Manual Hub Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I hope you have the face type as the sliding tooth needs the assistance of Doc Ock to reassemble...

Maybe the 3rd time is easier- not real enthused about the idea, though.
Hell I know that.. im a smaller-than-most-enthusiasts girl and there were harsh words spoken.

pro tip everyone, dont do this:
You must be registered for see images attach

4wd doesnt work and end result is doing the job again, because that was from a broken thingy the cap screws into

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hell I know that.. im a smaller-than-most-enthusiasts girl and there were harsh words spoken.

4wd doesnt work and end result is doing the job again, because that was from a broken thingy the cap screws into

In case there was any confusion, wat I meant was having 8 hands would have been a tremendous benefit in this endeavor.

@highdesertrange , IIRC, had some tricks that I will have to dig up when my time in the barrel comes again.

Auto locking hubs may have their issues, but OMG are they so much easier to get out so you can pack the bearing.

Britt

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
In case there was any confusion, wat I meant was having 8 hands would have been a tremendous benefit in this endeavor.

@highdesertrange , IIRC, had some tricks that I will have to dig up when my time in the barrel comes again.

Auto locking hubs may have their issues, but OMG are they so much easier to get out so you can pack the bearing.

Britt
Oh, I know. Doc oc had the metal arms that were very precise and who wouldnt kill to have "just one more" hand when it comes to working and wrenching. Hell, even a simple controllable apendage to hold a flashlight... also im sure vbb can find plenty in what i just said to laugh about haha. im saying, consider your diffciulty with normal hands and muscles, now scale em down which is helpful periodically, but in this instance just works to make it hell

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size

I'm doing my best not to do this a second time. Trying to find the instructions on how to preload the bearing as we speak. Seems like torquing to 50 lbft and backing off the nut up to 90 degrees seems very imprecise. My land cruiser has a spec to check bearing drag where you put a fish scale on the lug nuts and want to be able to put 10 lbs on it before the wheel starts to move. Is there nothing more specific than when the drag "feels right".

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I'm doing my best not to do this a second time. Trying to find the instructions on how to preload the bearing as we speak. Seems like torquing to 50 lbft and backing off the nut up to 90 degrees seems very imprecise. My land cruiser has a spec to check bearing drag where you put a fish scale on the lug nuts and want to be able to put 10 lbs on it before the wheel starts to move. Is there nothing more specific than when the drag "feels right".

The 50 pound feet sets the preload. Back off ONLY enough to install the locking mechanism. Heck if you want to, place the fish scale on the lug nut and verify! We put many of these kits on back in the day

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Oh, ok. Back off just enough to get the peg on the washer to line up?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You need the stuff for Spicer hubs, they are different than Warn. I don't remember if parts are available anymore. @nvrenuf may know?

@bucket is right Spicer and Warn parts do not interchange. Spicers haven’t been produced in 20+ years so any parts will be used or NOS stuff on eBay, etc.

The o-rings can be bought from other manufacturers but most will want to sell them by dimensions rather than applications.

All of the small internal design Spicers I’ve seen were sliding tooth. 3/4 ton D44 Spicers are the only face tooth I’ve seen. I reserve the right to be wrong on this, most of my experience is with 3/4 ton D44 and D60 Spicer hubs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

uh.. whats that for? I may have.. skipped this step i never new had to be done

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, looks like OE Spicer to me. Used in 1980 models. Ford used them too but were a different color.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
uh.. whats that for? I may have.. skipped this step i never new had to be done

Which step are you asking about? Torque it to 50 lb ft to settle the bearing in place. Back off on the spindle nut enough to make the peg on the nut line up with a hole on the washer. Torque exterior spindle nut against the washer.

The fish scale technique is called out in my factory service manual for my Toyota. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i mean whats this about torquing and backing off

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Which step are you asking about? Torque it to 50 lb ft to settle the bearing in place. Back off on the spindle nut enough to make the peg on the nut line up with a hole on the washer. Torque exterior spindle nut against the washer.

The fish scale technique is called out in my factory service manual for my Toyota. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I remember that for my '94 Land Cruiser when I did the front axle reseal, but I thought that was for the trunnion bearings.

Been a while, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin