many in this area that are doing programming, at least at a decent price. One wanted $400. So, I bought the HP Tuner. Should make my money back after a few times programming.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It was a forum, and I already deleted that site. OBD (something).org. It was a site that was connected with the Turner Pro. After I watched a few videos on Tuner Pro, it suggested that site. Never mentioned the ones you have.

I'm only going to be doing basic tuning, nothing custom. Not many in this area that are doing programming, at least at a decent price. One wanted $400. So, I bought the HP Tuner. Should make my money back after a few times programming.

Yeah, the pricing for all of that is outrageous. I thought about EFIlive or HPTuners, but I just couldn't justify the cost... especially when you realize that you still have to pay hundreds of dollars for "credits" to tune another ECU, even if it is in the same car. For $60, I can change the OS, adjust every major parameter, and log/tune the final product just like HP tuners does, but without any additional fees. If I was doing it as a business and could pass on the credit fees to the customer I would definitely be using either one of those since they are a little faster and have better support. Since I'm just a garage hobbyist, I'd rather learn about doing it on my own and save the cash for other things.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Yeah, the pricing for all of that is outrageous. I thought about EFIlive or HPTuners, but I just couldn't justify the cost... especially when you realize that you still have to pay hundreds of dollars for "credits" to tune another ECU, even if it is in the same car. For $60, I can change the OS, adjust every major parameter, and log/tune the final product just like HP tuners does, but without any additional fees. If I was doing it as a business and could pass on the credit fees to the customer I would definitely be using either one of those since they are a little faster and have better support. Since I'm just a garage hobbyist, I'd rather learn about doing it on my own and save the cash for other things.

I plan on doing the tuning for others and just pass the cost to them. I've been watching a lot of videos, and it not that hard to do just the basics.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I plan on doing the tuning for others and just pass the cost to them. I've been watching a lot of videos, and it not that hard to do just the basics.
Post up some of the videos if you would. I'm going to be doing a lot of tuning myself in the coming months using efilive but I'd like to get a handle on doing OS swaps, segment swaps and the like.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Post up some of the videos if you would. I'm going to be doing a lot of tuning myself in the coming months using efilive but I'd like to get a handle on doing OS swaps, segment swaps and the like.

I'm currently looking into the open source TunerPro and PCM Hammer software as well. Waiting on some computer stuff I bought.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
you won't be sorry you bought HP Tuners. It's a good program. Not perfect, but plenty good.
Spend a little time building a good Speed Density Tuning template for the scanner, then get a wideband O2 and you'll be off and running.
A year after swapping mine I'm still changing shift points and converter lockup points, playing with throttle cracker, adding electric fans, and on and on.
You won't be sorry you bought it.

I do recommend getting the LS Droid app for your phone. If nothing else it will let you recover a bricked processor, or even clone your PCM if it ever goes bad. If you clone it, you won't have to pay HP Tuners for another license fee when you replace it.

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224