New Again -- Bought Another Square Body!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Hi Everyone!

While the progress on my 85 GMC 1/2-ton is moving slowly, I needed a truck NOW. So I found one: 1978 Chevy 3/4-ton for a whopping $3,000.00 -- so far it's money well spent.

It has issues, but nothing like the turd of a 1970 C/10 it's replacing. Decent list of options: dual tanks (that need the selector valve replaced and lines re-routed), TH-400 behind a 350, cruise control, trailer brake controller, new inner fenders and battery mount, previously had a fifth-wheel mount in the bed. It starts and runs decently (working on improvements), and once you get to where you're going and shut it off it will re-start upon command (the old C/10 fails that test).

With needing to move parts around for the GMC as well as a house renovation in progress, I needed something that I could rely on. Once I do the routine maintenance and have things looked over with the suspension (alignment, rear brakes checked/replaced, new front tires) this guy will fit the bill. Once the GMC is ready to run and take over truck duties here I will pass this on as a good candidate to continue the upgrades or restoration -- already have had two people ask about buying it once I'm done with it.

I'll have questions about this one as I tackle the small issues that I've discovered so far. This forum has been an excellent resource, so I'm sure I'll be visiting more often.

Take Care,
KS

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350

Attachments

• blackie1.jpg
    blackie1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 97
  • blackie2.jpg
    blackie2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 91
  • blackie3.jpg
    blackie3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 89

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
I did the official first oil change on it today, yesterday I did the first major repair work on it by replacing the rear bumper with the one pictured above.

I couldn't believe how difficult just changing the bumper was. The old bumper had the brackets I needed for the new (to the truck) bumper, and just four bolts -- super easy, right? WRONG. They ran a weld bead on the bracket after attaching it to the frame and the bumper. It took a lot of grinding on those welds before it finally came loose. Wrangling the bumper on my own was no fun, but I got it back in place and bolted it back in -- was well worth the effort.

As I was looking around I realized that this truck has been worked hard in the past -- the (now cut-off) bolts for a fifth-wheel hitch mount are still in the frame, and the driver's side rear spring has broken leafs. Still, for the price I paid I'm not going to complain. This buys me time to make sure Project Calvin (1985 GMC) is exactly the way I want it before I put it back on the road. Then "Blackie" (named after Eric Clapton's favorite Stratocaster) will get to move on to someone else -- better than I found him.

Take Care,
KS

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:again...lol

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas!

You must be registered for see images attach

Remember, there is no cure for the Square Body Disease.:bleh:

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Thought I'd post the latest on this truck, then some on Project Calvin, then on the parts truck.

The driver's side rear spring has came apart where it was broken, so no driving until I get it replaced. I did get the fan motor to stop howling with some cleaning and re-application of lube, discovered that it has some sort of concocted block heater stuff that uses a small return line to a block drain on the passenger's side, one of my upcoming projects is to replace all the hoses and remove this junk -- it looks like a leak waiting to happen.

Because the valve cover gaskets are leaking I plan on replacing them and installing a vintage set of M/T aluminum valve covers from my 85 GMC parts truck. My race shop buddies just said to get better valve covers than the stock steel variety and this parts truck's engine is locked up, so the price is right.

The first formal trip to my friend's shop will have him replace the springs and shocks on the back, lube the chassis and align the front end, as well as service the transmission. After that I think I can trust it to run down the highway and pull trailers again (receiver hitch installation coming up).

So I have a way to move the frame around for the 85 I bought a ladder rack, rated at 800 pounds. From what I read on here it seems the bare frame is around 500, so this should work. I need to move it to the media blaster, then to the race shop for some repairs and modifications, then back to the house for painting and reassembly. After that, I'll keep the rack to use whenever I need to move my 24-foot extension ladder or buy really long lumber for my garage project.

The thing I've liked on this truck from the start is the power steering -- I had a system I installed on the 70 C-10 from a part truck but it never felt as good as this one does. My 85 GMC project will have to come up to this level of ease to be truly worthy. I'll keep making small improvements as long as I own it, then once the 85 is done I'll pass it along to someone else who can enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks for all the great tech tips - I know I'll be using a lot of them!

Take Care,
KS in KCK

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Welcome from Far West Pa.

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 31

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
The last two days have been pretty productive on the C20.

Yesterday I replaced the valve covers and repaired the wires to the alternator and temperature gauge, along with some adjustments to the carb. I also added a small tachometer just so I could see how many RPMs this 350 is turning when I eventually get it out on the road (still need to replace the rear springs). Today I installed the ladder rack, while there are some quality issues with how certain parts assemble together the attachment to the bed rails went quite well. Once I prepare this truck for sale (when Project Calvin is completed) I will probably keep the rack and upgrade the welding a little. However, for moving the frame around I think this will work fine, and for hauling 12-16 foot pieces of lumber this will make it really nice.

With the spring broken on the rear end I don't want to drive it around much, but I did take it for a long trip around the neighborhood to shake the cobwebs out. Even with that spring issue it drives well, the power steering is tight and the 350/TH-400 moves it quite well. I do need to get a whole new exhaust, that will be right after the spring issue gets resolved.

I'm hoping to get the truck into the shop for the springs late next week or early the week after -- I have everything but the springs themselves. Can't wait to have that fixed so I can really start putting this truck to work!

Take Care,
Ken Snyder in KCK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave