My 1982 Buick Grand National Project basket case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Floor pan is ordered hopefully it’ll be here this week

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
I think I’m going to do my seats like this set I saw on one of the interior threads, leather and suede I think it looks very nice and clean. Unfortunately my original upholstery is trash and I think it’s worth updating to better materials. I also was able to locate a original 82 GN radio and have purchased it complete with knobs and bracket. All of the suspension parts to make the frame a roller once it’s painted are on the way along with a set of 82 GN wheels and I ordered the new updated 82 caps from gbodyparts. I got shielding gas for the welder and set it up just need to start practicing my tacks and get the body braced and measured up and cut the original firewall and floor out for the replacements.

You must be registered for see images attach

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Just opened the boxes up so far I have received both new lower control arms, all new shocks, all new spring insulators, new bump stops, new tie rod ends, and a few other odds for the engine. I ordered all new control arms and I must say the lowers I just received look very nice!

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Todays parts arrival we have the new upper control arms, new center link, tie rod sleeves, idler arm, new fuel pump, new wheel bearings, new brake lines and also the new updated 1982 GN center caps that gbodyparts offers and I must say the quality is super! Just as nice as the black caps they offer!

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Got the frame mounted up on the engine stands and got the correct wheels in today. Going to get some more dollies tomorrow to set the body on to roll it around. Would like to get the frame back inside to start working on the prep work for it.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Got all the corporate blue pieces painted finally, also gave the frame a real good pressure washing. And ordered this chassis coating kit from KBS from the research I’ve done it seems to be a pretty good product. I hope it is.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Got a about 55-60% of the frame wire wheeled yesterday before I cooked my cheap grinder. Will pick up another one today probably and maybe continue working on it this evening. Also stripped the clear coat off the wheels but they have some corrosion that needs to be addressed. I’m going to see about getting some quotes on getting them refinished and or possibly polishing them myself undecided what I’m going to do at this point.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Love that frame rotisserie you built. Have you considered a "cheap" sand blaster as a means to clean up the frame? If you have a compressor seems like a less labor intensive process than the wire wheel. Good call on the wheels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Love that frame rotisserie you built. Have you considered a "cheap" sand blaster as a means to clean up the frame? If you have a compressor seems like a less labor intensive process than the wire wheel. Good call on the wheels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I’ve looked at them and actually did a couple quotes on sending it out to be blasted but it’s in such good shape it doesn’t need much cleanup the worst part is where someone sprayed black paint in the engine area and rear wheel area aside from that everything is pretty quick.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The green Hitachi angle grinders are cheap and incredibly durable. Most Lowe's stores still sell them I think.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
The green Hitachi angle grinders are cheap and incredibly durable. Most Lowe's stores still sell them I think.

This one is a 15 dollar from harbor freight I’m honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did I bought it a couple years back. I went back and got another today

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
So in the past couple weeks I’ve been battling my chrons disease so been working on the car when I’ve felt ok. I got the frame completely stripped and cleaned and me and my wife painted it using the KBS frame coater kit followed by there satin black top coat that has uv protection. I also got a good portion of body bracing done for the car. Will probably do the firewall first and then floor pan.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model