New here, need help with a dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iloveguns22

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey, Im looking for help and found this forum, I'm 15 years old and redoing my 1982 k10 interior. I bought a dash for $200 thinking it was a good deal, but I didn't realize that there was a difference, or that this one would be a piece of junk, bend like a noodle, and not fit right. I am fed up and wanting to buy a black nos dash, one that is solid, easy to install, and looks nice like the original. If anyone has any advice or knows where I can get one, info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Nick

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Nick. We do share the good stuff here, but also the bad too. So noone makes the same mistake you did, do you mind saying where you got that one that you're not happy with? Is it just not workable at all? Never know, maybe the flexible is better against drying out, cracking and splitting as opposed to a more harder brittle dash? :shrug:
I've never bought or redid a dash pad, but there are guys here what will come in with some info and advice.

iloveguns22

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome Nick. We do share the good stuff here, but also the bad too. So noone makes the same mistake you did, do you mind saying where you got that one that you're not happy with? Is it just not workable at all? Never know, maybe the flexible is better against drying out, cracking and splitting as opposed to a more harder brittle dash? :shrug:
I've never bought or redid a dash pad, but there are guys here what will come in with some info and advice.

I bought the dash from summit racing. It simply was called a dash, not OEM or anything, so I assumed it would be same as the original, except newer, however it was flexible rather than stiff, material had to be cut from under the brackets to get the clips in, and the three on the driver side did not fit properly. Now I am just looking for a NOS if anyone can tell me where I can get one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You still have your old dash right? Don't throw it away and don't let it get damaged any further. I know there is such thing as overlays you can buy, and that might be what you bought from Summit, that go over your OEM dash. There are also some ideas where people have coated the OEM dash with fibreglass, sanded it and painted it the same color as the vehicle. Those turn out really good in most cases, and I'm certain, they'd last about forever. Just hang tight and check in often. I'm sure someone will be here to help soon.

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
take your original dash, cover it with a fleece blanket, and staple it at the back of your dash pad, coat it with 2 or 3 coats of fiberglass and 3 or 4 of body filler (bondo), sand smooth and paint. remember to cut out the air and defrost vents and staple them on the back as well

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
take your original dash, cover it with a fleece blanket, and staple it at the back of your dash pad, coat it with 2 or 3 coats of fiberglass and 3 or 4 of body filler (bondo), sand smooth and paint. remember to cut out the air and defrost vents and staple them on the back as well

This is the idea was explaining. I've seen some turn our fantastic. Seems to be alot of work too, but the cheap cost of materials vs buying a new one, the fact this will last about forever I say it's worth and what I intend to try when get this far in my builds. I can see spending $200 or more on a new one, then freaking out everytime someone looks at it wrong, lays something on it, or worried about where I park to keep the sun off of it.

Optional Reading if you wish..

I've actually had more problem in freezing weather with mine cracking than hot weather. I had found a used dash pad in perfect shape out of a CUCV one time. Installed it. Looked great. One freezing cold morning, I slammed my door and I heard this loud pop as if someone thru a rock at the windshield. I thought WTF and looked over the windshield and no new chips. Went about my trip, and sitting at a red light about 10 minutes later, I noticed this huge long crack in my newly installed dash. The good dash was apparently very dry and when I slammed that door, it was enough to cause a big ass stress crack. Man was I pissed.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like you got one of those aftermarket urethane dashes. I haven't heard one good thing about them yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you got one of those aftermarket urethane dashes. I haven't heard one good thing about them yet.

That sounds like a possibility. If so, an expensive mistake if Summit won't take it back, or can't since it may have been modded during installation. But, at least you know now Nick.
You're a member here now. Take advantage of that. Just like, why I asked you, if you'd share with us where you got it. This is so none of us make the same mistake. Even the guys on this forum that know their ****, will usually talk about a mod, repair or retrofit they have in mind of doing BEFORE actually pulling the trigger and spending a good amount of cash on the project. This way we hope to eliminate making the mistake you just made, or someone may just have a much better idea all together or have had a good experience somewhere else, and be told of the bad experiences too. There will likely be others to tell you what other options you have.

Since your thread is more about this dash issue, I'm moving it from Intro to Interior.

iloveguns22

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That sounds like a possibility. If so, an expensive mistake if Summit won't take it back, or can't since it may have been modded during installation. But, at least you know now Nick.
You're a member here now. Take advantage of that. Just like, why I asked you, if you'd share with us where you got it. This is so none of us make the same mistake. Even the guys on this forum that know their ****, will usually talk about a mod, repair or retrofit they have in mind of doing BEFORE actually pulling the trigger and spending a good amount of cash on the project. This way we hope to eliminate making the mistake you just made, or someone may just have a much better idea all together or have had a good experience somewhere else, and be told of the bad experiences too. There will likely be others to tell you what other options you have.

Since your thread is more about this dash issue, I'm moving it from Intro to Interior.

Thanks for moving it, I don't really know how to do this stuff on my phone. And yes, it is a urethane dash. I'm sure someone here has replaced a dash, so could you explain the installation of an original or NOS dash? Do the clips in the back actually clip into the holes in the metal part of the dash frame? Or do they just slide into the cutout holes? Are they easy to install properly without a rattle? Any othe tips? Thanks.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Another option to painting a fiberglassed dash would be to coat it with a light undercoating or bedliner spray. I got a friend that did his that way and came out real nice. I'll get some pics of it tonight.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for moving it, I don't really know how to do this stuff on my phone. And yes, it is a urethane dash. I'm sure someone here has replaced a dash, so could you explain the installation of an original or NOS dash? Do the clips in the back actually clip into the holes in the metal part of the dash frame? Or do they just slide into the cutout holes? Are they easy to install properly without a rattle? Any othe tips? Thanks.

Ok, you're talking about the clips up near the windshield? I do beleive those slide into the cutout holes as to like work like a hinge. So so lift the dash get the clips into the cutouts, then let the front of the dash come down, working it into place. You have the cluster bezel loose too right? I'd at least loosen those, or better even probably just to take them out and let the bezel come forward, get the dash in, then push the bezel back into place and screw it down snug.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^That's what I was thinking. I've taken a several of them out, but I guess I didn't pay that much attention.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Here are some pics of an oem dash fiberglassed with undercoat/bedliner sprayed on. It is suprizingly smooth to the touch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 77b261e4.jpg
    77b261e4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 432
  • ad394e5f.jpg
    ad394e5f.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 475
  • 3a2d93c6.jpg
    3a2d93c6.jpg