Need advice for doing Kilmat/Boomat/Dynomat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
@CalSgt @Grit dog (and anyone else) - I am planning to put some 100mil Kilmat down in select areas, then putting Siless 2 in 1 closed cell foam (200mil, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LQQ4KSW/) over the entire floor pan and firewall. I am limiting Kilmat to select areas because I don't want to have a double layer (.3" thickness) over the entire floor and firewall. Siless has 50mil of sound deadener beneath 150mil closed cell foam, which I hope will reduce noise and heat.

So where would you recommend laying down the Kilmat for a double layer in that area? From this thread, I am gathering: foot wells, trans tunnel and up the firewall? Does that sound about right?

ETA: I do have an aftermarket carpet that has some insulation that will be going on top of the Siless.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I know this is a old thread, I have worked with this stuff for YEARS!! I used to be a DYNAMAT tree hugger
and would never give any other brands a chance. As I got older and wiser I put my experience in this video.
NOICO is one of the best sound deadening kits out right now and cheap. I did this video to show the difference
in the products. If you dont watch the video my advice is to: NEVER buy 100% asphalt base material. Thats where the long time stink comes from.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I know this is a old thread, I have worked with this stuff for YEARS!! I used to be a DYNAMAT tree hugger
and would never give any other brands a chance. As I got older and wiser I put my experience in this video.
NOICO is one of the best sound deadening kits out right now and cheap. I did this video to show the difference
in the products. If you dont watch the video my advice is to: NEVER buy 100% asphalt base material. Thats where the long time stink comes from.

Nasty...don't bury my question...haha!

Whichever brand, where would you recommend laying down a double layer?

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Nasty...don't bury my question...haha!

Whichever brand, where would you recommend laying down a double layer?
Ok, you want my opinion, Ill tell you. People dont believe me till they actually feel and hear it.

First off, you are doing it the right way by using the deadener then the cell foam.
I just did a 86 C10 a few weeks ago for a customer with a mild 350 with headers.
All I did was a single layer of NOICO and this just on the floor boards.

(Double Sided Aluminized Heat and Sound Insulation Shield)​

You must be registered for see images attach

The truck was way more quiet and almost no heat. This was done by customer request (parts used)

The Way I like it to control heat and noise is Noico and cell foam. You only need one layer of NOICO or whatever and one layer of cell foam GLUED to the deadener ON THE FLOOR ONLY. Thats it. No need for over kill and spending more money. This is a tried and true method!!!!

Now if you have 450 Hp engine pulling some heat and noise THEN USE 2 LAYERS Of deadener on the floor boards, kick boards and firewall. with one layer cell foam. Thats the only time you need to double up!!!

So to answer your question, If you really think double layer is needed, (Floor and tunnel area.) BUT!!!!!
With what you have, 1 layer of each will be enough for noise and heat. Most people think double layers
is the way to go. Its not.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Forgot the most important part. The foam NEEDS to be GLUED down completely. Spray foam and deadener wait 5/10 min and lay your foam down with a roller you use for the deadener. other wise noise can travel between the deadener and foam.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Ok, you want my opinion, Ill tell you. People dont believe me till they actually feel and hear it.

First off, you are doing it the right way by using the deadener then the cell foam.
I just did a 86 C10 a few weeks ago for a customer with a mild 350 with headers.
All I did was a single layer of NOICO and this just on the floor boards.

(Double Sided Aluminized Heat and Sound Insulation Shield)​

The truck was way more quiet and almost no heat. This was done by customer request (parts used)

The Way I like it to control heat and noise is Noico and cell foam. You only need one layer of NOICO or whatever and one layer of cell foam GLUED to the deadener ON THE FLOOR ONLY. Thats it. No need for over kill and spending more money. This is a tried and true method!!!!

Now if you have 450 Hp engine pulling some heat and noise THEN USE 2 LAYERS Of deadener on the floor boards, kick boards and firewall. with one layer cell foam. Thats the only time you need to double up!!!

So to answer your question, If you really think double layer is needed, (Floor and tunnel area.) BUT!!!!!
With what you have, 1 layer of each will be enough for noise and heat. Most people think double layers
is the way to go. Its not.
Much appreciated sir!

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
If you have enough cell foam you can use it everywhere you lay down deadener!! Thats how I do it.
Best of luck!!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Agree, I wouldn’t double layer the Kilmat stuff. Although I never tested how much it attenuates noise.
I can tell it helped. As did new smoker window seals and window seals.
Even with a big block and Flowmaster 40s, most of the cab noise is all the “other” noises. Loose rear window slider seals, small air gap in a wing window, couple random squeaks, etc.
Road noise and heat are not present best I can tell.
That said, you may want to test fit your carpet and see where to add extra foam.
I did one layer of Kilmat (80mil iirc) and then carpet with the attached jute? padding. And left the OE stuff under the seat and down the sides next to the seat. IMO there need to be more padding built up on the sides and on the trans hump to get the carpet to fit tighter.
My carpet looks ok but I didn’t finish fitting it real well as I have to remove the seat again to finish the stereo and thinkin I might pull the carpet up and add some padding mentioned above to make it fit better/tighter.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
@CalSgt @Grit dog (and anyone else) - I am planning to put some 100mil Kilmat down in select areas, then putting Siless 2 in 1 closed cell foam (200mil, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LQQ4KSW/) over the entire floor pan and firewall. I am limiting Kilmat to select areas because I don't want to have a double layer (.3" thickness) over the entire floor and firewall. Siless has 50mil of sound deadener beneath 150mil closed cell foam, which I hope will reduce noise and heat.

So where would you recommend laying down the Kilmat for a double layer in that area? From this thread, I am gathering: foot wells, trans tunnel and up the firewall? Does that sound about right?

ETA: I do have an aftermarket carpet that has some insulation that will be going on top of the Siless.

Looks like you got some good info already, but I'll add

I don't see too much benefit in layering the "2 in 1" stuff over the top of the kilmat other than adding a bunch of weight.

Either:

Do Kilmat and a layer of plain closed cell foam (or Jut pad like @Nasty-LSX recommends)
-----OR-----
Do a 2-in-1 product like the Siless.

If you have enough a single sheet (or even half sheet) of kilmat in the center of the door skin will dampen a lot of noise too.

NEVER buy 100% asphalt base material. Thats where the long time stink comes from.

@LocoLocal, Mr. Nasty is right on this for sure, the product you linked to describes the sound deadening part of the product as "Mastic." I'm not sure if siless has an odor or not but "Butyl" is typically the preferred sound deadening material because it has no odor.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Forgot the most important part. The foam NEEDS to be GLUED down completely. Spray foam and deadener wait 5/10 min and lay your foam down with a roller you use for the deadener. other wise noise can travel between the deadener and foam.

What spray glue did you use? 3M Super 77 or 90?

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
What spray glue did you use? 3M Super 77 or 90?
if you dont have a compressor and cheap gun, super 77 is totally fine. no need for high $$$$$$ spray. Super 77 is really good. if you have a compressor and super cheap gun this is 1000% best and what i use for years of never coming apart or customer comebacks. But its EXPENSIVE now.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. I did the kilmat over the tunnel and floor, then the 2 in 1 over the entire cab floor .

Probably overkill, but man, what a difference it made. I can’t say the double layering did more than a single layer, but I had the material and couldn’t return it, so I let ‘er rip.

My carpet fits fine, but it doesn’t go all the way back to the rear wall. The (or a) previous owner hacked it up. Guess that’s my next purchase.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Probably overkill, but man, what a difference it made. I can’t say the double layering did more than a single layer, but I had the material and couldn’t return it, so I let ‘er rip.
Nothing wrong with that. Post some pic's!!! Did you do behind the seats like this. It make a big difference also. Used the foam cell also in the back

Last edited:

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Nothing wrong with that. Post some pic's!!! Did you do behind the seats like this. It make a big difference also. Used the foam cell also in the back

Well I've been working to get ol' Waylon back on the road for about 9 months now, so I was eager to get it all back together and go for a cruise to test it out last night. I didn't get any pictures, but I do have new carpet coming, so I will get some when I tear it back out.

I didn't do the back wall. I am out of kilmat but do have a good bit of the closed cell foam left. I am not keen to leaving that foam exposed, but I suppose I could get a carpet to go over it.

Thanks for all of the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia