My 93 E-350 Box Van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
nice!!! Progress is progress :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, bought myself another month. Best part is, I didn't have to give up the K1500 or scrap the Burb. Hopefully I've made a decision that will stretch these funds into a 2nd month too. You know the, "Takes money to make money" adage. Hopefully by then that other towing company will have either cut loose of the guy they don't think is going to make it, or the guy who is burned out on towing and working 24/7 will go ahead and make his move and quit. If not, at least it's getting closer to spring, weather is warming up and it's certainly easier to find something to do to scrounge up a few bucks or at least be able to work on the house and get prepped for sale. I had to sell the truck cheap which I hated to do, but I'd rather have sold that cheap than give up the K1500 with a new crate motor and rebuilt trans for $1500, or scrap the Burb for $600.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Great news! :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's the other decision I made that I hope to pay off. I did some calling around for NEW, and found $1389 to $1599 + tx for another $118-$130. So I had pretty much blew it off since even used was going for $1000 for a basic 16ft, no brakes, no ramps, and was only 77in wide which means no square is going to drive up on it.

Then I found this one for $800. The guy finally called me back, which I figured it has sold already. I got out there asked about brakes, NOPE, ramps, NOPE but hey, I measure it and it's 81in wide. Square will fit. The guy said, buy it tonight, $750 and I'll weld on ramp ledges since you have ramps already. Cool, let's do it. So he welded those on real quick, $750 cash and carry.

Now, I can get out to my dads, consolidate and scrap those 2 C20 trucks and haul all the left overs to the scrap yard and expect real close to $600 of the $750 back that I paid for the trialer. Hopefully it pays off. :waytogo:

Attachments

• GrayTrailer 010a.jpg
    GrayTrailer 010a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 93
  • GrayTrailer 013a.jpg
    GrayTrailer 013a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 80
  • GrayTrailer 019a.jpg
    GrayTrailer 019a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 88

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here's the other decision I made that I hope to pay off. I did some calling around for NEW, and found $1389 to $1599 + tx for another $118-$130. So I had pretty blew it off since even used was going for $1000 for a basic 16ft, no brakes, no ramps, and was only 77in wide which means no square is going to drive up on it.

Then I found this one for $800. The guy finally called me back, which I figured it has sold already. I got out there asked about brakes, NOPE, ramps, NOPE but hey, I measure it and it's 81in wide. Square will fit. The guy said, buy it tonight, $750 and I'll weld on ramp ledges since you have ramps already. Cool, let's do it. So he welded those on real quick, $750 cash and carry.

Now, I can get out to my dads, consolidate and scrap those 2 C20 trucks and haul all the left overs to the scrap yard and expect real close $600 of the $750 back. Hopefully it pays off. :waytogo:

Yeah baby, turn that ******* train around man, good job!!! :grd:

**** just for hauling scrap should pay that off and give you some side work. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah baby, turn that ******* train around man, good job!!! :grd:

**** just for hauling scrap should pay that off and give you some side work. :)

EXACTLY !!! And some parts swapping, parts selling, truck buying and parting out etc etc. With a trailer, I've always found a way to make some extra cash. Maybe a bit harder to do these days though with fuel prices so damn high. Although scrap prices are high too so it might balance out. I'm more into parting them out and selling parts, then scrap the skeleton. That's about all the scrapping I do, but I damn sure will do some.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, what this guy who I bought this trailer from does, he custom builds trailers in his shop he has at home. He lives out in the country about 20 minutes from me. He also takes trailers in on trade, then refurbs them. He said he replaced 2 sticks of the lumber on this one, ran a new light set, took all the axles hubs apart, cleaned, regreased and lubed the bearings, wire brushed all the surface rust off and repainted it. It's pretty much just as good a brand new trailer now.

I do want to add brakes to at least 1 axle since I will be carrying full grown Burbs and such. I'd actually prefer brakes on both axles. They tend to last much longer with brakes on both axles, so it works out the same really by the time you replace them, so you may as well just put brakes on both axles, then it's like buying 1 set of brakes and then a replacement set right up front, but then you have the added safety benefit of fantastic stopping power. Only other mod I think I wanna do is add a spare tire carrier.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Get **** done HR!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good for You HR, I can see a great big turn around a coming Your way.:grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure happy to see some of you have some faith. To bad my Controlling Redneck Dad doesn't see it that way. I could have had a trailer in May, but thanks to that ****** it didn't happen. The money I'd save in fuel, the time I'd save in less trips, not to mention the things that I can do with a trailer and can't do in other ways. I can do many more things with a trailer like this with my back ailments, due to the fact it's so much lower to the ground than a pick up bed, or my box van. I don't have to be a phukin gimp, I just have to do things with a different technique is all. Then of course the things I'll be able to get accomplished just because I have a trailer, like moving the projects around, and hauling the scrap bodies over the scale that I could not do in the Box Van. But yes, of course I have ideas and some plans. Having a trailer for me will certainly make a difference. It's not going to fix all the issues and make everything better, but it's certainly going to make things better over time.

Now that I've got the trailer, it makes sense to start pulling trucks apart out at my dad's property. Of the 3 trucks out there, 1 with burnt cab, 1 with a bent frame, another with a bad bed etc, and with a core motor and a core transmission not worth rebuilding and some other parts, I have enough damaged parts to have a full complete truck with extra parts to scrap at $225 a ton. I'd imagine 5000+ lbs, I should end up with $550-$600 of the $750 I spent on the trailer. You can trust I have a bill to pay with that $600, but I called them up made a minimum payment to buy time, and have 30 days to complete my promise to pay. In short, what I did was use their money to purchase the trailer, and going to turn that cash back over when I scrap a complete wrecked truck body that I haven't been able to do in over 2 years since I haven't had a trailer. That was one of the agreements to myself if I were to ever sell the box van, is that I'd buy a trailer to replace the one I sold 3 years ago. Difference is, I won't be selling this one unless I've bought a nicer one to replace it. My last trailer was much nicer than this one as far as dimensions and features, but I will be able to do everything with this one that I did with that one. So again, it won't fix everything, but it'll certainly make things better and give me some more options. Not to mention, finally get to get busy on my projects and make some progress. Also with the box van now gone, I think I might just bring the 85 K10 home from my dad's place. There will be room for it in the driveway now. :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So what is the next step dawg? :popcorn:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Now that I've got the trailer, it makes sense to start pulling trucks apart out at my dad's property. Of the 3 trucks out there, 1 with burnt cab, 1 with a bent frame, another with a bad bed etc, and with a core motor and a core transmission not worth rebuilding and some other parts, I have enough damaged parts to have a full complete truck with extra parts to scrap now.

Does any of that stuff you are going to scrap have a right (passenger) side gas door that you would be willing to cut out and ship to me? I need the whole assembly including the metal around the door. The filler neck also. I want to replace the exposed gas cap on my 74 fleetside with a gas door assembly. I hate that exposed cap. Looking for the boxed area in the pic. If so PM me a price including shipping to 29445.
Thanks

Attachments

• gas filler area.jpg
    gas filler area.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like a great business decision, time to get stuff done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77