LMC hood kink kit - work on an already kinked hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know it's back ordered, but my original hood kinked from a bad hood hinge. I since replaced the hood hinge and put a different hood that doesn't align perfectly, but it does work. I'd assume to put my original hood back on if it will be structurally sound to open and not kink again. I don't care about the looks part, it's not pretty lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was going to make braces for my k. I will move that higher in my priority list.Hang tight for a little bit and I'll tell you what I learn

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had the kit on my ‘75 and it wasn’t enough to avoid kinking the hood one winter when the grease for the hinges got stiff. I recommend trying to find something a little stronger.

Bruce

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm constantly keeping my hinges operating smoothly with a little lithium grease to keep my hood from doing that. Like Ted said they work better if you put them on before it kinks.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My hood was kinked on the passenger side before I ever used the truck, so not a choice i had unfortunately. The hood hinge rivets were loose and I think the pivot points started to bind, at least that was my findings after I took the old ones off. The other side was still perfectly operational, with the passenger side had a lot of play and the pivots bound up even when using my hand to operate the hinge

Can you weld some flat stock or some square tubing to the hood to fix the kink?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
My understanding is that the soft spot was intentionally designed into the hood so it would fold up in a frontal collision.

You could obviously stiffen it up by attaching some angle iron to it, but be prepared to have it come through the windshield and chop your head off in an accident.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My understanding is that the soft spot was intentionally designed into the hood so it would fold up in a frontal collision.

You could obviously stiffen it up by attaching some angle iron to it, but be prepared to have it come through the windshield and chop your head off in an accident.
Well how do you propose fix it? And at least the hood could still kink on the driver side. I also don't use it on the road

Preston Tucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well how do you propose fix it? And at least the hood could still kink on the driver side. I also don't use it on the road
We welded some light angle iron inside the hood, it works well, but this is when the hood was starting to bend slightly, not kinked yet. It stopped it though.
Like yours ours is also not used on the road, its just a yard truck.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
The fix would be to buy another hood.

The repair would be to straighten out the hood and put the braces on. Those brace kits are flimsy enough they would still crumple if needed but should help from additional folding/bending.

Your truck doesn't go on the road now but who knows what the future holds?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

The repair would be to straighten out the hood and put the braces on. Those brace kits are flimsy enough they would still crumple if needed but should help from additional folding/bending.

They are flimsy enough to continue creasing. I have them on my creased hood and i close it from the creased side and not the front. Im leary of it creasing worse.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
They are flimsy enough to continue creasing. I have them on my creased hood and i close it from the creased side and not the front. Im leary of it creasing worse.
Yeah if it is already creased bad they probably aren't going to stop the hump that's already in place. But if it's not already been bent over it is a little insurance.
It's an uphill battle fighting something it was designed to do.

Lube your hinges people!;)

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If you want to, but 2 sets one set for each side. Put one on top of hood and one on bottom and bolt together and sandwich the creases to give extra support.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Oh, you think the LMC braces would keep the hood working normally? If so, I think I will do that. I was under the impression from previous posts that the braces still kink with opening and closing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I dont so much mind a hump, I just kinda want the hood to work properly when closing from the center. The hood did a solid 30 or so degree bend on that one side with the side crimp bending out, the hood would also sag when open under its own weight. If these braces are solid enough, they will do what Im hoping, but I guess im not sure if they are? If that makes sense. THey are on backorder, so the hood will continue to sit about unused. maybe I can make a piece of flat stock and screw it into the brace sold but move it further up, so in the event of a collision it would not impede the hood crushing BUT would hold enough pressure to keep the hood straight? Or perhaps follow the recommendations of @82sbshortbed and use two sets. Im not opposed to that since the looks arent super important, I just want the same color hood and have it fit more properly with my fenders and such

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL