Look how easy it is to build a aluminum dual fan shroud. Never buy 1 again $$$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Man! I guess I've been lucky. The one on Crusty Biscuit has been on it since 2015, and has seen at least 15,000 miles. Before that it was on Mean Green, and that was from '91 to '05, and well over 100,000 miles. And most of those miles were turning 3,000 rpms. Now I want to remove it and put the heavy stock fan back on.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
OldBlue, Yea, its crazy. I will never ever trust one or stand next:mad3::mad3: to a running fan

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I just bought a 7 blade gm fan with clutch. It is a pain in the ass finding the correct studs to mount it to the pump. For some reason the fine threads are too long, or too short, or the coarse threads are too long, or too short. Hoping the Dorman 23733 will be correct.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Nasty-LSX Did the holidays get in the way of Part 2?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I got my truck it had a chrome flex fan on it. I could hear it roaring when I was towing and it was high rom going slowly. I could just hear a few of my much needed 175 HP being sucked away with that thing. But I didn't need it spinning like crazy while I was driving 60mph and when I was going slowly I wanted a fan clutched up and not have to be turning crazy rpms to get it moving. I bought a fan from pull a part a few years back for about $12-15 or so and bought a brand new clutch.

Sold the flex on eBay, made a few bucks back, but had I known they were killers I might of trashed it.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Man! I guess I've been lucky. The one on Crusty Biscuit has been on it since 2015, and has seen at least 15,000 miles. Before that it was on Mean Green, and that was from '91 to '05, and well over 100,000 miles. And most of those miles were turning 3,000 rpms. Now I want to remove it and put the heavy stock fan back on.

Our autotech teacher told the story of a guy getting killed by a flex fan coming apart. And the thing about the heavy stock fan is it isn't constantly locked up, the stock fan unlocked rob's less hp than the flex fan. The guy I bought my ride from was all. Oh you took off that fan, and you've hooked the transmission cooler up wrong now it's picking up heat off the radiator. Yep I took off the flex fan, yep I plumbed the oil cooler back through the radiator to regulate temperature and yep I put 5 and 7 wires back on the correct terminals.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I couldn't find the correct studs to mount the fan clutch to the water pump. After many searches locally and online, success! For those in the same situation, this Dorman Kit is a good place to start. I was about to go with bolts, but knew studs were used for a reason, so I kept looking until I found this kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I couldn't find the correct studs to mount the fan clutch to the water pump. After many searches locally and online, success! For those in the same situation, this Dorman Kit is a good place to start. I was about to go with bolts, but knew studs were used for a reason, so I kept looking until I found this kit.

Damn man your a few days late!! I just resealed my motor and did and water pump and timing cover/chain etc. I wish I knew these things had studs!! It's a bitch getting the holes in the pulley lined up to the pump and then threading bolts in while holding the fan!! It took me useing a mirror to assure the holes were alined and then fighting bolts. I bet I spent as much time on that stupid fan clutch install as I probably spent putting water pump on, brackets back and belts on and installed. I am going to find those studs and when I don't have anything else to do (like never) will install them .

Edit: Just looked on Amazon they are $5.98 and shipped to my house free. I wonder if there cheaper locally? If so I would have to remember to buy them and then drive there. May just order off Amazon.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Damn man your a few days late!! I just resealed my motor and did and water pump and timing cover/chain etc. I wish I knew these things had studs!! It's a bitch getting the holes in the pulley lined up to the pump and then threading bolts in while holding the fan!! It took me useing a mirror to assure the holes were alined and then fighting bolts. I bet I spent as much time on that stupid fan clutch install as I probably spent putting water pump on, brackets back and belts on and installed. I am going to find those studs and when I don't have anything else to do (like never) will install them .

Edit: Just looked on Amazon they are $5.98 and shipped to my house free. I wonder if there cheaper locally? If so I would have to remember to buy them and then drive there. May just order off Amazon.

I paid $5.01 locally. They had to get the kit from a different store. At least your fan clutch is mounted. You can now loosen the bolts, and replace them one by one with the studs. I think that is one advantage of the studs, not having to get the bolts started blindly while holding everything steady.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54