MSD Atomic EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I saw the guys on Carfix install one of these on a '70 Monte BBC. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2900/overview/

Any of you know anything about these? Other than the price, the concept of it sounded pretty good. Of course, these shows now are 50% promotional sales pitches now, so I take everything with a grain of salt. I do like the ideal of being able to retain the stock carb/air cleaner look and have fuel injection on a classic ride. VERY cost prohibitive though....

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I sometimes have a different opinion on things, just ask anybody I work with, or my wife.

I believe, you can do better. That is a TBI unit, basically a glorified carb in many respects.

I would suggest looking at a multi-port system. Holley Avenger, Edelbrock Pro-Flo, FAST, and Howell all offer MPI systems the accept the stock looking carb/air cleaner look. Yes, you will have fuel rails showing also, but at that point how many people will truly notice, or care for that matter? But I believe a MPI type system is worth the extra cost over a TBI system. They use that type of system on the new motors for a reason, because it works better than a TBI.

These are the EFI systems I will be looking at when I get ready to do it on my truck. Thanks for listening.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I agree with Green. Don't get me wrong, I love TBI, but it still suffers from "wet manifold" syndrome, just like a carb does. All of your fuel has to travel through the manifold along with the air intake. Does it work? Of course, it works great! But this can cause uneven fuel distribution, longer starts, etc. In general, a "dry manifold" (multi-port), just works better. If you are forking out that much money for EFI, I'd say go for the most optimal route.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I agree with Green. Don't get me wrong, I love TBI, but it still suffers from "wet manifold" syndrome, just like a carb does. All of your fuel has to travel through the manifold along with the air intake. Does it work? Of course, it works great! But this can cause uneven fuel distribution, longer starts, etc. In general, a "dry manifold" (multi-port), just works better. If you are forking out that much money for EFI, I'd say go for the most optimal route.

100% on the mark.
I personally would forget about the other systems, and go with the Holley Avenger multipoint, one of the main reasons being, that it uses standard injectors, and the other, just as equally important, its the same system being used by NASCAR, which means excellent support, and they are testing it every Sunday!

And if you are wondering....yup, I kick myself in the ass for going to TBI.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm not doing anything on my square. The TBI, is good enough for me. I do have a BBC Chevelle that I've been pondering what I would do in the future when the carb goes out. It's a Quadrajet that I believe is stock, although it's probably been rebuilt at some point.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm not doing anything on my square. The TBI, is good enough for me. I do have a BBC Chevelle that I've been pondering what I would do in the future when the carb goes out. It's a Quadrajet that I believe is stock, although it's probably been rebuilt at some point.
Lighten up the spring tension on the rear barrels, just slightly, get it so it`ll leap off the ground, but not to the point of bogging down. Play with it.

Just something about the looks of them four barrel TBIs that gets to Me.
Maybe, they make a multi point with a four barrel for air control. :shrug: :popcorn:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Summit also sells this one for about $600 cheaper. It looks to be comparable.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-30226-kit/overview/

My BBC has had the secondaries tied open full time for God knows how long. My old man had 'em tied open that way with a piece of wire. I removed the wire to see what the difference was and found none so I left 'em untied. I honestly have no idea how to change the spring tension. That's how little I know abouit carbs and that's why I'd consider going AM fuel injection if my carb crapped out. I don't know......the original one has lasted so long, maybe the best thing to do would be to spend about 1/3 of that money to send it to the best rebuilder out there and slap the thing back on and hope it fires right up without needing much adjustment. (like I'm ever that lucky:disgust:)

I guess it theoretically could be different on the BBC, but adding TBI on the SBC's have a 40hp bump. For that and smoother starts, all while maintaining a pretty stock appearance....... it makes a reasonably strong case for conversion.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just something about the looks of them four barrel TBIs that gets to Me.
Maybe, they make a multi point with a four barrel for air control. :shrug: :popcorn:

Holley Avenger...

You must be registered for see images attach

Classic intake/carb look, modern MPI function. Available for both small and big blocks. This particular picture is for a big block.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Summit also sells this one for about $600 cheaper. It looks to be comparable.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-30226-kit/overview/

My BBC has had the secondaries tied open full time for God knows how long. My old man had 'em tied open that way with a piece of wire. I removed the wire to see what the difference was and found none so I left 'em untied. I honestly have no idea how to change the spring tension. That's how little I know abouit carbs and that's why I'd consider going AM fuel injection if my carb crapped out. I don't know......the original one has lasted so long, maybe the best thing to do would be to spend about 1/3 of that money to send it to the best rebuilder out there and slap the thing back on and hope it fires right up without needing much adjustment. (like I'm ever that lucky:disgust:)

I guess it theoretically could be different on the BBC, but adding TBI on the SBC's have a 40hp bump. For that and smoother starts, all while maintaining a pretty stock appearance....... it makes a reasonably strong case for conversion.

If you have a q jet, and the top secondary butterflies are open, the secondary metering rods are also full rich....problem.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Holley Avenger...

Classic intake/carb look, modern MPI function. Available for both small and big blocks. This particular picture is for a big block.

OOOOHHHhh~HOOOO~HOOOOO, I LIKE THAT !!!!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeaaaah buddy!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That's lot of crap in that kit! I like the piece though. Looks mean as **** too. Prolly scare the hell outta my lil '402!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you have a q jet, and the top secondary butterflies are open, the secondary metering rods are also full rich....problem.

Not any more.....I set them free back in Jan. The carb doesn't hold fuel anyway. Let it sit for more than a week or so and it takes a lot of pumping and cranking to get fuel back in the carb. I'd imagine the secondaries had bled back out also.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Not any more.....I set them free back in Jan. The carb doesn't hold fuel anyway. Let it sit for more than a week or so and it takes a lot of pumping and cranking to get fuel back in the carb. I'd imagine the secondaries had bled back out also.

Ya know, one of the big things with that carb over time, was those rear butterflies sticking after everything warmed up.. Another thing, that engine may do better with the 800cfm Q Jet, if you dont go efi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli