Bringing the Cat back...enough is enough.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Right after the Y merge (the upper left of the picture you can see a little bit of the weld, that's the merge), it jumps up and over the Tcase crossmember, then right into the converter. It's a pretty good ways away from the manifolds, and apparently GM thought it was good enough?
You must be registered for see images attach

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Cat inlet just about even with the end of the T-case on mine, not sure the length difference between the TH400 and your setup.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Most emissions equipment creates more pollution than it prevents just through its own process of manufacture. Cats are filled with various rare metals, and it is the production of these metals where the biggest and longest lasting environmental impacts are created. The same goes for almost everything "green." There are already huge junkyards full of dead electric cars that now have been declared environmental wastelands.

Not to mention only one volcano erupts and pushed more CO2 and ash into the atmosphere in two days than most countries do in a year (China notwithstanding.)
If people truly are concerned about their own (miniscule) impact on the planet, they would walk everywhere naked and barefoot.
We can't do anything about the volcanoes and we didn't create them. They are going to make and install emissions equipment on our cars,how does taking it all off help our environment?lf NO ONE at all recycled,watched emissions,regulated businesses drove economy cars etc.we would be truly screwed. no usable water left, no oil left,cant breath or walk because the airs trashed and our water is is polluted and everything is covered with water bottles and beer cans. Yea just me recycling and running a cat doesn't really help,but millions of people recycling, watching emission, mpg etc makes a difference. Just like an election we are going to get a president no matter what,and your vote by its self doesn't matter but millions of votes do matter. We are going to have pollution,but we don't have to make it worse.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just to follow up. I learned a lot with this project. I have no noticable fumes. No power loss. A great sounding and clean looking exhaust system. Absolutely worth the time, money and effort. Carry on.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Just to follow up. I learned a lot with this project. I have no noticable fumes. No power loss. A great sounding and clean looking exhaust system. Absolutely worth the time, money and effort. Carry on.
Interesting read. Well done!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep, Better deaf than dead. :burnout:
Actually it's not that bad,and I didn't originate that trick.I can't remember who it was,it wasn't yenko but the same kinda deal. A shop taking brand new camaros doing all the 50 state legal mods and selling new,emissions legal hot rod camaros,no muffler cat as the muffler was one of their tricks.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I knew it would turn out this way! Thanks for the follow up.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Wait, no list of p/ns or pics to help a guy out?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The cat went on because I couldn't stand breathing the toxic fumes and destroying my lungs. Quality, high flow cats have zero impact on performance on most daily driven vehicles, especially lowly, low rpm truck engines. The benefits far outweigh not having them. I still value my health over anything else. Pix? I know this was covered in another thread but here's a few to refresh our memories.

Attachments

• IMG_20221110_102526028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221110_102526028_HDR.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20221113_163528178_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221113_163528178_HDR.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221110_101722337.jpg
    IMG_20221110_101722337.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20221110_102247736.jpg
    IMG_20221110_102247736.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230519_133652035.jpg
    IMG_20230519_133652035.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 47

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've always been of the opinion I'll run a cat but no muffler but not visa versa the cat is my muffler and guess what? EGR and knock sensor isn't evil either.
Well on a fuel injected vehicle yeah obviously a knock sensor is needed, and depending on how modern and finicky the system is you may need a cat to get proper o2 readings for the ecu to adjust accordingly. But on older rigs (especially carbed stuff) man I can't get some of that stuff off the vehicle fast enoght. EGR is a pretty bad system, I like a clean engine I don't want to pump a bunch of dirty exhaust fumes back into my intake, same way I don't sift the corn out of my turds and eat them again... lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well on a fuel injected vehicle yeah obviously a knock sensor is needed, and depending on how modern and finicky the system is you may need a cat to get proper o2 readings for the ecu to adjust accordingly. But on older rigs (especially carbed stuff) man I can't get some of that stuff off the vehicle fast enoght. EGR is a pretty bad system, I like a clean engine I don't want to pump a bunch of dirty exhaust fumes back into my intake, same way I don't sift the corn out of my turds and eat them again... lol
What about the peas?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My fuel injected engine doesn't have a knock sensor. Those were for early tbi units and a crude way to retard timing. Know you just write a proper tune to avoid detonation. I can do it real time on my phone.
EGR is not a bad system. The inert gas displaces volume that lowers the cylinder temp which reduces nox, the poison gas that otherwise goes out your tailpipe, unless of course you have a catalytic converter. Short of drag racing, I guarantee you can't notice any difference in power.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
My fuel injected engine doesn't have a knock sensor. Those were for early tbi units and a crude way to retard timing. Know you just write a proper tune to avoid detonation. I can do it real time on my phone.
EGR is not a bad system. The inert gas displaces volume that lowers the cylinder temp which reduces nox, the poison gas that otherwise goes out your tailpipe, unless of course you have a catalytic converter. Short of drag racing, I guarantee you can't notice any difference in power.
Well my 2008 2500hd 6.0 LS work truck was basically hobbled by a bad knock sensor. Replaced it and it works great. Not worried about tuning, I just drive that junker stock, and honestly am getting it ready to sell to replace with a K30 dually.

As far as my squares go, I'm not worried about poison coming out the tailpipe, I'm not in the habit of breathing the exhaust fumes. I have even taught my kindergarten age kid to stay away from tailpipes... so yeah pretty simple fix there. Poison it up, I'm not breathing it. I'm all about a simpler system with less parts to break/ need replacement.