Messed up somewhere installing new distributor cap/rotor and cables. Need some guidance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
‘83 Chevy C20 with 350. So yesterday I did the swap out mentioned in the title. I did not set up the cables to distributor cap in the same way it was already set up, because I noticed it was set up in some weird order. I set it up based on the photo in this post taken from my Haynes manual. With the #1 plug wire where it’s shown in the photo, which is marked to be #1. From what I understand, as long as the distributor cap is set up with #1 in the correct spot it should work fine, but the truck won’t start. Is that incorrect? I’m really stumped and not sure where I should start troubleshooting when I get home from work today. Can anyone shed some light on this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
‘83 Chevy C20 with 350. So yesterday I did the swap out mentioned in the title. I did not set up the cables to distributor cap in the same way it was already set up, because I noticed it was set up in some weird order. I set it up based on the photo in this post taken from my Haynes manual. With the #1 plug wire where it’s shown in the photo, which is marked to be #1. From what I understand, as long as the distributor cap is set up with #1 in the correct spot it should work fine, but the truck won’t start. Is that incorrect? I’m really stumped and not sure where I should start troubleshooting when I get home from work today. Can anyone shed some light on this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Should set it back the way they were removed. From the factory and most people would set them the way the book shows. However, they do not have to be set that way. Therefore by moving the plug wires around your throwing your timing off.

When building an engine you should find TDC on your compression stroke, then place your distributor in with the rotor facing cylinder #1's physical location like shown here. However, it does not always work out this way (oil pump drive shaft gives troubles) and it gets placed somewhere else. The point the rotor points to at this point then becomes number 1 and add the firing order the rest of the way around.

I just ended up going through this whole ordeal, It can get pretty mind numbing.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So theoretically couldn’t I change my #1 location on the cap all the way around until I find where it was? I wasn’t smart enough to mark that before.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So theoretically couldn’t I change my #1 location on the cap all the way around until I find where it was? I wasn’t smart enough to mark that before.

You can, But you will want to bring #1 up to TDC on the compression stroke. Pull the dizzy cap see where the rotor is pointing and you can use that point as your #1 then put the wires on in the firing order (18436572)

This is the link I followed and it worked for us. But this was for a new setup. so it can be a little different then your situation.
http://automotivethinker.com/engines/setting-initial-timing-on-a-small-block-chevy-sbc/

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you loosen your plugs it’ll be easier to rotate your engine by the crank bolt. Then, just as Dutch said, find tdc of #1 on compression stroke. You’ll know it the comp stroke by placing your thumb over the hole as it approaches tdc, it’ll blow air.

Your post title is slightly ambiguous. Did you replace distributor, cap/rotor and wires or...distributor cap/rotor and wires?

If you didn’t replace the distributor itself, you won’t need to find exact tdc on compression stroke. Just wait for the air to stop blowing and the rotor will be closest to the number one tower. If you DID replace the distributor, you’ll want to be more exact in finding your true #1 tdc, so you can accurately re-time the engine.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did not replace the distributor, just the distributor cap and rotor and wires.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Most likely someone in the past did have the distributor out and plopped it back either 180° out or a tooth or so out if they tried to line up distributor to wherever oil pump shaft landed at instead of moving oil pump shaft to match where distributor should be. Once that happens, the wires will not be in factory order on the cap. You don't have to pull distributor and reset it correctly, just do as Dutch suggested. I like to put mine back to stock just because most wire sets nowadays end up with one or two wires stretched across trying to reach a plug because of the now incorrect position on the cap.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So let me just make sure I understand. All I need to do is use the finger method to find my compression stroke on #1, get it as close to TDC as I can (which should be close enough?), note rotor location at my TDC, start cap wire for #1 at that location and go with my normal firing order from there.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Yes. Shouldn't have to move timing if it was okay before you changed wiring.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes. Shouldn't have to move timing if it was okay before you changed wiring.

Exactly right. Sorry, if I wasn't too clear. Its been some hard long days lately and I'm either over caffeinated or way under caffeinated, haven't quite decided yet :Caffeine:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus