More quadrajet help please! Won’t run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It sounds almost like your choke pull-off isn't working. Did you go through and check and set all of the measurements properly based on the setting provided in the booklet that came with your rebuild kit? I'm a little concerned that when asked about an exploded diagram, you said it was a link to a youtube video, as that was not at all what I got from them with my rebuild kit. You Should have gotten a folded up bunch of papers that had an exploded view of your carb with part numbers and also a numbered list of illustrations for checks and settings that are applicable to your carb. There should also have been a page with a list of settings for specific applications. The idea that you just eyeballed your float level makes me think you didn't do this.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
What ignition system?
Just curious..
If your running points..invest in a reman hei unit..about $75.

It’s a GM hei setup. I’m actually thinking about going back to points. I’ve had two module failures on my 82. Aftermarket crap. I did the grease and everything. At least points won’t leave you
It sounds almost like your choke pull-off isn't working. Did you go through and check and set all of the measurements properly based on the setting provided in the booklet that came with your rebuild kit? I'm a little concerned that when asked about an exploded diagram, you said it was a link to a youtube video, as that was not at all what I got from them with my rebuild kit. You Should have gotten a folded up bunch of papers that had an exploded view of your carb with part numbers and also a numbered list of illustrations for checks and settings that are applicable to your carb. There should also have been a page with a list of settings for specific applications. The idea that you just eyeballed your float level makes me think you didn't do this.

No, I didn’t get anything from them. Just a parts list, and a link that said go here for instructions.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Do you have the distributer ground strap connected to a good ground?
There is a reason your burning out ignition modules..

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It’s a GM hei setup. I’m actually thinking about going back to points. I’ve had two module failures on my 82. Aftermarket crap. I did the grease and everything. At least points won’t leave you

No, I didn’t get anything from them. Just a parts list, and a link that said go here for instructions.

At no point is a points system better or more reliable. You need to figure out why you are toasting modules. Make sure you have good solid connections for both the power and ground wires with no corrosion anywhere.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Ok guys, wanted to give an update. I got the truck running last night. Runs great. I ended up taking carb back off from last weekend, took the extra spring out of the accelerator pump that was actually for the inlet filter. (I didn’t look at the diagram and just put things back how they were that’s why I put two springs in there). I turned the idle mixture screws to 1.25 turns out each from 2.5 turns out. Cleaned the corrosion between choke coil and mounting housing so now the choke coil works when 12 volts is applied. Adjusted the float to 15/32nds down. Bolted it on, filled the bowl and she light right off.

for sitting so many years the motor really sounds good. I had done a compression test earlier this week and found all cylinders had 150 except #7 which was down to 135. I’m betting they’re all up a bit because when it first started I had some popping out the exhaust which I’m sure was from some rust on the valve seats and back side of the valves too.
Now I’ve got to get the truck in shape enough to drive it and do final tune on this carb.

Ben

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Itali83,

I wouldn't have drilled out anything and filling ports with JB weld has rendered this carb inoperable especially later on when you'll need those ports.

About the best thing you can do now is get a rebuilt Q-Jet, don't do anything to it! And put it on the engine and then try and start it. You might as well throw this carb in the trash, it's ruined!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@Itali83,

I wouldn't have drilled out anything and filling ports with JB weld has rendered this carb inoperable especially later on when you'll need those ports.

About the best thing you can do now is get a rebuilt Q-Jet, don't do anything to it! And put it on the engine and then try and start it. You might as well throw this carb in the trash, it's ruined!

its pretty standard to replace the plugs with marine JB weld to get rid of the leaky well plug issue that is prevalent on certain year Q-jets. He got it working good now, why would he trash it and start over?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As is common most issues turn out to be a carb rebuild screw up.
Happy motoring!

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
@Itali83,

i only drilled out the dont screw with plugs that are over the idle air mixture screws. The jb weld was put over the known to leak well plugs. It runs mint now. Couldn’t be happier.

Ben

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Been meaning to update this thread. I’ve been driving this truck now for a few hundred miles and it’s been running great. Starts right up and runs smooth down the road. Finally got it all dialed in and I’m happy with it…

Ben

Attachments

• 0112C53A-7320-4209-B6A7-F47585E3EC4D.jpeg
    0112C53A-7320-4209-B6A7-F47585E3EC4D.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 90FD99F7-2ED1-4B41-BE75-85F0E81BA61A.jpeg
    90FD99F7-2ED1-4B41-BE75-85F0E81BA61A.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 95

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Been meaning to update this thread. I’ve been driving this truck now for a few hundred miles and it’s been running great. Starts right up and runs smooth down the road. Finally got it all dialed in and I’m happy with it…

Ben
@Paladin Check out this Quadrajet ^^^

That is the most unusual Quadrajet I have ever seen:hahano:

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I was wondering how long until someone noticed. I just flat out ran out of time fiddle f@cking around with the old quadrabog. I literally couldn’t get it to even run around the yard after that first day of it running decently. Took it apart again, removed idle transfer tubes to find they were nice and clean anyway. Checked everything over again and still couldn’t get to run without mostly being choked etc etc. I had to move forward and I know Holleys so I got a summit knock off one and it’s great. Still need to dial it in but it runs great for what I need now. I boxed up the quadrajet and may try it again someday but not now I know that.

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes