long block 350, looking for suppliers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so as it goes nothing goes according to plan right. So my 305 is fouling #7 with oil, and I'm willing to manage that, but I've been getting a bit of missing. I haven't had time to properly diagnose it, but I have a strong suspicion I'm going to discover a valve problem. That will end the 305, I think.

I had a plan for when this happened and that was to get an engine from S&J out of Spokane, Wa. So I called them just to discuss options. Basically I'm fine with a stock 350, but would also do some upgrades if it makes sense. Well the conversation was really short because it's a 14 - 16 week time frame for them to build and ship even a stock unit as they are backed up.

I can get a pair of cylinder heads for the 305 for about $500 but they'd go on my high mileage lower end, and while I don't mind the 305 I'd really be better served with a 350 for my towing and hauling needs. So if it come to me needing a valve job I'd rather replace the engine.

My needs: I'm pretty flexible I'd be find with a stock rebuild, but also might opt for a some mild upgrades like a RV cam or even more if it's cost effective. I am on a budget. I'd like to keep the purchase price of the engine below $2,000, (maybe a bit higher in hopes of swinging a wholesale discount) which is one of the reasons I can't do anything local. The few remaining places in the area that rebuild engines want a lot more. It's just the area I live in is expensive. So if you bought an engine somewhere that ships, or know of a place that might fit me needs please point me in their direction. Again just so I can be prepared at this point. Thanks.

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maabco motors out of Texas, marshalls machine from Skowhegan maine.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok so as it goes nothing goes according to plan right. So my 305 is fouling #7 with oil, and I'm willing to manage that, but I've been getting a bit of missing. I haven't had time to properly diagnose it, but I have a strong suspicion I'm going to discover a valve problem. That will end the 305, I think.

I had a plan for when this happened and that was to get an engine from S&J out of Spokane, Wa. So I called them just to discuss options. Basically I'm fine with a stock 350, but would also do some upgrades if it makes sense. Well the conversation was really short because it's a 14 - 16 time frame for them to build and ship even a stock unit as they are backed up.

I can get a pair of cylinder heads for the 305 for about $500 but they'd go on my high mileage lower end, and while I don't mind the 305 I'd really be better served with a 350 for my towing and hauling needs. So if it come to me needing a valve job I'd rather replace the engine.

My needs: I'm pretty flexible I'd be find with a stock rebuild, but also might opt for a some mild upgrades like a RV cam or even more if it's cost effective. I am on a budget. I'd like to keep the purchase price of the engine below $2,000, which is one of the reasons I can't do anything local. The few remaining places in the area that rebuild engines want a lot more. It's just the area I live in is expensive. So if you bought an engine somewhere that ships, or know of a place that might fit me needs please point me in their direction. Again just so I can be prepared at this point. Thanks.
Well... you are not going to find anything done right for that price. I got my motor for free. Paid $560 for machine work including bore/hone, cleaning, magnaflux, took .020" off the deck, and new plugs/cam bearings throughout. Another $1000 for all the rebuild parts like pistons, gaskets, water pump, oil pump, bearings, cam, lifters, pushrods, etc... another $200 for a budget set of rebuilt 882 heads from a local guy and I'm right at the $2000 for a decent budget truck 350. You aren't going to find anyone willing to put decent quality parts and do an assembly for anywhere near that cheap. The only ones I've seen in that price range are the parts store long blocks that look like they've been assembled by poorly trained monkeys with hammers and no common sense.

The other option is to get a decent runner from someone... maybe with valve/head issues for a few hundred buck, then do just a top end rebuild and clean it up for your $2k budget.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well... you are not going to find anything done right for that price. I got my motor for free. Paid $560 for machine work including bore/hone, cleaning, magnaflux, took .020" off the deck, and new plugs/cam bearings throughout. Another $1000 for all the rebuild parts like pistons, gaskets, water pump, oil pump, bearings, cam, lifters, pushrods, etc... another $200 for a budget set of rebuilt 882 heads from a local guy and I'm right at the $2000 for a decent budget truck 350. You aren't going to find anyone willing to put decent quality parts and do an assembly for anywhere near that cheap. The only ones I've seen in that price range are the parts store long blocks that look like they've been assembled by poorly trained monkeys with hammers and no common sense.

The other option is to get a decent runner from someone... maybe with valve/head issues for a few hundred buck, then do just a top end rebuild and clean it up for your $2k budget.
Thanks, one thing I have going for me on price is the shop as some places will give a wholesale discount as was the case with S&J, which was the only reason they came in under $2K. I have experience and trust in their work as well.

I would not do a parts store long block, I've seen those disasters all to many times. I'd put heads on the 305 first, but it may not come to that just yet.

So the good news in all this is that I did something this afternoon after work which might keep the 305 alive a little longer. It might be the case where I order the 350 from S&J and time is no longer a concern IDK, it's really to soon for me to be able to tell for sure, so I'm kind of hedging my bet at this point. Later tonight I will do a longer post in my spark plug thread (to keep this one mostly on topic) and I'll tag you there to make sure you see it.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks, one thing I have going for me on price is the shop as some places will give a wholesale discount as was the case with S&J, which was the only reason they came in under $2K. I have experience and trust in their work as well.

I would not do a parts store long block, I've seen those disasters all to many times. I'd put heads on the 305 first, but it may not come to that just yet.

So the good news in all this is that I did something this afternoon after work which might keep the 305 alive a little longer. It might be the case where I order the 350 from S&J and time is no longer a concern IDK, it's really to soon for me to be able to tell for sure, so I'm kind of hedging my bet at this point. Later tonight I will do a longer post in my spark plug thread (to keep this one mostly on topic) and I'll tag you there to make sure you see it.
Have you considered a GM crate engine? I think stock replacement is under 2K?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have you considered a GM crate engine? I think stock replacement is under 2K?
They have been discontinued. Can get a Vortec no early 350's. I needed one last fall. NOS went from $1800 to 3200+ overnight.

At that time some rebuild parts were hard to get. Found a local shop that had enough inventory to rebuild an engine. It does run fine and balancing was included.

Try Cassell Engines Spokane, WA

Edit, am not affiliated with Cassell

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
They have been discontinued. Can get a Vortec no early 350's. I needed one last fall. NOS went from $1800 to 3200+ overnight.

At that time some rebuild parts were hard to get. Found a local shop that had enough inventory to rebuild an engine. It does run fine and balancing was included.

Try Cassell Engines Spokane, WA

Edit, am not affiliated with Cassell
Thank you I remember you mentioning them to me now.

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks do you have personal experience with either of these? I do not but I've heard of Maabco however not for good reasons.

The dude I bought my square from pretty exclusively uses Marshall's whenever he needs a motor, and he couldn't of reccomended them more. Same thing with my buddys boss, he's bought multiple motors from Marshall's and has always been happy with them.

No experience with maabco.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to put a penny in the 305. Now's the time to bail and never look back. Been there-done that.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to put a penny in the 305. Now's the time to bail and never look back. Been there-done that.
I agree. My thought so far has been to run the 305 until it's done and then put some flavor of 350 into it. With my rule basically being I keep it up, but won't do any internal work on the 305. The only reason I briefly considered doing heads on the 305 is because of lack of availability of 350 in a timely fashion and needing the truck.

I know you have been in my spark plug thread : https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/spark-plugs-over-thinking.35774/page-4 I posted an update there last night, but the quick summary is I changed back to regular conventional engine oil and replaced the full set of plugs after work and at least right now it is running better. If I can keep it together though the summer and fall I'll order the engine from S&J next fall that I have been wanting and install it during the winter when I don't need the truck as much for the farm. In the mean time maybe I can find time to slip a rear end in it. So I'm hoping the urgency is gone.

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Mabbco Motors. I bought a 350 Long Block from them in 2020. It’s been great. They will build any thing you want as far as upgrades. Mine is mostly stock with ARP Main Bolts, High Volume Oil Pump, Molly Rings and a couple miscellaneous upgrades. They are great to work with and you don’t need to send your 305 back to them. Everything bolted on and worked perfect except my old oil pan. Don’t do what I did, tried to use my old oil pan. It leaked a lot and was a pain to change after the engine was in the truck. Buy a new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii