MACHINING 16.5" DOWN TO 16"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
The angle of the bead lip is what the old tire guy told me. Though if I recall the diameter of the wheels are the same. The tires were givin the .5 so to know they had the odd ball bead, 16.5, 22.5,
This is true. 16s and 16.5s are the same outside widths, but the inside lip is thicker/wider.

Found that out the hard way. I accidentally put a 16 tire on a 16.5 rim once.... once...

I fought and fought to get it on, then i pumped it up to 90psi bounced it and hit it, trying to get it to seat. Even dropped it from the upstairs loft at work. Got the back side of the bead to mount, couldnt get the front to go. Finally gave up on it. That tire and rim are forever 1 now though. Even had a tire shop try to get it off, no luck.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
One of the job shops I worked had a lathe set up for wheels. Guys would bring in those old magnesium wheels, all pocked and pitted. They would sand blast the kidney or slot area, paint it, bring it to us. Four jaw chuck with aluminum soft jaws, mount in chuck, dial od, and runout to as close to zero as the wheel would allow. Used a 1" HSS (high speed steel,) tool stick out about 4" at usually a 45 degree angle. Just an eyeball thing so as you were cutting the wheel, only the tip would cut, and the shank would not hit, for example the tire bead area on it's way out in the cut....Anyway.. grind lots of clearance on the cutting edge side, W/1/8" radius which was necessary for the fillets, and to leave a smooth finish. Lathe speed around 45 rpm. Starting in the center and work out, for better finishes. touch the face. From there go in .010. Using the good old fashioned "two handed it" way on the Y and Z axis, an acquired skill, until you had faced the whole wheel contour. They looked better than new, very smooth finish.
I have a sweet set of 16.5 X10" aluminum wheels, if I could machine them down, I sure would.....but believe me, for those wheels, hang em' in the shop and toast them on occasion.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Wheels used on highways have to be DOT approved. Anytime you modify a DOT wheel it loses it's approval.
Someone hits me with unapproved wheels I'll sue his rear off for operating unsafe vehicle.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Not worth the squeeze. Or the lawsuit.

I have a set of steel 16.5 destined for scrap unless someone wants to get them for free.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Not worth the squeeze. Or the lawsuit.

I have a set of steel 16.5 destined for scrap unless someone wants to get them for free.
Have someone make a sword them.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wheels used on highways have to be DOT approved. Anytime you modify a DOT wheel it loses it's approval.
Someone hits me with unapproved wheels I'll sue his rear off for operating unsafe vehicle.
Similar issue with 5th wheels. I really want a small toy hauler which is hard to find and salesman kept showing me 3 axle stuff. I mentioned my truck was a '90 and the truck is rated for up to 13k. A lot of the toy haulers are way over that when loaded and he has heard of insurance not paying out claims on trailers that were overweight.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
This is interesting, because I have a set of 8 lug aluminum slot mags that are 16.5 x 10(or something like that, they're not where I can look at them easily in the near future). I've been told that 16.5 tires are expensive and not very many companies make/sell them. Dad bought them 25 years ago when the 16.5 was the go to tire for 3/4 and one ton trucks.
Sounds like I find someone who really wants old school looks and doesn't mind spendy tires, or I find something to do with them in my building. Don't wanna scrap them if I don't have to....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is interesting, because I have a set of 8 lug aluminum slot mags that are 16.5 x 10(or something like that, they're not where I can look at them easily in the near future). I've been told that 16.5 tires are expensive and not very many companies make/sell them. Dad bought them 25 years ago when the 16.5 was the go to tire for 3/4 and one ton trucks.
Sounds like I find someone who really wants old school looks and doesn't mind spendy tires, or I find something to do with them in my building. Don't wanna scrap them if I don't have to....

Yeah, definitely don't scrap them.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah, definitely don't scrap them.
I need to get pictures of them, and better descriptions. My building is bit of a mess at the moment; no lights and hot weather aren't conducive to organizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35