My 1991 v1500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
I have a few threads floating around, figured I would just consolidate and keep it all here. I recently bought a 1991 v1500 suburban with 200k miles. Planning on building it into a beach vehicle/camping expedition type vehicle.

I figure I would post pics in here as I go along and and make this my build thread. I am by no means a master mechanic and will likely be soliciting advice periodically.

So far I have gutted the rear carpet as it was horrible and covered with mouse ****. I still think he is living in there but I'll get him. any ways I am going to remove the rest soon and bed line the cab and then carpet over for the front two rows.

I have surface rust on the roof I will repair and lower barn door rust I am going to probably end up cutting off. then I will plastidip it.

last night it passed inspection amazingly so I took it back and removed the TBI to clean it and maybe do some mods, ill have to order a rebuild kit for it, all the gaskets literally were gone or crumbled.

Once I figure out how to post pictures I will.

Plans for the future are 4 inch lift from ORD most likely with 35s or a 3 inch lift with 33s. roof rack, gears (haven't decided what yet) and I will have to learn how. rear locker (maybe front) I don't plan on changing axles as I wont be rock crawling just some fording and exploring and beach camping. Likely custom front bumper for surf fishing and rear for spare and fuel. New exhaust to get rid of the restrictive Y pipe and maybe long tube heads.

Other than that I have gotten further on ideas yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
and some more, found a stowaway

Is the Y pipe okay, I have heard it is very restrictive?

I am trying to determine if the upper hose under the radiator cap is the return hose? the one that runs down along the passenger inner fender? I need to replace it.

I was able to clean up the throttle body and it will go back on this week after I clean the engine bay up some and remove some ratty wiring the previous owner had put in. Anyone know if vacuum tube can be replaced easily or is there a protocol to removing them?

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Alright, throttle body has been completed, new radiator and thermostat along with hoses. I have removed the rear interior carpet and headliner as well.

I am going to continue deep clean this week so far no more rust has been found other than the surface on the roof and some under the barn door. I did find an insane amount of mouse left over on top of the headliner and under the carpet but after traps inside for 2 weeks I think they are gone.

I kept the breather tube on for now since I wasn't sure about plugging it. Still planning on Plastidip as it is inexpensive and will look fine for my purposes and is removable unlike rattle can.

The engine does all of the sudden sound as though it's missing on a cylinder so I guess a new cap rotor, wires and plugs will be done...needed it anyways.

Then on to the jeep steering shaft, straightening out the steering wheel and after a multitude of other commitments this month I will see whats left over to order suspension from ORD.

Think 33's maybe 34's likely something simple as it will be mainly on the beach and in transit to it. Need to find a roof rack for the spare or bumper and I also am thinking about sliding rear windows.

Anyone know if the charcoal canister on these things causes idle issues? Also any interior recommendations with the carpet and headliner out? I wanted to reinsulate it as it does get hot on top. 90 dgress yesterday and the roof was like a stove top inside. wanted to keep the headliner out but Im not sure now. as for the floor the back will likely be lined but I may try and clean the front carpet. , notice all the aftermarket wires...I hate crap like this.

Attachments

• image5 (2).jpg
    image5 (2).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 117
  • image1 (5).jpg
    image1 (5).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
more disassembly pics, parts for tune up on order also, I bought some Frost king HVAC insulation too to put down after I fix a bit of floor pan rust. Called ORD for a price quote on 4 inch lift and greasable bushing kit and steering brace, gonna cost me about $1000.00 so I guess ill get everything else up to shape first. Going through all the RPO codes too.

Also bought an original roof rack from ebay, guy was local so I got a deal and he threw in the rear spoiler piece, all of it is the solid metal one, might pre drill holes before sanding priming and painting. Anyone have the measurements for the location of this rack and rear deflector, I was just gonna eyeball it but figured someone may be willing to measure. thanks

Attachments

• image2 (5).jpg
    image2 (5).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image3 (5).jpg
    image3 (5).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image6 (2).jpg
    image6 (2).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
maybe im wrong, but going through RPOs I saw this is a 3.42 rear??? if so im not happy, I thought it was definitely a 3.73. is fo I guess I might as well go FF 14 bolt with 4.10 now and D60 front. I was hoping to just get a SF 3.73 14 bolt....damn....probably best to get these before the lift too

Also, am I just not checking the correct places (I think I have looked everywhere) but I cannot find a full aftermarket high flow or just better exhaust complete system...I can buy piping and high flow cats and mufflers but there is not a system anywhere. I don't have a welder and after pricing shops I was hoping to find a bolt on kit so I could get rid of the Y pipe and add in a high flow cat and maybe a 40 series. anyone have any recommendations?

I called Jegs directly and they had nothing

Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
update....new plugs, cap, rotor, and wire. PCV valve and EGR gasket done on the 4th. Thing is purring now. I did find a few loose connections that I have no clue what they go to and my Haynes manual has been no help. I will post up pics soon, maybe someone knows. one is a vacuum line behind the distributor and another is a connector coming out of the harness on the EGR side of the block that looks like it was never plugged in and no is actually melted somewhat, doesn't seem to affect anything but I'd love to know what it does.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Update: Having a horrible time removing all the excess wiring in this thing. I think I finally disconnected the horrible aftermarket alarm system, cut off the speaker as it kept going off and cleaned the engine bay connections out however trying to unhook, all the connections into the ignition controls is proving a PITA. I really am trying to avoid doing major harm to any wiring so at this point I may just shove the rets under the dash for the time being.

The amplifier cables that were run were not as bad but with all the other wires along with them it is fun figuring out which firewall locations the PO ran them through. At least it is helping me scout some good locations for my CB and possible HAM. I will try and post more pics up soon. Any one have any advice on the previous questions? I am also trying to figure out if regular corrugated wire wrap will be good for inside the engine bay or if I will need specific heat resistant covering, all the old stuff is falling apart

put in an offer on a new casa yesterday so hopefully it will go through and I can get this thing into my own two car garage, I have never had a large garage and I can't wait. the market here is tough though and Im not sure if ill get it or not...waiting game. It's our first house (owned) we have been moving due to the Army the last few years and now I am out and finally settled so it's time to finally buy.

side note-any advice on buying first homes? or VA loan process?

Attachments

• parts july.jpg
    parts july.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Can someone explain to me why I would switch over to a 2wd Steering box when I lift this? I keep reading about it. I was planning on getting the ORD brace and arm but figured I might as well put on the 2wd box while I am at it if I need to. I don't want to get the jeep shaft though if it wont work on the 2wd box. I am also hoping I can just use the drop pittman arm and not have to buy crossover right now, I think it will be okay considering I am not going to high. after adjusting my draglink I managed to get the wheel somewhat back to normal..about 45 degrees off instead of 90 degrees. I figure once I do all the above it will straighten out....but yeah whats up with the 2wd swap?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I can't help with your steering box question but just wanted to say you've been doing a lot of work cleaning that thing up. I think a lot of people couldn't get past the clean up stage with mice.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
I can't help with your steering box question but just wanted to say you've been doing a lot of work cleaning that thing up. I think a lot of people couldn't get past the clean up stage with mice.

Hah, yeah it was pretty nasty in there but its looking a lot better now, I will post up more pics soon, The girlfriend was pissed actually I guess when I originally brought it home there was more than one and she left a granola bar in her console...well over night it got in some how under the dash and into the center console chewed threw some plastic and dined all night...well she got in the next day and freaked out....needless to say I got to deal with that issue to and had to sanitize every damn inch of her 4 runner....hah now I will just flip it open while driving to freak her out, kind of fun.

by the way nice build thread

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
got some work done on sanding and priming this weekend,not as much as I would have like but oh well, used rust converter primer after some grinding, as Im not going for show quality you will see its just being rolled on. hopefully I can get it all taped and painted in the next week or so.

heres some pics

Attachments

• floorpan.jpg
    floorpan.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 130
  • tailgate2.jpg
    tailgate2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 100

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
more

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Im thoroughly impressed no one has any advice on the 2wd steering box thing or any other questions. Ill just keep trying to find info. May be selling for a blazer...just a possibility

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Can someone explain to me why I would switch over to a 2wd Steering box when I lift this? I keep reading about it. I was planning on getting the ORD brace and arm but figured I might as well put on the 2wd box while I am at it if I need to. I don't want to get the jeep shaft though if it wont work on the 2wd box. I am also hoping I can just use the drop pittman arm and not have to buy crossover right now, I think it will be okay considering I am not going to high. after adjusting my draglink I managed to get the wheel somewhat back to normal..about 45 degrees off instead of 90 degrees. I figure once I do all the above it will straighten out....but yeah whats up with the 2wd swap?

Are you going to run a cross over steering setup? That is the only reason you would use a 2wd steering box. Because the spline position is rotated on the 2wd box which makes it perfect for a cross over steering set up. IF your not. Then just get a raised steering arm in either 4" or 6" to match your lift and use your current 4wd steering box.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Thanks, crossover from what I have read would make it stronger and help reduce steering related issues and wheel travel/wander so I may go that route guess it will depend on if I can find a decent 2wd box for a affordable price. Might use the drop arm first as I know they are fairly inexpensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus