Look how easy it is to build a aluminum dual fan shroud. Never buy 1 again $$$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I bet you did not KNOW you could fit a HUGE 1995 2500 454 suburban radiator in you C10. I DID WITH NO MOD'S. As some of you know in my past thread I put a 1992 trans am front pulley drive on my 1995 K20
and the flex flan unmarried from the water pump. you can do this no mater what radiator you have.

My flex fan Sheared right off the water pump. Big $$$ damage to lots of parts and cut through hood.(pics inside also) I was not going to put a fan on again. Aluminum fan shrouds for dual fans are expensive. I figure I make my own and its so easy. You can even do this with a rivet gun. This is part one. Please like and subscribe to help circulate my videos. THANKS

P.S. Pay attention to the price for material. Its so CHEAP. I will build a electric fan shroud
for all my toys now. Please like and subscribe to help circulate my videos. THANKS

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm going to be using the same radiator in my engine swap. It's from a 97 suburban K2500 with the 454. I'm planning on using a dual electric fan setup from a 2007-up Suburban/Silverado/Tahoe. I have a takeout radiator from our 2011 Suburban and it is the exact same core size, just much thinner. You can get the entire fan and shroud assembly new for $100 or used from a junkyard for $40 or less.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You can get the entire fan and shroud assembly new for $100 or used from a junkyard for $40 or less.
Where?

edit: and what is the total size of the shroud assembly if you don’t mind measuring? The fin area of my radiator is 22x34” and I’d like to find an e-fan setup that covers most of that surface. Summit and RA doesn’t list the dimensions.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool. Flex fans should be illegal. Not only are they ineffecient, they are dangerous. When I was a kid a mechanic my dad used was killed by a departing blade while adjusting the timing.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Cool. Flex fans should be illegal. Not only are they ineffecient, they are dangerous. When I was a kid a mechanic my dad used was killed by a departing blade while adjusting the timing.

Yea, seeing people do this freaks me out now!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Where?

edit: and what is the total size of the shroud assembly if you don’t mind measuring? The fin area of my radiator is 22x34” and I’d like to find an e-fan setup that covers most of that surface. Summit and RA doesn’t list the dimensions.

Same exact size as in the video. If interested let me know.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Where?

Lots of places.. its standard for any truck/suv from about 2007-2014. Heres one of the standard duty ones for ~$130. https://www.carparts.com/details/Ch...xIq_K6LXW9Kf0ZbChOxoColQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The HD one has more blades and flows more air... it is more expensive at ~$170, but is still the same overall size I think. It was the one used for the duramax and 6.0L HD cooling package. https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...0Jq_vTqxgnrszvFx7IhVrH5bbhOUVTSRoCB0EQAvD_BwE

I'm going to call out to the local yard around me and see how much they want for a cooling fan unit if they have one. They had about 10 radiators for them the last time I was there, so they should have the fan assemblies as well.

I'll take a core and overall measurement when I get home. Just from memory, I think the 97 has the same core size as the OEM 1980 4-core OVERALL radiator size. I think that was about 34x21 core size... but again I'll verify.

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
I took my wife and son to the dirt track races one Friday night.

While we were there a guy in the pits was leaning over a factory modified dirt car while the engine was running his flex fan came apart hit him in the throat hitting and cutting the main artery in his neck, sadly he passed away from loss of blood before the Ambulance arrived. It was to say the least a horrible senseless accident.

So everyone if you have one of these fans take it off at the very next possible opportunity and throw it in the trash.

They are dangerous dangerous dangerous and can cost you your life.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I'm interested to hear more about the pre-built assembly and what temp sensor (and location) you guys wind up using. Appears to be a nice (drop-in) way to go, and I like how it looks. I already have the big copper 34" wide 454 radiator installed, and I'm pulling air through it with a big 454 (reverse rotation) fan, via a Hayden HD clutch.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

While we were there a guy in the pits was leaning over a factory modified dirt car while the engine was running his flex fan came apart hit him in the throat hitting and cutting the main artery in his neck, sadly he passed away from loss of blood before the Ambulance arrived. It was to say the least a horrible senseless accident.

So everyone if you have one of these fans take it off at the very next possible opportunity and throw it in the trash.

I only liked because i hate flex fans. Im very sorry for that guy and his family!

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
Ya I hate em too no telling how many people have been injured or worse by them.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

And if it will be going to a recycler, cut off a blade, or two, but not so it would be balanced.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Flex fans are pieces of ****. @Nasty-LSX your dam lucky it only wrecked stuff you can easily replace, as much as it sucks.

Like @BigDaddy72 mentioned, it could have been so much worse.

I wanted a flex fan on my fresh built 350 Olds Rocket that I put into my restored '80 Olds Delta88 two-door....because you know, it was the "cool" thing to do. My dad said "no way in hell will I let you put one of those pieces of **** on this"....so the stock fan went on it and it worked just fine.

Years later I helped a friend that had one on his vehicle, cut my damned hand on it. Screw that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k