LMC hood kink kit - work on an already kinked hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Mine was damaged when I got it. It's still damaged but not super noticeably.Iubed up the hinges and took the springs off and made a prop rod no springs stopped the bending.But the SOB is heavy.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Oh, you think the LMC braces would keep the hood working normally? If so, I think I will do that. I was under the impression from previous posts that the braces still kink with opening and closing.
Well I mean they are sort of a band-aid. It isn't going to fix broken ****, but it can help from making it worse.

You love round eyes. So for example let's just say you have a round eye that has clean fender bottoms and a flat non creased hood without rot in the nose. Great, now let's think about putting some paint or rust prohibitive on the fender and hood innards and bracing the hood crush points.
It is just good preventative maintenance of known issues.

If you already have the issues. Well then it's bend it back straight, brace and reinforce as you can. Making sure all the pivot points are lubed and moving free so you don't make anything any worse. :33:
Already bent metal wants to bend more.

The whole hinge mechanism coupled with the design of the hood is a menace to the hood itself on the round eyes.

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have them from LMC. My passenger side has a minor link that raises up a tad. I had the guy that painted it weld the broken torn hood up to help that part strengthen. But I agree there not that strong but I put them as a preventative to keep it from getting worse

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
What I mean is my hood doesnt match and line up properly, the nose of the hood aggressively shoots in like a back sweep and the rear by the cowl is slightly different, because the hood is from a 77. my 1980 hood swept forward and lined up with the fenders more. The current hood is in excellent shape considering it was laying on wood 4x4s and sat in the weeds for 15 years, but it clashes.

Its not too seriously noticeable, but was hoping to revitalize my original hood. But from what I hear from yall, its pretty toast to not rekink and it would visibly be creased or raised up when lower, most likely. I might just eventually paint the whole truck cheaply to make it match and go from there. I dont think I will ever fully restore this truck, I think i will keep it in running order and a work truck, but the amount of money to dump I dont have excludes hoods lol. At least until the mechanical is all sorted out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mikes78K20

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 currently...5.3 future
I installed the LMC kit and lube the hinges every now and then with WD40. It opens and closes very nicely.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Strips of 1/8" flat stock would work. For maximum flex control, do NOT use self tapping screws. Use 1/4" rivets in holes drilled with a good 1/4" drill bit. You don't want any slop in the attaching holes at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey