My 1991 v1500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Vibrations at speed are almost always a wheel/tire issue. Tires, especially old tires, are very prone to internal belt slip......especially tires that have been rotated or installed in a way that they are then run in the opposite direction that they used to be run in. Once the belts slip, the tire will not hold it's shape, and becomes an egg at speed. That magic speed is usually in the 45mph-55mph range.

I put a set of Kumho's on my VW Rabbit P/u a couple years ago because they were so highly recommended. Normally I would never look at a crap brand tire. About a year into ownership, the steering wheel knocked back and forth so bad that I couldn't even drive on the freeway. Both of the tires on the front had broken belts.

I've been running General Grabber's on the Suburban for about 6 years (2nd set went on last summer). Really like them a lot because they are quiet, yet stiff enough in the "Extra Load" version, to still support the truck properly, even with 9 people and a camper in tow. I put a set of General Altimax on the VW p/u, and on the daughter's 2002 Beetle.....same excellent results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64