Manual locking hubs disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine was just like yours and it was a super tight bigger to get out. I also went back and forth thinking something was wrong and trying to figure it out. Bottom line is, you need to put some screws back into #8 and grab those two hook pawls on #9 and give it some hell. Spray some PB blaster or similar in there and wire brush the hub area to help clear some room, but it really just needs to be pried out. There’s nothing else holding it in once you take the snap ring out, but it is a tight fit when clean and an interference fit when dirty/rusty.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Okay so I eventually gave up and loved onto the other side just to see if it was different or of there was something I was missing. Anyway, you could almost say this side fell apart. Everything came off with little to no effort. Was packed full of grease. Took the cap off, outer snap ring, inner snap ring, splines and the couple of nuts and the rotor and bearing came right off, never took ten minutes.

The other side don't seem to have the inner snap ring from the beginning some I'm wondering now if it is actually all trying to come out as one piece.

But the bearing and everything looks good on this side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Glad to see you finally got it out. They can be a real PIA at times.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Looks like you got lucky and did not get the sliding tooth style like I did .

Takes an octopus to put it back together ...

Amazing the design of it, though - really simple.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Missing axle clip shouldn't affect #8 and 9 coming off, but if it ate the small clip and is hangin up the other pieces #11, those might be a bear to get off the axle shaft stub.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looks like you got lucky and did not get the sliding tooth style like I did .

Takes an octopus to put it back together ...

Amazing the design of it, though - really simple.
Which part makes that hard again?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Which part makes that hard again?

Oh, mine has the sliding teeth. So, instead of being able to hold the one gear with the other, you are fighting against spring pressure to get both in place and then the snap ring.

I think @highdesertrange had some tips, but I have not been real motivated to fight that battle again although lubing the bearings (again)would probably not be a bad PM.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh, mine has the sliding teeth. So, instead of being able to hold the one gear with the other, you are fighting against spring pressure to get both in place and then the snap ring.

I think @highdesertrange had some tips, but I have not been real motivated to fight that battle again although lubing the bearings (again)would probably not be a bad PM.
Oh yeah, thats why i thought I hated myself everytime i was in there... I have that. On 2 axles

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
Maybe try jacking up the wheel and take some of the pressure of the weight of the truck off the drive line. This may help loosen things up so you can pull that sucker out.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^This could help if the bearings are loose or shelled out. Otherwise it shouldn’t move at all.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Okay guys, a little off topic, but if opened a diff and the gears were rusted. How much rust would u call to much rust?

I just opened the 14 bolt rear I had laying around that I intended to use and it's quiet rusted but appears to be only surface rust. The gears look to be good shape otherwise. Any help or opinions or point me in right direction be greatly appreciated, thanks.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Okay guys, a little off topic, but if opened a diff and the gears were rusted. How much rust would u call to much rust?

I just opened the 14 bolt rear I had laying around that I intended to use and it's quiet rusted but appears to be only surface rust. The gears look to be good shape otherwise. Any help or opinions or point me in right direction be greatly appreciated, thanks.

if you ran that i would definitely put a magnet on the cover and run a few fluid changes often for a while

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
if you ran that i would definitely put a magnet on the cover and run a few fluid changes often for a while

Coming from where we come from rust is every where and options and parts are limited cause everything has just been eaten by it. So I imagine that's what I'll end up doing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would definitely clean as much as you can up for sure. and if you run it, check the end bearings at the end of the tubes too. the rust would eat those things for breakfast. I think there could be the option of submerging, maybe a tube at a time, in a mixture that would eat rust and you could blow it out and put oil to it to keep it from rusting. i have 14 bolts laying around, too. quite the fun thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast