New 2 Forum on Long Island, NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berg

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Hey guys, new to the forum but have had Chevrolet and GM trucks in general since before I could drive. My great-grandfather used to own a GMC dealership back well before my time. I still got my first truck, although I have owned a bunch over the years. It is an 84 K5 Blazer with a 350 goodwrench crate engine with 4 bolt mains, early LT1 grind camshaft with Z28 valve springs, gasket matched factory cast iron intake manifold, stock exhaust manifolds with full 2.5" duals, no cats, 4 series flowmaster cans, exits out behind the rear wheels. Trans is an SM 465 4 speed with 32 spline output and tall adapter with an NP208 case. I swapped out the original 10 bolt front end for a D44 built up slightly with all new timken bearings and spicer U-joints and ball joints. It has had a few rears in it over the years but it is currently back to a 10 bolt with an Eaton limited-slip. Suspension is a 4" lift with 3/4 ton springs in the rear and 0 rate Add-a-leaves from Offroad Design. I also have ORD greasable poly bushings, sway bar kit (Currently disconnected) steering box brace kit, frame brace kit, and a bunch of other small stuff that isn't worth listing like the clear interior light lens and column mounted tach and silverstar lights. I also got a Meyer plow setup on it with E-60 pump and 7.5 and 8' blades
You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the site man! :handshake: Make sure and post often and don't be afraid to post up lots o' pics of your rig(s)!! :D I'm liking that black truck in your first post :drool: Looks pretty solid.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! Great lookin truck. I noticed your old school vintage slot mags, way cool!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
NIce truck hoss, welcome to the site. Good detailed new poster here guys. :High 5:

Berg

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm the second owner, had it since 1997. I got it with 139k on it, now it is up around 408k. I planned on restoring it when it rolled over 300k but it never happened. I replaced the tailpan about 4 years ago with a panel from LMC truck. Since then I sourced a 1 piece GM floor that has the tailpan already welded in. I gotta take some pics of it one of these days, I think they'd sell a bunch of them if they were reproduced. I got all new body mounts, new GM doors, new GM fenders, and the original stock hood with no rust along with the Harwood Cowl Induction hood I got on it now. It isn't as pretty as it seems, but it photographs well. It is mostly factory paint, Midnight black. I still got the original truck rally sport rims but I like the slots. I've had them on there since I was 16. They are 15x8.5's but I got a set of 15x10's that I used to mount up my 35x14.5 Baha Belted HP's and I used to have a set of Dick Depek Fun Country's. I got the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO's on it now and they are great all around. I'm back to using it as my daily driver since a bunch of illegals smashed into my 99 K2500 big block Burb and totalled it out. It is a fun truck and goes down the beach in 2wd for the most part. This thing has been through hell and back. If I ever get the time, I'll weld in my new GM rockers. (Yes I spent a lot of time sourcing factory parts for this thing.) It is a Silverado with AC and Cruise with delay wipers but not too many other options. It has a power tailgate window but it came without tint, crank windows and manual locks. I took out the automatic hubs and went with a nice set of Warn Superiors, but when i put the D44 in it I ended with a set of Superwinch 3/4 turn hubs. Never had a problem with either. The only real mechanical issues are the fact that the clutch linkage is worn out and it has exhaust leaks everywhere. Every once in a while it will toss out the rear driveshaft but I blame that on hard launches. I got more pics of it too.

The last photo is the morning after I rolled it in the woods, Almost no damage done, just a few scratches and dents and 2 quarts of oil MIA. I don't know why people complain about carburetors on extreme angles, mine was running upside down and I had to shut the truck off to keep the sump from running dry!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn, that's a stick too? Nice rig. How was that rear tail pan piece to put in, Mine is hurting but I haven't had the cash to pick one up yet. Is it a real bitch to do? I can;t belive the wheels were to the sky on that and that's all the damage ya got.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nice pics and good info :waytogo:

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Welcome, that's a good K5 you've got. I like it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I want one of those snow plows, I thought you could only run them on 3/4 ton and up trucks.

Berg

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Yeah the 4 speed is great. I rolled it back in the trails for the power lines by my moms house. It was a wild night. It took a GI 6x6, shovels, a F*RD pickup and a case of beer to get it back on its wheels. I had sand coming out of everywhere for weeks!
The tailpan was a real bitch to say the least. You gotta drill out all the spot welds to the floor, take off these little plates that go from the floor to the quarters, then take out enough body mounts to jack up the body enough to fit the tailpan under the quarter panel lips. Chances are you will need to redo the bottom of the tailgate posts too. The bolts probably won't line up on the inside bottom of the panel where it bolts to the tailgate posts. Mine didn't. I just welded it where I drilled out the spot welds, ground everything down, and coated with rustoleum. It was a temporary fix until I found the new floor. One time I was moving a 454 and the piston on the engine hoist blew out and dropped the engine in the back of the truck, bending the floor. If I wasn't so poor I'd buy a nice camera and get to work on this thing. Funny thing about the tailpan was the tailgate bolted up like factory and adjusted just fine. It cuts down on the road noise from the tailgate slapping the cap/tailgate posts too! Yeah, mine rotted out really bad in that one area for some reason.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I want one of those snow plows, I thought you could only run them on 3/4 ton and up trucks.
I have had those light duty myers plows on plenty of 1/2 ton trucks and burbans.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah the 4 speed is great. I rolled it back in the trails for the power lines by my moms house. It was a wild night. It took a GI 6x6, shovels, a F*RD pickup and a case of beer to get it back on its wheels. I had sand coming out of everywhere for weeks!
The tailpan was a real bitch to say the least. You gotta drill out all the spot welds to the floor, take off these little plates that go from the floor to the quarters, then take out enough body mounts to jack up the body enough to fit the tailpan under the quarter panel lips. Chances are you will need to redo the bottom of the tailgate posts too. The bolts probably won't line up on the inside bottom of the panel where it bolts to the tailgate posts. Mine didn't. I just welded it where I drilled out the spot welds, ground everything down, and coated with rustoleum. It was a temporary fix until I found the new floor. One time I was moving a 454 and the piston on the engine hoist blew out and dropped the engine in the back of the truck, bending the floor. If I wasn't so poor I'd buy a nice camera and get to work on this thing. Funny thing about the tailpan was the tailgate bolted up like factory and adjusted just fine. It cuts down on the road noise from the tailgate slapping the cap/tailgate posts too! Yeah, mine rotted out really bad in that one area for some reason.
They seem to be a common rusted out part on SB k5's, Blazers, Burbans in the rust belt. If I keep the truck long enought I iwll have to eventually do it. I am not looking forward to it. And I have barn doors on mine, not the tailgate, so it might be a little different setup.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size