Need Advice on Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
So back in September I bought my 1985 Chevy K10.
It was listed as having a "new engine," I could tell it
wasn't new but likely "rebuilt."

Now after finding oil leaks, it running underpowered,
and a few other things I decided to take it to a mechanic
to get it checked out.

Mechanic comes back with "This thing runs like ****."
I have 4 dead cylinders. F O U R. Great. They say
to fix it it will cost $6K. Or they can install a new
engine for around $2K.

Now what?! I just payed the truck off and now I
find it's a pile of ****. Anyone have a good resource
on Crate engines? Anyone know a place in MN that
can install an engine cheaper than these guys?

I'd like to canibalize anything I can from my truck
to make an engine swap more affordable.

Thanks for any advice.

-Steve
(Noob)

Attachments

• Chevy_K10.jpg
    Chevy_K10.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 129

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OK first thing don't ever go back to that mechanic! He is trying to steal your money!

4 dead cylinders could be as simple as changing 4 spark plugs or 4 spark plug wires. 4 dead cylinders does not mean that there is any thing wrong with your engine other then perifferal stuff like ignition.

Did he at least do a compression test ?

I cant freakin stand these dead beat stupid ass theivin mechanics! In my 30 years as an adult I have only ever found 1 only 1 honest mechanic. I have friends that are auto mechanics and I will never let them touch my vehicle because they are stupid!

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have access to some tools?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I had a friend once with a Toyota supra and he was having the same kinda problem. Turns out his valve cover was leaking oil and messing up the injector wiring.

So ******* mechanics that want to do nothing and make lots of money charged him $1600 to blow all the oil out of his wiring harness. Then they put a lean on his car and threatened to confiscate if he didn't pay up!

What makes it worse is that they never even fixed the problem. They did not change the valve cover gasket to stop the oil from leaking! LOL so I guess they figured he would just come back every 3 months and pay $1600 to get the oil blown out of his harness. WTF freakin con artists!

Don't worry unless the compression is gone in those cylinders your engine is very much fixable for not very much either!

I freakin hate automotive mechanics!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could put a LS1 in there for $2K

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
With the help of us here on the board you very well could find the problem and a solution. Do you want to give that a shot? If you want to fix it ask many questions. Details are needed about this engine. Like does it smoke while driving? Does it run really ruff when you try to accelerate?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
I do know he did a compression test. and the reading was
Cylinder 1 150 PSI
Cylinder 2 150 PSI
Cylinder 3 75 PSI
Cylinder 4 0 PSI
Cylinder 5 150 PSI
Cylinder 6 0 PSI
Cylinder 7 150 PSI
Cylinder 8 25 PSI

I've been looking at http://paceperformance.com/ for a new engine.

I'm going to pick the truck up from the shop tonight, I'll bring it home while I figure out what to do.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
I am mechanically inclined, I've changed brake pads, starters, alternators and that kind of thing. I want to fix it. I hope I don't need a new engine. Part of me wants a new engine so I have a fresh start. This rebuilt engine could have all kinds of ******** with it. This just seems like a HUGE undertaking, I'm a bit intimidated. But I want it fixed! I want the truck I thought I bought, I want it to run well, I want it to be my daily driver.

I ALWAYS have to feather the gas to get it to turn over. it accelerates really slow. It doesn't smoke when it drives. It did before, but it didn't have a cap on the driver side valve cover, it does now.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
I also changed out ALL the spark plug wires about a month ago. FYI.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok 0 compression can simply very well be open valves. Even if the piston rings were bad you would have higher of a reading than that. Start by pooping off the valve covers and checking the rocker movement of the "dead cylinders. I bet the P.O. tightened the valves too tight. Are you up for a valve adjustment?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Actually the base Chevy 350/260 hp crate engine is a good engine for these trucks. Nice torque, good power, run on anything, direct replacement. $1500 delivered, from JEGS, Summit, Amazon.

You can get fancier, and swap in a 12-235-2 Comp cam, a dual-plan manifold, and headers, and get quite a bit more torque and power. Figure $600 more. Same sources.

That's for a new engine, on the cheap. You can also get all kinds of bigger, more modern, higher-technology engines new as crate engines. The more radically different, the more changes required to get it in there, and the more putzing around to get it tweaked in.

You can also buy a lot of these engines used salvage, if you know what you are doing. Same comments about changes and tweaking.

Note that there are also some gaskets you need, new torque converter (why wouldn't you replace that while you are in there?), flexplate bolts -- stuff like that. Couple hundred bucks in miscellaneous.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Ok I understood half of that. lol. Can you explain the "rocker movement"? I'm sure I'd know more if i was sitting in my engine bay right now.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Out of curiosity, anyone know what a new engine install should cost on average?
Or is that an impossible question?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Idk about where you are but around here engine installs start at $500 Valve Lash Adjustment Video - Engine Building Car…: http://youtu.be/89o5rLpbCgI

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Like rich just said. Anywhere from $1500 to tens of thousands. Just depends on what your looking for. The 260 hp crate is a common replacement. You can buy a 420hp 383 for around $3500. For a couple thousand more you could big block it. Just depends on your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ahh didn't see that you said cost of install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising