Need opinions on part selection for static drop C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, I did a search and read through some threads and no I don't have any pictures yet. This is my 1st post.

I bought a '77 C10 LWB for my 15YO son to build for his 1st truck. I will start a build thread soon.
The plan is to rebuild the entire truck this year making sensible upgrades, lowering, and converting to a shortbed. I need to contain some costs as it will be his first vehicle. Stock motor, static drop, etc.

I need some opinions on part selection for lowering. Looking to do a 4/6 or 5/7 drop. All the suspension will be rebuilt along with brake upgrades, swaybar(s), steering upgrades, etc.

Here is what I am thinking:

Front Suspension: CPP Modular spindles 2.5 Drop
2-3" coil. Whose coil rides/ handles well??? Considering Ridetech.
Rebuild stock arms with poly bushings vs. upgrading to CPP tubular???
Bilstein shocks?

The aftermarket arms are supposed to have some caster correction built in but not sure its worth the extra money. I like the Porterbilt arms that allow you to narrow the track width but need to stay on budget otherwise I'd coilover the truck.

Rear Suspension: 3" Western Chassis Leaf spring, any others out there besides Ridetech mono?
2" Spring Hanger. Who makes the strongest? They all look the same
1-2" Shackle if needed. Again, who makes the strongest?

Other suspension upgrades will be swaybar(s), Ridetech front frame braces, and I'm not opposed to spending the money on the GSI or Porterbilt frame braces for the center section if anyone feels like they are necessary.

Thanks!!!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On front stock a arms would do fine with new bushings. On the rear can move the axle above the spring. For front coil springs, always found easier to get springs from circle track store. Just have to calculate the rate needed and the spring height.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
...sensible upgrades...converting to a shortbed... 5/7 drop. ...

You and I have different meanings for that word hahaha. Welcome to board, nice plans for the ride. I'm sure you and your son will love getting your hands dirty with this one.

I dont have much to contribute in regards to lowering a truck though, sorry.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. I've always liked the 4-6 drop look.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Cutting a long bed to be a short bed makes me sad...carry on

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On front stock a arms would do fine with new bushings. On the rear can move the axle above the spring. For front coil springs, always found easier to get springs from circle track store. Just have to calculate the rate needed and the spring height.

Thank you, I'll look into the circle track springs. I'm not going to do a flip kit as I have to purchase new leafs regardless as I have 56" and need the 52" so it make sense to purchase lowering leafs at the same time.

Cutting a long bed to be a short bed makes me sad...carry on

You should be thanking me for taking a long bed off the road thereby making your truck more rare and thus far more valuable...

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here is what I am thinking:

Front Suspension: CPP Modular spindles 2.5 Drop
2-3" coil. Whose coil rides/ handles well??? Considering Ridetech.
Rebuild stock arms with poly bushings vs. upgrading to CPP tubular???
Bilstein shocks?

The aftermarket arms are supposed to have some caster correction built in but not sure its worth the extra money. I like the Porterbilt arms that allow you to narrow the track width but need to stay on budget otherwise I'd coilover the truck.

Rear Suspension: 3" Western Chassis Leaf spring, any others out there besides Ridetech mono?
2" Spring Hanger. Who makes the strongest? They all look the same
1-2" Shackle if needed. Again, who makes the strongest?

Other suspension upgrades will be swaybar(s), Ridetech front frame braces, and I'm not opposed to spending the money on the GSI or Porterbilt frame braces for the center section if anyone feels like they are necessary.

Thanks!!!

I am in the process of doing something similar. I ordered a complete kit from CPP though. I just unboxed the parts today. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/my-78-silverado.20762/page-3#post-488340

Take a look at what I got there. It was $555 to my door. I know you mentioned getting rear springs so this wouldn't be perfectly what you want. I am also re-using my stock arms because I had ordered a complete bushing kit from energy suspension with poly bushings. My truck came with a sway bar on the front so it's getting the new poly bushings and re-used. I am not going to bother with any frame bracing since it's just going to be a driver and not an off roader, racer, or tow truck.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am in the process of doing something similar. I ordered a complete kit from CPP though. I just unboxed the parts today. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/my-78-silverado.20762/page-3#post-488340

Take a look at what I got there. It was $555 to my door. I know you mentioned getting rear springs so this wouldn't be perfectly what you want. I am also re-using my stock arms because I had ordered a complete bushing kit from energy suspension with poly bushings. My truck came with a sway bar on the front so it's getting the new poly bushings and re-used. I am not going to bother with any frame bracing since it's just going to be a driver and not an off roader, racer, or tow truck.

Thanks Travis. I read through your thread. Looks like you are going to have a nice truck when done! We are tearing down to the frame as well. Did your kit come with the newer style modular spindles? Even though you aren't racing, etc; I would look into Ridetech's front frame braces at $250. The front of these trucks move around a bit at the very front crossmember and I have pulled apart a few that the rivet holes are rounded out. And now that you have poly bushings, there will be additional force there.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks Travis. I read through your thread. Looks like you are going to have a nice truck when done! We are tearing down to the frame as well. Did your kit come with the newer style modular spindles? Even though you aren't racing, etc; I would look into Ridetech's front frame braces at $250. The front of these trucks move around a bit at the very front crossmember and I have pulled apart a few that the rivet holes are rounded out. And now that you have poly bushings, there will be additional force there.
I believe I've just got the stock style spindles. I didn't dig too much into what the differences were but my spindles should use the stock brake rotors and calipers. I'll look into the brace though.

87C10LS

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
5.7ls1
I went with the full Ridetech kit. It was worth the money spent. 5-7 drop. New Delrin Bushings come with the kit for the front. It has the huge muscle sway bar that keeps the truck planted in the corners. The ride quality is excellent. Does not jar you around. The rear has the composite leaf springs with 175lb rate. Uses the front stock hanger and comes with new rear shackle that is flipped upside down. Could def use C-notched but I'm not hauling anything. It's probably the best riding lowering kit I've used hands down. I've lowered trucks with Beltech, DJM and Ridetech is worth the extra dollars spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke