My deal fell through on my gears/diff..looks like ill be doing it myself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you use all New bearings and pinion shim than, no you won't have to pull any bearings. Going back on freeze the diff and pinion in the freezer heat the bearings in the oven and they will fall right on or take a few light taps with a hammer and a punch or a piece of pipe.But you could use the bearing press jack allthread set up to push it together too.Id still heat and cool, for less interference.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
When I had the rearend rebuilt in my Suburban it was $1550 for the full boogie stuff.
He used Richmond gears in it I believe as he would only use them because they lasted.

He is close to retirement now, so for the next one I may just have to do as you are and do it myself.
Thankfully we now have YouTube University for tutorial help.

J-Bob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
My ring gear bolts were left hand thread. (Yukon) Needed a torque wrench that worked in both directions.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My ring gear bolts were left hand thread. (Yukon) Needed a torque wrench that worked in both directions.

I believe all 8.5s are left hand thread, don't forget to loctite them and I've started using new bolts as a precaution. Once bitten twice shy.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Im not sure what you're asking ?

Im saying I dont think ill need to pull the bearings off the pinion and diff since im going back with all new parts. Only reason to do so would be to use the bearing as a install bearing and I can just buy a duplicate for that.
Is that correct?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Im saying I dont think ill need to pull the bearings off the pinion and diff since im going back with all new parts. Only reason to do so would be to use the bearing as a install bearing and I can just buy a duplicate for that.
Is that correct?

Yes, sorry

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Is that correct?
Already answered at 1:17 I see the problem I should have quoted you so you knew.

And I have a press but that little contraption is just too handy.Usually it's a friend's rearend done at their house because they are chickens.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hey Catbox. I originally made that puller for VW crank gears. I put them back on with the propane torch. In case you don't have a puller already. I've found all kinds of crap I can do with it since then.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
If you use all New bearings and pinion shim than, no you won't have to pull any bearings. Going back on freeze the diff and pinion in the freezer heat the bearings in the oven and they will fall right on or take a few light taps with a hammer and a punch or a piece of pipe.But you could use the bearing press jack allthread set up to push it together too.Id still heat and cool, for less interference.

Awesome. I have a little toaster oven I use for bearings and pulleys. actually gets hotter than my range. Hopefully I can get them on without needing a press. If not Ill just buy a 20ton at HF or make something...whatever suites me at that time.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ok great! I can TRY the heat/cold method without buying a press first and then go from there.
You can use the bearing separator as a press also just close the jaws up.Did you read where I told you how to use the old crush sleeve for set up?

Okay, now grab your tools in one hand and your balls with the other and get to work.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
You can use the bearing separator as a press also just close the jaws up.Did you read where I told you how to use the old crush sleeve for set up?

Okay, now grab your tools in one hand and your balls with the other and get to work.

Yeah I read that. Im sure it will all make more sense when im looking at everything and by the time its all disassembled. I can just use the sleeve eliminator i suppose.

And I only have two hands so choose one...balls or tools. :manos:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah I read that. Im sure it will all make more sense when im looking at everything and by the time its all disassembled. I can just use the sleeve eliminator i suppose.

And I only have two hands so choose one...balls or tools. :manos:

Are you trying to tell us you have really tiny hands?