might buy this 82 k20 4x4 6.2 detroit and become a member...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
what kind of fuel lines should i look into? steel braided..? thx!!

I don't recall off hand what the lines were called, but they were some type of rubber, just not the common stuff you get at the chain stores. A little research on the internet should give you the information.

the biggest problem with all of it was that when petro fuel got expensive you couldn't find WVO anymore.
That's why I don't make it very often anymore, too hard to come up with the waste vegetable oil.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
anyways.. what kind of fuel lines should i look into? steel braided..? thx!!

Viton or at least alcohol resistant. A lot of marine grade hoses are alcohol resistant.

TigerTodd

Reaction score
First Name
todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks. I have a little too much experience with it. We saw a lot of bio related stuff during the economic mess of '08ish when fuel was nudging $5.00/ gallon. All of a sudden people were brewing fuel at home like bathtub gin during prohibition. Bio has some significant advantages, but for now it probably works best as a blend. In that case it boosts cetane and lubricity significantly. Still have the issues with cold and water.

The other thing that people were fooling with was straight waste vegetable oil. Which some people mistakenly call biodiesel. WVO needs to be heated to well over 100° to flow properly. It also needs an obscene amount of filtering. The major drawback for a vehicle is you can't shut it down with WVO in the system. Once it cools it congeals and sticks everything in the injection system. So you have to start up on biodiesel or Petro diesel, get the system hot, switch to WVO, then switch back before you shut down. Not ideal for a trip to the grocery store. Also, the glycerin in WVO turns into glue when it comes in contact with petroleum.

Of course, if you wade through the catalytic cracking process to separate the plant Esther's from the glycerin to turn it into biodiesel you avoid some of the issues, but the biggest problem with all of it was that when petro fuel got expensive you couldn't find WVO anymore.

We had one customer who was running a generator to power refrigeration on straight WVO. He had an elaborate filtration system that took up more space than the generator. It was a seafood supplier for restaurants so they could collect the used cooking oil on their way out. They would also crack their own bio for startup and shutdown.

We would rebuild a seized injection pump for them once a year.

And as Todd seems to have noticed, it's rough on certain rubber compounds.

That should about cover it. Thanks for listening. :rolleyes:

WOW!! great info thank you!! You've given me a lot to think about I should have the truck in the next couple hours I'll post some more pics

TigerTodd

Reaction score
First Name
todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
oh ya.. anyone add cruise? any recommendations?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Working on a utility fleet for many years I have some experience with bio-fuel. We started with a higher percentage of bio-fuel and we had problems. The many F550's in the fleet had tank problems. The fuel was delaminating the tank linings. Of course clogged filters at first, then pumps and lines. I'll explain why in a minute.

The Freightliners with the later model Caterpillar 3126 HEUI had pump problems. Instead of using high pressure oil to fire the injectors, these engines use high pressure fuel. Many of these units got new fuel tanks, fuel lines and very high dollar pumps.

Here is the reason: To make the bio-fuel solvents are mixed with the resources, corn, grease fat, chicken fat and whatever. Stir this mix up and heat it up. When it settles, on the top is the chopped up chicken bones and corn cobs and whatever. In the middle is the bio-fuel and now at the bottom are the solvents. So filter off the top and remove the bi-fuel from the middle, pull the solvents and use them again.

Problem is after a few batches the solvents won't do their thing, so what do you do? The solvents are a hazardous waste, will cost money to get rid of them. But the solvents will burn, so just put the solvents into the fuel you made and they are gone.

These solvents in the fuel were pulling the tank lining off the Fords. These solvents would change the lubricating qualities of the diesel fuel and the Cat HUEI pumps would start shaving metal from the pump.

Yes my description of how the fuel is made, is very crude, but I wanted to paint a picture. So you know how the solvents end up in the fuel. Oh, did I tell you the fuel island pumps were clogging the filters and needed to be changed every couple days? The next year after we started using bio-fuel the contractors were digging the tanks out of the ground.

We now use a much lower percentage of bio-fuel. Got to keep those ISO 9000 points up.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
oh ya.. anyone add cruise? any recommendations?
I have a box over here that has a DANA universal cruise control unit in it. I know nothing about it other than it does have the instruction book. It had been previousely installed on a vehicle but I dont know what brand or anything about the CCs history. it was in with several tools I had bought from an old timer.
I`ll get some pics of it tomorrow if You are innerested in it. Alls I ask in return is postage to get it to You.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a great truck. I like the fact it's a Custom Deluxe without alot of options too. I wish my 4x4's were non power windows and locks and rubber floor mat instead of carpet. With no power in the doors, if I want to take the doors off there's no wires to deal with so they can come off for Summer, and back on for Winter. Hopefully being a Diesel it's geared with 3.73's cuz them 6.2's do not like RPM. The truck is certainly worthy and even moreso being Smog Exempt in Cali. You'll save a fortune there. The real nice thing is, being designated Diesel by the VIN, the Cali DMV system kicks it out of needing smog to be tagged and registered so in the event you decide to biggo smoggy Fo Fitty Fo with a biggo smoggy cam and headers you can do so and have No Fux to give. Hopefully you end up with it.

BTW, I like that patina too. I'd wet sand it, and spray it with clear and call it good.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The linings in the Ford tanks failed no matter what kind of fuel you used. You know, because Ford.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The linings in the Ford tanks failed no matter what kind of fuel you used. You know, because Ford.

I thank the Lord every day for Fords. Job security for me. Ford blamed the bio-fuel, you may be right though. I still would not run bio-fuel in an old truck that I just bought, unless you want to upgrade the fuel system and replace fuel filters all the time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a box over here that has a DANA universal cruise control unit in it. I know nothing about it other than it does have the instruction book. It had been previousely installed on a vehicle but I dont know what brand or anything about the CCs history. it was in with several tools I had bought from an old timer.
I`ll get some pics of it tomorrow if You are innerested in it. Alls I ask in return is postage to get it to You.
Make sure it's diesel compatible. Maybe it's just newer computer vehicles, but I've heard Cruise Control for diesels is totally different for diesel vehicles than gasoline. Maybe just proprietary for Fords. We had to get specific cruise control for the Ford 6.0 Diesel shuttles. Sad part was, we didn't even need cruise control. We just had to have it for high idle to operate the AC systems and boost the electrical system while ideling and turn the fans faster to keep the engines cooler while idling waiting on passengers at the airport. I hate that high idle ****.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, this CC system looks to be ancient. It has two magnets that's suppose to hook to the drive shaft. I took a peek at it and see one of the maggots, I mean magnets is missing. I dont know if just any magnet would work.
Unit is probably not worth the freight to get it mailed.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A rough pic of the old unit. The one magnet for the drive shaft is there and is not that big of a maget.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128