New Daily Driver (Caprice)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Planning to keep it stock? There's a lot you can do to make them go faster and handle better without changing the appearance much. But if you just want comfy American iron, stock is perfect.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Planning to keep it stock? There's a lot you can do to make them go faster and handle better without changing the appearance much. But if you just want comfy American iron, stock is perfect.

I don't really want to change the appearance of it just because I like how they look, but if I make it look, run, and drive good, I might consider some mods if they're not too invasive or expensive. I feel like it's gonna have one of those E4ME Quadrajets, which I doubt I would like so I may do something about that like change over to an M4ME Q-Jet. The car had a Jasper 305 swapped into it about six years ago so I don't know if still has the stock carb (most likely) or a whatever carb, and it's been running in limp mode the whole time. I feel like the primary benefit of a carburetor is simplicity when it comes to electronic interface, but if it works well, I'll hold onto it. What did you have in mind, though?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All the cool Impala SS/9C1 (police car) suspension and brake parts are basically a direct swap. And with that, you could run the 15x8 9C1 steelies or 15x8 C-10 pickup wheels with some wider tires mounted up. All while running a set of stock hubcaps, just not the wire ones.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can't beat it for the price. Maybe if you liquidate your projects, you can work on Caprices for a while. Oh, I went to look at the car, and here's what I found out. It has a 305/700R4 combination. I thought that was sort of uncommon but whatever. Chassis and underbody are immaculate. Trunk is good. Engine seems okay, and engine bay is dusty but tidy. It needs a new battery tray and inner fender on the passenger side. It looks like it was eaten by sulfuric acid. It uses a Rochester E4ME computer controlled Quadrajet. I'm going to have the paperwork done to transfer the title, and I'm just gonna have it towed here, and then work on it in the yard. The lady is really paranoid about things, and out of sight out of mind is gonna make it a lot easier. Couldn't jack it up to test suspension because it's parked on a steep hill. Apparently, there's some loud, godawful noise associated with the suspension issues. Any thoughts? Oh, and the seats are actually in good shape. Headliner is a disaster, and the carpet is trashed, but no biggie. Looks my square is getting a sister. Sorry, Jimmy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like a good one. The 305/700r4 was very common actually.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
To make up for the lack of Caprice pictures...I shall ***** mine out (complete with random light pole, in homage to the car's PO, @Old77).

attachment.php

Nice!

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
You wanted to see it, too @Old77.

Nice box caprice there - I can see that it can be brought back and it should do great. I agree with a lot of what's been said already: b-body cars are great. I had the Roadmaster on a weekend trip last month and there's still nothing like it- it's a TBI so no optispark there :)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Really? I would have thought just the station wagons or the police cars got the 700, and the rest got the 200. She said that she wasn't sure if the second engine was the same displacement as the original, but I'm sure it's still a 305 because it would have to be rejetted for say a 350, right? I'll post more info when I get it. I'm really impatient with this. I'm just ready to get it home.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Nice box caprice there - I can see that it can be brought back and it should do great. I agree with a lot of what's been said already: b-body cars are great. I had the Roadmaster on a weekend trip last month and there's still nothing like it- it's a TBI so no optispark there :)

Thanks, bud. I'm excited about it. And yeah, I love TBI. I hope I can get someone to get the dents out and paint it for a good price.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Looks good, man! :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
To make up for the lack of Caprice pictures...I shall ***** mine out (complete with random light pole, in homage to the car's PO, @Old77).

attachment.php

:lol: I can say I've missed this ol' girl but it always makes me happy to know that she's with a good home and obviously being well cared for :hands: This is the first pic I've see since selling her.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Really? I would have thought just the station wagons or the police cars got the 700, and the rest got the 200. She said that she wasn't sure if the second engine was the same displacement as the original, but I'm sure it's still a 305 because it would have to be rejetted for say a 350, right? I'll post more info when I get it. I'm really impatient with this. I'm just ready to get it home.

No, you don't have to rejet for the 350. If she bought a long block and had a good technician, he'd have advised her that the 350 long blocks are cheaper and more commonly produced so they are cheaper than the 305 and he talked her into the 350 being installed. It may still have the 305 intake and exhaust manifolds, but it could be a 350 if she had a motor swap done. I've seen it happen a # of times. And it's true, you can get a crate or long block 350 much cheaper than a 305.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No, you don't have to rejet for the 350. If she bought a long block and had a good technician, he'd have advised her that the 350 long blocks are cheaper and more commonly produced so they are cheaper than the 305 and he talked her into the 350 being installed. It may still have the 305 intake and exhaust manifolds, but it could be a 350 if she had a motor swap done. I've seen it happen a # of times. And it's true, you can get a crate or long block 350 much cheaper than a 305.

And yet, I once bought an IROC-Z that was a true 350 car, but had a nearly new Jasper 305 installed. Insanity is what it is, lol.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Finally got the Caprice home. I got the title and antique plate purchased Friday, and I got it towed today. I went home, payed for the tow, and immediately met my girlfriend to go fishing. When I got back, I checked and saw that it had fluids that were used but not worn out. I cleaned up the battery bolts with a wire brush, and got the Jimmy battery in it. I turned the key, and the dummy lights did their little test so I turned the key to see what would happen. The last time it ran was last July, and the engine is six years old so I wasn't expecting anything disastrous. The starter sounded a little weird, like skippy or something (probably needs to rebuilt), but after a few tries the engine coughed to life, and with only a few moments coaxing, it idled by itself. It ran pretty well. I'm gonna call Jasper and ask them what engine is in it because I found some kind of serial decal. The engine is bare bone stock. It doesn't appear to have ever had a full tune up or major accessory or component replacement. The O2 sensor was new, and the alternator had been replaced, but everything looked like it had never been touched, which is bad because it should have been, but at least I know what to expect, and I can do a full tune up next weekend and make it run great. I tried the transmission, and the car ran and drove. I didn't go any farther than my driveway, but I think I really lucked out here. As far as the suspension issue goes, I inspected the front suspension components, and everything looked great except the shocks. I did a bounce test, and it might as well not have had shocks because that thing will nose dive to where the front bumper almost touches the pavement. I think that should fix my issue, and if it doesn't, it can't be that serious. Tune up to make it run, fluid replacement, and then I'll do the shocks. It should run and drive superbly then, and it's off to the body shop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69