Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highsierra84

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Scored an 1986 J code 6.2 Detroit Diesel no ac Engine for the future power plant for my 1984 gmc k25. New Donor power plant has 180k mileage so not that to bad. My plan for the swap was to tear down to the block, inspect the heads, slap it back together with new gaskets/seals. Most likely get the Injection pump rebuild and clean/replace injectors. New acdelco 60 glow plugs with a manual glow plug switch.
Should be a straight forward swap. I've heard that the 6.2 and 350 sbc have the same motor mount placement. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a sm465 w/ np241 which should bolt up. I'll have to make sure to grab a diesel flywheel, the donor 6.2 had a th400 behind it.
If anyone has experience upgrading a vacuum brake booster to hydroboost booster, please chime in. I'll need to source a new hydroboost booster. I have the lines but couldn't get the hydrobooster when I pulled the donor. I assume I'll have to fabricate something for the hydroboost to fit, but besides that, hooking up all the lines with a new master cylinder. Should good to go.
Luckily enough the wiring harness bolted off the fuse block at the firewall. Didn't have to cut anything. I'm not entirely confident, but can I plug the 6.2 wiring harness right where the 350sbc harness plugs in the firewall? or do I have to do some splicing into the original harness? My goal is to make it as factory as possible to help me and for dmv referee inspection.
Sourcing a good radiator is tough for the 6.2. If I can't get a good deal on a Radiator, I'm better off grabbing a 4 row aluminum for a 454 and add a heavy duty oil cooler to the front.
If anyone has advice with tips on swapping a diesel engine into a gas truck. Please chime in. I'm not a big diesel fan, but soon will be after this swap.
Come winter time this year, I should be all dial, and ready to swap her in.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Napa carries the hydro booster. I just replaced the one in my truck. Here's a picture of the hydro-boost firewall. There are 2 more studs at the top under the wire loom. The pedal pivot point is different on the hydro boost where the M/C shaft connects. There are other posts about this.

The correct shaft on the hydro boost is 71217.

You must be registered for see images attach

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

I’m doing the same thing as you , fortunately mine came with hydroboost all ready installed. Just ordered a radiator today and need to figure out oil cooler lines and shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Get a fluid dampener for the front of the crankshaft. That will help avoid busting a crank shaft.

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I found an awesome welded aluminum radiator on eBay that is a direct fit for 6.2 trucks. Around 170 bucks too. I was skeptical at first but so far very pleased with it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave