New brake calipers? Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I have looked through the main auto stores and even rock auto and it seems as though no one carries new brake calipers ... just reman.

i need two FL and two FR for an 83 C1500 GMC .... anyone know where these may be hiding?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The reman units are usually pretty good, a dirt cheeeeep. I did once buy a pair of remans and one of the boxes had a brand new caliper in it. Can't say it outlived the reman caliper for the other side though, because I've never used them yet. I bought them as spares (been a few years too) and the fact that I haven't needed them means the remans on my trucks are well worth the 12 bucks or whatever they cost. That's just my 2 cents though :)

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I've replaced my calipers with remans from autozone, I had one that was sticking, took it back got another, and everythings been fine ever since. You can get a defective one, but that also can happen with new ones also.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The reman units are usually pretty good, a dirt cheeeeep. I did once buy a pair of remans and one of the boxes had a brand new caliper in it. Can't say it outlived the reman caliper for the other side though, because I've never used them yet. I bought them as spares (been a few years too) and the fact that I haven't needed them means the remans on my trucks are well worth the 12 bucks or whatever they cost. That's just my 2 cents though :)

I could not agree with this any more^

I put cheapie Autozone reman calipers and cheap pads on my 85 in 2010. Its been a daily driver ever since and brakes are still gooder than hell. I just put a set of Napa's premium line rebuilt calipers on my SS truck and I like them so far.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
10-4. thanks for the info and the links. Ill look into it all and see what comes of it.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
speaking of brakes ... im replacing the front calipers and doing a disc swap on the rear axle using front calipers ( makes it simple for me .... same caliper and pad front to rear).

what are the differences in the brake codes (the sticker from my truck is long gone) and will they matter since im changing everything?

Last edited:

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
so i found this:

BRAKE SYSTEM,PWR MED DUTY
JB1 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,MAN DISC/DRUM
JB2 76 81 BRAKE SYSTEM,DISC/DRUM
JB3 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,VAC PWR DISC/DRUM
JB5 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,VAC PWR DISC/DRUM
J86 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,VAC PWR DISC/DRUM
JB7 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,VAC PWR DISC/DRUM
JB8 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,HYD PWR DISC/DRUM
JC4 82 87 BRAKE,FRT VENTED ROTOR
JD3 76 87 BRAKE SYSTEM,VAC PWR DISC/DRUM
JD5 76 88 BRAKE SYSTEM,PWR DISC

and that leads me to believe that the code specifies power or manual, hydraulic or vacuum, and disc/drum or disc/disc.

my assumption is the booster and (especially) master cylinder my differ for different brake codes that pertain to different codes / levels of braking (i.e light, medium, heavy duty).

I have noticed a difference in master cylinder bore size from 36mm to 40mm depending on coding.

Any brake Guru's shed some light on this for me?

My direction right now is to go with a JD5 code as it was originally spec'd as 4 wheel disc (which is what i want, thus corresponding parts should work well enough in the realm of my build).

thoughts?

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
my thoughts are as follows: new booster and master cylinder from JD5 code, stock JD5 calipers for the front and stock JD5 front calipers for the rear, SS lines, 2 PSI RPV on the front and the rear, braided SS stock front hoses on the front, Braided SS stock rear drop hose, braided SS stock front hoses on the rear (will have to cut and re-flare the SS line set on the rear axle and likely adapt it to the proper size for the front hoses from the caliper)

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The size/duty rating of the brakes that were originally specified for your model truck was primarily based on the vehicle's GVWR. However, several other factors (diesel power, Dana axle, etc) would have required a different code than the standard set up.

I would imagine those factors still take priority. IOW - it might be easiest to source new brakes that most easily integrate with your current axles.

Last edited:

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
The size/duty rating of the brakes that were originally specified for your model truck was primarily based on the vehicle's GVWR. However, several other factors (diesel power, Dana axle, etc) would have required a different code than the standard set up.

I would imagine those factors still take priority. IOW - it might be easiest to source new brakes that most easily integrate with your current axles.

Is there any way to find out what the code may have been? the GM code sticker is no where to be found

83 C1500 4.1l Vin code is D for 5001-6000lb GVWR hydraulic power brakes

i do not know if that corresponds to the give choices of JB1, JB3, JB5, JD3, or JD5 brake codes.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think you are missing my point.

If you are modifying your brakes, I would be less concerned with what the original code (load rating) was and more focused on what equipment is currently available for a 1/2 ton truck.

Look for components that are reasonably priced, will readily mount on your axles/hubs and won't require extensive modifications.

If all else fails - and you still want to try to replicate the OEM braking system - see if you can find a sympathetic dealer who will help you. If you provide them with the VIN they can pull up the vital factory stats for your truck.

Having said all that - (and knowing that JB3 Brakes = Power, Disc/Drum, 4600lbs), I think you would be safe in assuming that the original RPO code for your brakes was JB5.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I think you are missing my point.

If you are modifying your brakes, I would be less concerned with what the original code (load rating) was and more focused on what equipment is currently available for a 1/2 ton truck.

Look for components that are reasonably priced, will readily mount on your axles/hubs and won't require extensive modifications.

If all else fails - and you still want to try to replicate the OEM braking system - see if you can find a sympathetic dealer who will help you. If you provide them with the VIN they can pull up the vital factory stats for your truck.

Having said all that - (and knowing that JB3 Brakes = Power, Disc/Drum, 4600lbs), I think you would be safe in assuming that the original RPO code for your brakes was JB5.

gotcha ...

ill be making my own mounting brackets since i have not found one that uses the stock front calipers for the rear axle.

the e-brake will be done away with. Ill add in a proportioning valve to soften the rears to keep from swapping ends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD