New here from Missouri

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaseDale3and8

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hello all. I new here. I found this site totally by accident doing an online search trying to find a solution to an electrical problem I've been having with my 1986 K10 Scottsdale short bed 4x4.

Anyway, I've owned many square body trucks over the years! I just love these old trucks! I've owned this one for the last 10 years now. It was pretty much unmolested when I got it and was rustier than I originally thought. That's okay though since these trucks are still very popular and have a lot of aftermarket support. I have most of what I need to do the body again. I even have a really nice rust free cab that I bought and had shipped up here from Texas. Right now though, I've just been driving and enjoying it for the last few years. This truck was my daily driver for the first 8 years of ownership. I took it off the road for a while in May of 2012 to do an engine swap as the original 305 was getting pretty tired.

I built up a 355 for it back in 2009. It's a 2 bolt main 1973 0010 block and GM 993 casting heads that I had ported out at a local machine shop. The heads now have 2.02/1.60 stainless steel Elgin valves, Comp Cams springs, locks, and retainers to match the Comp 280 Magnum cam and GM double roller timing set. The bottom end consists of a .030 overbore, TRW forged pistons, forged GM rods, and stock GM cast crank that had been ground .010/.010, and installed a Melling M55 high volume oil pump. I topped it off with a Summit Racing dual plane intake and a Holley 650 carb and a set of old Blackjack AK 5000 headers that I bought off of a guy a few years back with a bunch of other parts that I bought.

I built this engine just like the last one I built years ago and put in my '82 Silverado that I wish I'd never let go of. This truck pulls hard, runs and sounds great! I've been having electrical problems with it since the engine swap but hopefully I'll get that all taken care of soon. It quit on me today right in the middle of an intersection on the way home as if I shut the key off! I only have head and tail lights, and nothing else works! There's a guy a few miles away that parts these old trucks out so I'm going to see if he has another engine wiring harness that I can buy and rewire it and see if that fixes it. I'm hoping it will since I'm not an electrician and I'm running out of patience! I have a video of it idling before it quit on me that I'll try to upload if I can. Great site! ...Joe

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! Your user name looks very familiar to me, I must have seen it on another forum somewhere.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB.

Sounds as if you may have blown a fusible link in your main 10 gauge wire on he firewall to the starter, charger and ignition circuit.

You can either do a search and find more info, or I'd suggest fire up a new thread in the Tech section to get quicker help. Your Intro is long and your problem is likley to get overlooked for a quick response. Many guys don't look at the intro section. They come on, help out a few people and they split.

ChaseDale3and8

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Sorry for the long intro. You may have seen my name over on some of the other truck sites before or maybe on nastyz28. I'm on a lot of them. I think I've found another engine wiring harness. The guy called me this morning and said he has one, so I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome: I'm in KC,Mo

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome. It was no accident that you found this site. It was predestined! Hope you get that electrical gremlin straightened out.

ChaseDale3and8

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome, I stay out of Missouri, My ex-wife is there! :hidesbehindsofa:

I'm a native resident here and so is my ex wife too. She lives on the southeast side of Springfield, and I live on the southwest side so we have only ran into one another once in the last 13 years so that's not too bad since she saw me with her hot little replacement! ;-)

ChaseDale3and8

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome. It was no accident that you found this site. It was predestined! Hope you get that electrical gremlin straightened out.

You just might be right! Glad I found it! I like it here! I hope I get rid of those electrical gremlins too! They drive me nuts! I did find another engine wiring harness and I also bought a new ignition switch. I'm planning to work on it this weekend. I'd like to have it up and running again by the 27th just so I can drive it to the Street Machine Nationals in Springfield that weekend.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah i always go to street machine national,as long as it in Springfield.about a hour and half away from there.be there again this year too

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I'm a native resident here and so is my ex wife too. She lives on the southeast side of Springfield, and I live on the southwest side so we have only ran into one another once in the last 13 years so that's not too bad since she saw me with her hot little replacement! ;-)

Mine lives over by Poplar Bluff, in the most Banjo backwoods town I have ever seen. We just got divorced so I am a little bitter! :upyours:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones