New guy, father and son from CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

connerh

Reaction score
First Name
Conner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 BB
Hey! currently restoring a 1973 k20. My father is showing me all the ways to restore things (with his skills from restoring plenty of late 60's muscle cars), and Im joining this thread to find answers to questions and be a part of the community.

so we had been looking for a project to start for a while, and months after passing up the opportunity for a 1969 roadrunner roller at $5k, we found this 1973 k20 with a 402 BB for the great deal of $2k. was a friend selling. which my dad and I both loved the squarebodys.
You must be registered for see images attach

we got her running with the original 402 big block then did a quick burnout and started tearing away at her insides haha.

we pulled the bed off, the cab off then the engine transmission transfer case and all that, until we were left with a frame and millions of parts.

unfortunately, when we took apart the engine, the 402bb was at the end of its life. it wasnt worth saving.

so after that, we did some work to the frame then used por 15 along the whole frame

then ran through the axles, painted those to

as well as all the axle components.

and thats where we are now. we have been lazy recently as we havent been able to afford or find a good engine for it but we plan on putting a 454 BB in there as well as a fuel injection kit. im also working full time and doing college full time (mechanical engineering), as well as trying to make a business. while he is working full time, out of town many days. so we dont get much time to work on this but when we can we get it done. 1-2 days some weeks and a 1 minute gaze at it for other weeks. but we will get her done, probably not before I move out but im staying local so we will have it done by next year.
heres the ones in consideration right now,

we plan on putting a longbed on there as it was a flatbed. thought about shortening the frame for a shortbed but we are keeping it original, but steering away from the original green/white . we havent come to a decision yet but we are thinking a blue and white would look better, even though its not original.

and im going to talk about our other vehicles down below if you are interested.

Last edited:

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Welcome to the show and tell for adults coming from Edmonton Canada, nice bones so far, keep up the good work and we’re all pic horrs around here ;)

connerh

Reaction score
First Name
Conner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 BB
And now about my other vehicles incase your interested.
first car bought when I was 17 for 4500 was a 1992 jeep wrangler yj with the 2.5l i4.

It was a money pit, but money isnt an issue when your in high school working a job so instead of selling this POS, i bought $9k+ of work to get her running and she still barely runs well. rebuilt engine, transmission, distributors water pumps heater cores, any part that exists in that car? i had to change.

Now, after wanting to buy a new car for so long, i bought a 2017 challenger T/A (345 hemi) with a manual transmission just 2 months ago, soon after I turned 21. daily driver but scares me a bit as ive never had this much power.

shes amazing and also the only reason I know forums exist!

now my dad has owned many cars all badass. 2 1st gen camaros, firebirds, chevelle, el camino, 80s k5, and now a silverado. (and plenty of other cars/trucks i cant pull out of my head right now)

look forward to meeting people in this community! happy to see tons of squarebodys!

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Welcome from DFW Texas! We are on year 2 of my sons daily driver project. Great memories! Enjoy the laughing, crying and yelling… part of the process

Randy and Easton

Red 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5,K10,C20,C30,K30
Engine Size
Welcome from Paso Robles!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Welcome aboard. Nice start.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Welcome from far west TEXAS!

Beware of the crowd though... lol!

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Welcome from DFW Texas! We are on year 2 of my sons daily driver project. Great memories! Enjoy the laughing, crying and yelling… part of the process

Randy and Easton
Great looking truck. I'm partial to all original, and long beds. I started a group on Facebook called "All Original Squarebodies", and the membership has exploded. I didnt think that many people were interested, but was I wrong. Keep that old truck up, buddy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes