Need advice on steering components 86 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, crossover steering is mandatory for the setup you have. If you spend some time reading/searching on pirate4x4.com, you'll find that there are budget-oriented ways to get crossover steering done.

You'll also need to get the ORD steering box brace or fab up your own, because crossover will make the cracks in your frame worse(assuming it hasn't already been repaired with plates).

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Here are some photos of the knuckle you need.
You must be registered for see images attach

Off Road Unlimited sells everything you need, the entire kit. Their number is (1-888-365-0244). You could go though 4 Wheel Parts and get the same kit from them. It's around $600.00, comes with the steering knuckle, drag link, left drag link end, and right drag link end. You may have to buy the Pitman arm separate but they have it too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sean is that a Dana 44 knuckle? I looked in his album and it looks like he has a 10-bolt front, might wanna look and see what you think it is just to make sure I'm right. He told me ORD quoted $75 to machine and drill/tap his 10-bolt knuckle for flattop so he can run the steering arm on it, which sounds like a killer deal except the hassle and expense of shipping.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
I can't tell in his photos if it's a Dana 44 or a ten bolt but the knuckles are the same. The ten bolts used in these trucks are nothing but Dana 44 clones. GM used them because they were cheaper. The knuckles, spindles, axles and maybe even more parts are interchangeable. Thats a good price he was quoted. Then all he has to get the the steering arm, draglink, drop pitman arm.

The axle in my photos of the knuckle is a Dana 44.

Last edited:

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
...That too...

Latest posts