lmc insulation kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Anyone on here pull the trigger on the 250.00 precut insulation package from lmc? Not having to cut and fit myself is looking like a pretty good option. What would be the cost saving if you put in the work from those who did it from scratch?
Thanx in advance
Eric

86c10twotone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I’m debating it as well. I’m almost complete with my restoration and looking at different options for under the carpet

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Its pretty crappy basic insulation. You will get a reduction in heat and noise... I'm pretty sure that is basically what is under the carpet in my truck now and it is noticeably quieter than the basic no insulation interior in my 74 was. You have to remove the whole interior to put the pre-cut interior in anyways, so for me it is well worth the $100 savings and day or two of work to put the MUCH better dual layer of sound deadening and thermal insulation in below the stock carpet pad. I'm using Killmat right over the bare metal and then the closed cell foam over the top, with the stock carpet and pad over that. Should be almost new car quiet and pretty comfortable temp wise. Heres the stuff I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751G6TMV/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PX2C8DC/

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I've seen them but they never looked like it would be worth it. They looked more like ABS plastic than insulation to me personally. I never care much about what the hood does unless it has to do with noise and if it comes down to that I'll just shoot the bottom of it with some of the softer type bed liner material that you spray on.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've seen them but they never looked like it would be worth it. They looked more like ABS plastic than insulation to me personally. I never care much about what the hood does unless it has to do with noise and if it comes down to that I'll just shoot the bottom of it with some of the softer type bed liner material that you spray on.
Are we talking about the little hood insulation pieces? I thought he was talking about the pre-cut insulation that goes under the carpet in the cab?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The hood insulator is only $35 and is not pre-cut. https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/hood-components/cc-1973-80-hood-components

I believe he is talking about this.
https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/carpet-insulation/1981-87-pre-cut-insulation-kit

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Yes I am talking about the interior. Wound up pulling the whole interior out to fix cab mounts. Now is the time to sound deaden and insulate before we re assymble Johny 5 lol
Eric

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I debated between that and just going with Noico or the likes. $250 would do that and then some. Have heard alot of good about the Noico, Kilmat, etc., and lots of mixed on the insulation.

Just on cost and reviews, I'll probably go with the sound deadener.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
A combination of the Factory style Sound Deadener and Heat Shield Kits work very well and the 1/2” padding that’s on the heat shield makes the new carpet fit much better.
Both kits are a total of around $140.00

I also used the Noico 80 mil under both kits. with 3 layers of insulation the interior noise is very minimal, Like a luxury car.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
cost me approx $450 to quieten down my truck. it's a crewy so i needed twice as much...
butyl dynamat, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl, wit the winda's up she's almost caddy quiet

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
cost me approx $450 to quieten down my truck. it's a crewy so i needed twice as much...
butyl dynamat, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl, wit the winda's up she's almost caddy quiet
Cowboy Cadillac

chief_shotts

Reaction score
First Name
edgar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Curious on your order of operations when laying the different materials

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I used the dynamat 5 packs, 2 of em did almost the whole passenger floor section in a burb with one sheet left over, will need 1 more plus that extra sheet to fully finish the floor. Didn't go all the way to the edges for rust control/patrol. Plus it's not necessary.

Dynamat dynaliner closed cell foam, one big sheet does 3/4 of the front floor. Those are like $80 a sheet, the five pack of dynamat was about $110. Unfortunately for me after more than a decade they changed their design(for the better) so mine doesn't match. Oh well.

For me 4 sheets of the 18x32 inch did the front all the way across. And from the firewall ledge to the start of the seat hump. Four for the hump as well, but used the fifth one to fill in gaps where I didn't want to stretch and form the mats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk