Need to buy a motor: HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87V10CA

Reaction score
First Name
NP
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Just bought an '87 350 TBI Silverado. I know this questions has been asked many times, in different ways, but I want to get some new opinions.

I need a new motor. It has a stock LO5, and is tired. Looking for a power upgrade, and willing to spend some money to get more power. But I must pass CA smog. The E-Rod motors are too expensive, and too much work. HT383E isn't smog legal (No EGR, just to start).

I don't want to experiment and buy something, and it not pass. But the LO5 is a joke. I got passed on a grade by a Saturn!

I thought about buying a HT383 short block, and using Edel performer heads, and mild roller. Is the $5K that will cost me, worth it? Or is there a better route. I will keep the TBI set up and all the smog equipment.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
there are a million different directions you can go with this.. Im in to diesels so I would say put a cummins in it that would be badass, if your a gas guy put a 6.0 out of a newer truck that would be badass also

but if you want a realistic answer summits makes a crate motor for like 1500bucks, add in the price of alum heads intake blah blah and you have a nice SBC

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
He lives in Cali, so I don't think he can just throw a diesel in it. If I was going to spend $5k on a motor and could put a diesel in it, I would just pay $10k and have somebody do the conversion for me. Others will chime in but I've looked at the engines from Jegs/Summit. They have a 350 for TBI motors for around $2k if memory serves me right. You could have the PCM flashed and it would be your most cost effective solution. Especially if you are installing yourself.

Side note, mine is an 87 but was converted to carb before I got it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
In Ca you must use an ENGINE certified for a 1/2 or lighter vehicle. A Diesel can be used, if you have documentation that the donor engine was from a vehicle 1/2 or lower, like a 6.2 or 6.5, or, when people start wrecking them, the new 3.0 from a RAM, but they just hit dealerships.
I suggest getting a replacement 350 2 bolt from GMperformance. you will need the larger 350 injectors, knock sensor, and prom chip for a 350 as well, but all those are a dime a dozen, compaired to the work involved in a complete swap....That being said, if you dont mind the added cost, which IMO is worth it, a 5.3 drivetrain swap is awesome, and there are a few people here that can walk you through it.
the 350 replacement will most likely get you passed the smog guy with no issues, since the 5.0 and 5.7 were identical, and used the same emissions equipment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes