Monroe shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Well that's good news then. Let me ask this, how can you tell when a shock is bad? I finally put the correct bolts in the top of my rear ones today. While I had them loose, I pushed the piston in, and it stayed in. It had a good bit of resistance going in and coming back out, but I had to pull it back out. Should a good shock rebound on its own? I was under the impression that it should, but I could be wrong. These are rancho 5000s of that makes any difference.

Rancho 5000 work by valving and fluid. They do not extend on their own. If they flop in/out then they are bad, otherwise hard to tell. They provide more resistance if pushed harder.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Rancho 5000 work by valving and fluid. They do not extend on their own. If they flop in/out then they are bad, otherwise hard to tell. They provide more resistance if pushed harder.

OK so since they move in and out smoothly, feel tight, and aren't leaking, odds are they are still good with only 9k miles on them, despite being 15 years old? I know it's nearly impossible to tell for certain without having them in your hands physically. The truck does seem a little smoother with the correct mounting hardware in place. Imagine that.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
OK so since they move in and out smoothly, feel tight, and aren't leaking, odds are they are still good with only 9k miles on them, despite being 15 years old? I know it's nearly impossible to tell for certain without having them in your hands physically. The truck does seem a little smoother with the correct mounting hardware in place. Imagine that.

I had one go bad on me, but it was obvious because it was leaking. Other than that likely to be ok. The truck would become bouncy on the road if they were not working.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had one go bad on me, but it was obvious because it was leaking. Other than that likely to be ok. The truck would become bouncy on the road if they were not working.

Well that makes me feel better then, thanks for chiming in. The truck bounces a little bit but being a short wheelbase 4wd with leaf springs all the way around, it's going to bounce some. I know it won't ever be Cadillac smooth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1