Mobile Appraisal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Anyone knows of mechanics that can do an appraisal on old vehicles in the Toronto Canada area that can do one outside the garage on one's property? Need it to register the vehicle under my name.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Anyone knows of mechanics that can do an appraisal on old vehicles in the Toronto Canada area that can do one outside the garage on one's property? Need it to register the vehicle under my name.
I'm so confused by this. Is it a tax thing? Why do you need an appraisal to get it registered under your name? Is it an appraisal for repairs to get it running so you can register it, or do you need some kind of value appraisal? I would think if it is a value appraisal it would need to be done by someone with some kind of credential or certification to do so, a mechanic would be a poor judge of vehicle value.

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
If it needs that kind of appraisal I'm open to those parties... I think it's for how much I have to pay in tax to the government

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm so confused by this. Is it a tax thing? Why do you need an appraisal to get it registered under your name? Is it an appraisal for repairs to get it running so you can register it, or do you need some kind of value appraisal? I would think if it is a value appraisal it would need to be done by someone with some kind of credential or certification to do so, a mechanic would be a poor judge of vehicle value.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I dont know what is required. It seems odd that they would want an appraisal on a vehicle that is over 40 years old. They have obviously gotten any tax value out of it over that time of it being registered. Often in the US when there is a similar situation it will go off a bill of sale or similar type of thing. I would think if the government requires a specific thing they would have a list of approved people that can perform the appraisal.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I think it's for how much I have to pay in tax to the government
That makes sense, the province of Quebec lists a tax rate of 14.975% on vehicle registrations, so they must have to establish some sort of value. There is also a requirement for a safety inspection number or certificate number (the exact wording varies by province). There's no info online on how a vehicle's value is established though. In California, for example, they ask what you paid for a used vehicle in order to assess a sales tax. If it sounds reasonable, they go with whatever you tell them. If not, they'll ask for a third party's (dealer, mechanic) written estimate.

It seems like this could be as simple as going to any mechanic with a few pictures of the vehicle and having him write up a vehicle value estimate, detailing required work and level of rust/corrosion. A few extra dollars to the mechanic for a low estimate will be recouped during the registration process since 15% is a pretty heavy tax rate.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Did you get a used vehicle information package from the seller when you bought it? This page says they legally have to provide it, and it would have the appraised value. There is also a link on that page to an appraisal form and it mentions a "recognized independent appraiser".
https://www.ontario.ca/page/used-vehicle-information-package

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
That makes sense, the province of Quebec lists a tax rate of 14.975% on vehicle registrations, so they must have to establish some sort of value. There is also a requirement for a safety inspection number or certificate number (the exact wording varies by province). There's no info online on how a vehicle's value is established though. In California, for example, they ask what you paid for a used vehicle in order to assess a sales tax. If it sounds reasonable, they go with whatever you tell them. If not, they'll ask for a third party's (dealer, mechanic) written estimate.

It seems like this could be as simple as going to any mechanic with a few pictures of the vehicle and having him write up a vehicle value estimate, detailing required work and level of rust/corrosion. A few extra dollars to the mechanic for a low estimate will be recouped during the registration process since 15% is a pretty heavy tax rate.
Apparently it doesn't have to be a mechanic that does the appraisal. After I went online and looked for appraisers and found one not too far and they gave me an appraisal over the phone and email with documentation forwarded to them. Hopefully this is the last piece of information to get it registered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69