My deal fell through on my gears/diff..looks like ill be doing it myself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I should have just planned to do it myself anyway with the luck ive had outta "professionals" recently.
Was gonna let a local offroad shop do a 4.11/trutrac but the deal we had fell through. No fault or blame to be had, just a deal that went another way.
So....I know ALL of you are gonna say " just get a 12 bolt and be done with it"... And every damn one of you are right...BUT:banghead: Im gonna build the 10 bolt anyway:flipthebird:

So... When buying parts Ive seen the "kits" fro around $6-700 that have all the bearings and shims,comes with the diff nad ring/pinion.

So any reason I wouldn't go with this kit from Quick Performance..

https://www.quickperformance.com/GM...c-Posi-Gears-Bearing-Kit-Package_p_21559.html

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Get it. Honestly seems a little expensive IMO, but not ridiculous or anything, especially if it's good quality.

Just so you know, though- gears are a pain in the ******* ass. That's probably why the deal fell through, they probably didn't want to deal with it. Around me all the shops that will even do it (most will say get lost, even 4x4 shops) want to charge >$1200 just for labor if you supply your own parts. When you mention you remember it being MUCH cheaper a few years ago and ask why so much, they'll literally say "dude, that job is a pain in the ass, we don't want to deal with it unless you make it worth our time". Most places will even say "we used to have a guy who did that, but nobody here is comfortable enough to do that for a paying customer". You will save a TON of money doing it yourself, but it's no walk in the park.

I'll rebuild/swap my own engines, I'll do all the body work, I'll weld the frame if I have to. I'm not touching gears, that's literally the one and only thing I'm willing to pay out the ass for someone else to do for me (besides rebuilding an automatic transmission, but at that point honestly I usually just swap in a manual). I'm not willing to go through a stupid amount of hours of work just to find out that I just burned up a few hundred bucks and ruined a brand new gear set, I know I'll never get it right on my own.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I wouldnt run a 12 bolt in my truck.

Obviously just did 4.10's in my truck. Took me probably 6-8 hours. And thats because i ran into numerous speed bumps.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Take your time get the gear mesh correct, then dial your back lash in. Not a hard thing at all, just takes time, like an automatic transmission rebuild.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Useful tips on a 10 bolt
Get the gear mesh correct BEFORE torquing the crush sleeve down
Gear Backlash needs to be .006-.01
You want 14-19 in/lbs of preload on the NEW pinion bearings, and i suggest carefully removing the old pinion bearing and taking a dremmel to the ID and using it as a setup bearing, so you spare yourself pressing it on and off 100 times getting pinion depth correct.

On backlash, .010" worth of shims equals .007" runout.
So if runout is .014, add .010 to drivers side, take .010 from passengers side, your new backlash will be close to .007, and vise versa.

KEEP TRACK of which original carrier shim goes where, use those for initial numbers, go from there.

Same thing for pinion shims.

Its VERY important to get that bearing preload correct.

On final assembly of the pinion WITH crush sleeve,
I used the impact and gave the pinion nut slight ugga duggas, then checked preload, if it wasnt in spec, go back and give it a couple light ugga duggas again, then check again, i slowly crept up on that 14-19 in/lbs of preload.
When you hit the crush sleeve, you will feel it. The torque suddenly DRASTICALLY increases.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Get it. Honestly seems a little expensive IMO, but not ridiculous or anything, especially if it's good quality.

Just so you know, though- gears are a pain in the ******* ass. That's probably why the deal fell through, they probably didn't want to deal with it. Around me all the shops that will even do it (most will say get lost, even 4x4 shops) want to charge >$1200 just for labor if you supply your own parts. When you mention you remember it being MUCH cheaper a few years ago and ask why so much, they'll literally say "dude, that job is a pain in the ass, we don't want to deal with it unless you make it worth our time". Most places will even say "we used to have a guy who did that, but nobody here is comfortable enough to do that for a paying customer". You will save a TON of money doing it yourself, but it's no walk in the park.

I'll rebuild/swap my own engines, I'll do all the body work, I'll weld the frame if I have to. I'm not touching gears, that's literally the one and only thing I'm willing to pay out the ass for someone else to do for me (besides rebuilding an automatic transmission, but at that point honestly I usually just swap in a manual). I'm not willing to go through a stupid amount of hours of work just to find out that I just burned up a few hundred bucks and ruined a brand new gear set, I know I'll never get it right on my own.

We are 110% on the same page there. Ill do anything and have never paid another person to do ****...but gears do seem a little involved. Ill definitely be waiting til spring now ...damnit...
You are also most likely right about them just not wanting to do it. They made a $2000 quote sheet off alldata to try and convince me to throw another 1000 in the deal. I laughed and hung up. went from a $300 add on to a sxs deal, to them wanting another 1300..Kiss my fkin ASS

Sorry didnt mean to upload the pdf file. was hoping it would just show up in the browser.

Attachments

• Quote_Q004792 (1).PDF
    101.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Useful tips on a 10 bolt
Get the gear mesh correct BEFORE torquing the crush sleeve down
Gear Backlash needs to be .006-.01
You want 14-19 in/lbs of preload on the NEW pinion bearings, and i suggest carefully removing the old pinion bearing and taking a dremmel to the ID and using it as a setup bearing, so you spare yourself pressing it on and off 100 times getting pinion depth correct.

On backlash, .010" worth of shims equals .007" runout.
So if runout is .014, add .010 to drivers side, take .010 from passengers side, your new backlash will be close to .007, and vise versa.

KEEP TRACK of which original carrier shim goes where, use those for initial numbers, go from there.

Same thing for pinion shims.

I knew about the dremel/bearing trick. I wonder though if the new pinion will have the same bearing...if not Id already planned to ask QP for a second bearing to dremel out and use as an install bearing.
Will I need to purchase a dial indicator for the install? Ive seen them used on videos but haven't paid that much attention yet since I was gonna have it done.

Its sad. I did this on an 82 power ram dana 44 when i was 17 with my uncle. Dont remember a damn thing.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I knew about the dremel/bearing trick. I wonder though if the new pinion will have the same bearing...if not Id already planned to ask QP for a second bearing to dremel out and use as an install bearing.
Will I need to purchase a dial indicator for the install? Ive seen them used on videos but haven't paid that much attention yet since I was gonna have it done.

Its sad. I did this on an 82 power ram dana 44 when i was 17 with my uncle. Dont remember a damn thing.

Plunger indicator for thr backlash, yes.
And a little in/lbs gauge for preload, and torque wrench for ring gear bolts, and carrier bearing caps.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
We are 110% on the same page there. Ill do anything and have never paid another person to do ****...but gears do seem a little involved. Ill definitely be waiting til spring now ...damnit...
You are also most likely right about them just not wanting to do it. They made a $2000 quote sheet off alldata to try and convince me to throw another 1000 in the deal. I laughed and hung up. went from a $300 add on to a sxs deal, to them wanting another 1300..Kiss my fkin ASS

Sorry didnt mean to upload the pdf file. was hoping it would just show up in the browser.

Hah, service tech's last name: Keith Lovelady. That's why you gotta pay so much extra, this tough guy KNOWS he's straight! Lol

Yeah seriously though, these guys are even trying to charge an extra 13 bucks just for like a quarter tube of RTV to reseal the rear cover, you know if they're seriously trying to nickel and dime you that much they probably don't really want the job. For a $2k job and they're gonna try to squeeze you a few bucks for some gasketmaker? Yeah okay. That really sucks, nbiut unfortunately that's how it goes most of the time. Good luck man

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
By inch po
Plunger indicator for thr backlash, yes.
And a little in/lbs gauge for preload, and torque wrench for ring gear bolts, and carrier bearing caps.

You mean just an inch pound torque wrench right.
I discovered my regular torque wrench is a POS when installing my heads. Kept breaking bolts @ 20ftlbs...that aint right.

Ill get a nice set for this job. Ive always wanted a nice digital set anyway.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not a hard thing at all, like an automatic transmission rebuild.
Hah, is this supposed to be a joke?

I opened one automatic transmission once, springs shot past my face. I threw the wrench down, said **** that, and swapped in a standard.

That doesn't make me feel any better at all LMAO

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
By inch po

You mean just an inch pound torque wrench right.
I discovered my regular torque wrench is a POS when installing my heads. Kept breaking bolts @ 20ftlbs...that aint right.

Ill get a nice set for this job. Ive always wanted a nice digital set anyway.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Hah, is this supposed to be a joke?

I opened one automatic transmission once, springs shot past my face. I threw the wrench down, said **** that, and swapped in a standard.

That doesn't make me feel any better at all LMAO

No sir

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Hah, service tech's last name: Keith Lovelady. That's why you gotta pay so much extra, this tough guy KNOWS he's straight! Lol

Yeah seriously though, these guys are even trying to charge an extra 13 bucks just for like a quarter tube of RTV to reseal the rear cover, you know if they're seriously trying to nickel and dime you that much they probably don't really want the job. For a $2k job and they're gonna try to squeeze you a few bucks for some gasketmaker? Yeah okay. That really sucks, nbiut unfortunately that's how it goes most of the time. Good luck man

Yeah ole Keith is actually the owner. Also ownes the Used car lot next door...Go figure,LOL. But hey its common practice in all fields to charge exorbitant amounts for jobs you really don't want. I dont blame them for that.
But hey...an excuse to buy new tools. I can spin that,LOL

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I am gonna call and find out what gear set, and bearings are used in the kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997