locked in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
got locked inside the truck today could not get out.. something locked the doors BOTH of them.. it has electric locks... went out for breakfast got in the truck drove to wally world and the dang thing would not let me out,. so i drove home and still was locked in.. im like how the hell do i get out i dont crawl out of windows no more....finally after messing with the lock button switch the passenger door opened up but not the drivers side... im like WTF.....so i climbed out the passenger side and went to drivers door even the key would not turn.... after fiddling around with the dam thing i tried to open the door with the handle and fiddled with the switch and it friggin unlocked.... I still dont know what happened. I figgered that something broke off and lodged in the lock mechanism but when i removed the door panel all was good in there..... so now my question is why did this happen ?????? Any body have this problem with electric door locks.....

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
You couldn't get out using the manual lock knobs?
nope they were locked.. it seemed like there was power going to the lock holding them in the locked position...
It must have had an electrical gremlin of some sort.....
Its funny that the passenger door finally opened when flipping the switch up an down and the drivers door did not.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have no idea, but the power windows mysteriously quit working on the 86 following a heater core replacement. Figured I knocked the wire loose from the fuse box or something when putting the heater duct back in.
Nope everything was fine and the wiring’s pretty clean on this truck.
Headed out to do some dedicated diagnosis a couple weeks later and they worked. Been working again for a month.
Sounds like a similar issue and just as perplexing.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
If the lock function of a switch sticks, or the relay itself, these are the symptoms you will get. These old style GM lock motors/solenoids are so powerful, you cannot turn the lock cylinder or overcome the lock button, you will only pull the linkage apart. I warned family members to try the switch(s) if they ever find themselves in this situation.
I learned this when I was trapped outside a recently acquired '92 Buick Century after physical therapy for my 2nd back surgery. This era car locks the door when you put it in gear, but does not automatically unlock them. I absolutely could not get in the car. Called a lock smith, older guy too, that was baffled, as he had not seen it. He managed to lower one of the windows (manual window car) with his extra long reach device, and we could could push the unlock button and get in.
I subsequently found the driver's switch, which was a little worn, could be jiggled just right to very occasionally stick actuating the locks. I found some very low mileage replacement switches (no longer available new) and relay and replaced them all. I even added an unlock switch inside the trunk, I was so disturbed by the whole thing.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have no idea, but the power windows mysteriously quit working on the 86 following a heater core replacement.
Probably will never know. Just a thought- If it happens again I would make sure the relay is grounded good. The original relay is grounded by it's casing.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
ya i may pull the fuse on these so this dont happen again. maybe i can find some new switches i dont even know if any are made for these old trucks any more.....i dont have any spares to disassemble an look at the insides...
ive never had this happen before so im at a loss...but im pretty sure there was power to the lock to keep it locked....

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Stuck or shorted lock switch??? Just for grins- I held my switch down and I couldn't pull up the manual knob.
this is exactly what happened it had to have power to it......ill have to see if it has a fuse so i can pull it.....

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The relay is another story- extremely hard to find. RY547 or GM 20306055

If the relay ever fails you will probably have to adapt a new rely and use a ground wire

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
found switches so there on order yeeeee... humm relays ill have to see where and what they look like...i dont think its a relay but one never knows ...

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Being I was not far from back surgery when my incident happened, I had pulled the fuse in my car too. I wasn't in any condition to go rooting around looking for the relay in the right front kick panel, besides being so shocked the system could malfunction this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod