Low hanging fruit to improve performance - request for input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Heller

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lots of good ideas for the OP.

Reliability & power? First things first: get what you got in good running order.

I suggest all the tuneup/general maintenance before paying money for performance parts. This will get you into your truck and force you to become familiar with it. Buy good quality bits, not the cheapest/cheesiest. It can make a difference.
- Plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, rotor cap
- Fuel & air filters
- Vacuum hoses if not replaced recently
- Coolant hoses & new coolant if hoses or coolant look aged
- Crank case oil change & filter, auto trans fluid/manual gearbox oil, rear end
- Grease all the fittings
- Bleed brakes / replace fluid
- Check brakes while your at it: pads/shoes, rotors
- PS fluid
- Replace accessory belts
- Adjust carb & timing, maybe pull it and clean it up. Maybe rebuild.
- Emissions doo-dads: EGR, etc. Make sure operating & not plugged if not deleted

Somebody mentioned the fuel line near the tank. That is a gem I never tucked into. Will keep that in mind.

Some of the guys I worked for had some real heaps as work trucks. Best bang/buck performance wise was to be had with these gen maint issues. Of those, plugs, wires, dist, rotor generally had a near-instant response.

Looking to get into a squarebody again. I have some experience from back when I did labor and other jobs requiring work trucks, many of which were C/K.

It sounds like I misspoke when I used the word performance. I truly meant reliability. I'm not using for towing/hauling or anything a truck should be used for... I have a 2017 F-150 for that. I consider it to be in it's golden years, just for pleasure.
The truck was used exclusively as a farm truck in east Texas, hence the low miles. My grandfather was a mechanical engineer so he took care of his things. It was always garage kept.
It was also the first vehicle I ever drove (and wrecked; Side-swiped the garage when I was 13)

So, as you said, just want to get it in good running order.
I have already replaced all filters, changed fluids, greased fittings, replaced brakes pads/rotors and given it an overall inspection. And it really does run great. Just want to ensure it keeps running, and smoothly!

Based on all the feedback so far, a few things to start with would be new distributor/cap/rotor/plugs/wires, headers, exhaust. It does have a battery hold down, not shown in the photo.
Also give it a wash/polish/wax!

Again, thank you all! I'm enjoying the community.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
It sounds like you have a plan in mind. I skipped the headers because my truck rides so rough that I was afraid I would always be tightening them down to get rid of leaks, but I did go for dual exhaust. Another simple upgrade is a better intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer or Edelbrock RPM are common upgrades) and some careful tuning of your carburetor.

After that the next change most folks make is a more aggressive cam, but make sure you understand things a little better before you make a purchase. Don't be confused by advertised duration, since you should compare cams using duration measured at .050 lift. A typical stock cam would be about 192/202 (intake/exhaust) @.050 lift, while what we might call an RV cam is probably about 204/214 @ .050.
Note: Most cams for stock SBC engines are going to have a higher exhaust than intake duration because the stock heads don't flow well, but performance engines may have both durations equal.

The reason you don't want to go much higher duration than about 214 is that with stock heads and stock compression (about 8.2-8.5) you won't really get much more usable performance, and the engine will probably run much rougher. A high duration cam might sound mean at idle and while cruising around the parking lot, but the performance gain won't really be there. This is the point where you have to look at replacing the heads with Vortec SBC iron heads or one of the many performance aluminum heads. The upgraded heads have a smaller combustion chamber that usually increases compression by about 1 point, and they flow incredibly better than the stock smog-era heads. Most also have valve train upgrades that handle high rpm much better.

The higher performance heads allow you to choose a much more aggressive cam and get more horsepower. Even if you stick with a duration that is only about 218-220 @ .050 the improved heads can get you into the 350 HP range and still have the strong low RPM torque you need in a heavy truck. If you are willing to give up some low RPM power you can probably use up to about 230 @ .050 duration and still have a broad torque curve. Using better cylinder heads makes a world of difference on a smog-era SBC.

If you decide you have even more money to spend, the next step up is a 383 stroker kit for your 350. However, that's going to be complete with crankshaft, pistons, rods and many other parts needed to make it work right.

Bruce

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Thank you, 82sbshortbed. I'm actually from Longview, Tx, living in NC now. The truck came to me from Longview. Lots of family still around TX.

Where at in NC?

I'm in Salisbury :)

Jeff Heller

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Where at in NC?

I'm in Salisbury :)

Charlotte. So right down the road from you. The truck stays at my sisters house in Hickory as she has room for it so I head up there every few weekends.

I’m looking for a classic car/truck meet up around Hickory if you know of any?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Charlotte. So right down the road from you. The truck stays at my sisters house in Hickory as she has room for it so I head up there every few weekends.

I’m looking for a classic car/truck meet up around Hickory if you know of any?

No sir. I sure don't... But my friend @bigcountry78 in Hickory might know of one

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
No sir. I sure don't... But my friend @bigcountry78 in Hickory might know of one
There are, or were, local car shows every first and third Saturday of the month during the spring/summer. Of course COVID has killed it this year. But check in Valdese and Hildebran areas.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas.

You must be registered for see images attach

Do a full tune-up as everyone has suggested. Find a source of ethanol free gas. Put some nice road tires on it. Drive it and enjoy!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
It sounds like I misspoke when I used the word performance. I truly meant reliability. I'm not using for towing/hauling or anything a truck should be used for... I have a 2017 F-150 for that. I consider it to be in it's golden years, just for pleasure.
The truck was used exclusively as a farm truck in east Texas, hence the low miles. My grandfather was a mechanical engineer so he took care of his things. It was always garage kept.
It was also the first vehicle I ever drove (and wrecked; Side-swiped the garage when I was 13)

So, as you said, just want to get it in good running order.
I have already replaced all filters, changed fluids, greased fittings, replaced brakes pads/rotors and given it an overall inspection. And it really does run great. Just want to ensure it keeps running, and smoothly!

Based on all the feedback so far, a few things to start with would be new distributor/cap/rotor/plugs/wires, headers, exhaust. It does have a battery hold down, not shown in the photo.
Also give it a wash/polish/wax!

Again, thank you all! I'm enjoying the community.
My condolences on the ferd.

What I see is a really nice original truck. I would do nothing to but some filter changes and update some consumables. Sounds like it is not molested and working good as it sits. The more things get messed with the less reliable they seem to become. ;)

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
What I see is a really nice original truck. I would do nothing to but some filter changes and update some consumables. Sounds like it is not molested and working good as it sits. The more things get messed with the less reliable they seem to become. ;)
Sage advice. I would add to that; use only OEM parts, which you can usually get on www.rockauto.com

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you want a quick and simple wake up, then adjust your ignition timing. Factory setting is about 4 degrees BTDC, but you can usually go as high as 12-16 degrees without major issues. Then buy or borrow a dial back timing light and check the timing curve. You want another 18-20 degrees of timing from mechanical, preferably by about 2500 RPM. Do not exceed 36 degrees total.

Make all these checks with the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged. Then reconnect the line and verify you get 18-20 degrees from vacuum advance. This is for cruise economy, not performance.

Bruce

Good advice, but adding anything more than 12-14 degrees vacuum advance to 36 degrees "total" advance may cause pre-ignition when lightly rolling on throttle at cruising speeds. That's because these engines were set up to run very low (even negative) initial advance, so the factory tried to get some cruising speed fuel mileage back by adding 20 to even 30 (!) degrees of vacuum advance. The fix for pre-ignition is NOT backing off initial or total advance, but to limit the amount of travel by the vacuum canister pin to around .100"-.120". I could try to explain it here, but there's lots of information already available. Just google "limit GM HEI vacuum advance". There are kits to do this, but it's easy to make your own limiting plate.

Actually, after increasing initial + mechanical advance to 36 degrees, keep that vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, and then drive around at various speeds and loads with engine up to operating temp. If all is OK, reconnect the vacuum line to the canister. If only then do you hear pinging under light loads, you know that the limiting plate is required. Whew!

As mentioned above, cap, rotor and plug wires are things to check, or even replace as preventive maintenance. Also, a free-flowing exhaust system is one of the best ways to increase power and fuel mileage. With an otherwise stock engine, your exhaust manifolds are just fine. Full dual exhaust using at least 2-1/4" tubing and low-restriction mufflers will help a lot. Whatever mufflers you choose, they should not be "necked down" internally, for example from 2-1/4" to -1-7/8" or less. (!) This is called "restriction" which is the easiest way for muffler manufacturers to reduce noise levels. So even if you stick with stock single exhaust, look for a low restriction muffler and make sure the cat converter (if you have one) is in good condition.

Don't worry about carb and cam until you get all these things sorted out. In fact, with stock heads and tall axle ratio such as 2.56 or 2.73, a cam alone may hurt more than help.

Finally, make sure the vacuum hoses are not cracked and that they fit on the nipples snugly. Also ensure that all emission systems are working properly.

***Edit: Is this a 305? If so, what I said above about a performance cam hurting more than helping goes doubly! Many years ago I had a used 81 C10 with a 305, TH350C trans, and 2.56 axle. That was the standard ratio back then for a C10 with a 305. On a good day, that thing was a dog. A previous owner had installed a switch to enable the lock-up converter, but I rarely used it, even on the highway. Adding any more camshaft duration would have made that truck almost useless, unless I drove it around in 2nd gear most of the time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ