Little tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stretch an O-ring around your universals. It's like Vi-agra for them.

You must be registered for see images attach

**** I can't believe this forum censors the name of a pharmaceutical. :mad:
Works for floppy squarebody AC vents as well, if someone hasn’t mentioned it.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Did you know, the galvanized ashtray can be polished to a bright shine? A bench polisher and a fine abrasive (Tripoli). It’s an easy way to put a finishing touch on the interior

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I was thinking this thread could be for little tricks you figured out that others might like to know. That way when they run into that problem or job it's going to be easier knowing that.

This one is no big deal and some might already do this but, when I shine up chrome I like to use #0000 steel wool for it. Works great! I don't even spray any cleaner or anything. Just get on it if it's not all greasy and too dirty. If so I'll wash it first.

This is the alternator bracket I shined up.

Comes out nice and Shiney

I'm sure a lot of people can post things like this that maybe you didn't know. Even if it's something simple as this.

It works great for getting bugs off windshields, chrome bumpers, rims and other chrome stuff.
Steel Wool works wonders on glass also!

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Did you know, the galvanized ashtray can be polished to a bright shine? A bench polisher and a fine abrasive (Tripoli). It’s an easy way to put a finishing touch on the interior
That's one shiny change bucket there. Nice.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I had a bunch of tools get flooded by condensate and rusted up badly. I gave them a vinegar (white, from the grocery) soak for a couple days and then scrubbed stuff with a random brass bristle brush laying around. This leaves a nice coating behind on stuff like punches, chisels, & impact sockets and seems to act as a weak bluing of sorts. If I get time, I will investigate the why's and how to make better penetration of the brass but so far (2 years now) no surface rust returns.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great ideas. Here’s one I learned recently: if you have front posts on your battery with the threaded holes, and the hole strips, just use a short piece of soldering wire (lead) and insert it in the hole as you put the screw in. Tightens things right up.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
If your truck won't turn over at all, try reaching around with your left hand and pulling the gear shift farther into the park position and hold it there while you try to crank it. Iv'e had two different trucks in the past that I had to do this to.

Anyone have a tip on how to remove window crank handles without busting the clip?

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I recently pulled all the old bolts out of my fender and fender wells so I can pull the engine. All the bolts were very rusty. I put them all in a bowl and poured in apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few hours and you will have beautiful rust free bolts. Then take out, rinse, and then plop in a zip lock bag. Get some WD40 and spray liberally in the bag. Shake to cover and zip it up for storage. No more rust.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
When changing power window motors or window regulators, use a piece of gorrilla tape across the top of the door frame and on each side of the glass to capture the door glass in the mostly raised position (or just low enough to access the window sash.) This is much easier than removing the glass from the door entirely.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Anyone have a tip on how to remove window crank handles without busting the clip?

Get the tool? Lol

No need for "the tool". Use an old rag or t-shirt. If you slip the edge of the rag/t-shirt between the door panel and the window crank and sort of walk it around the window crank, the edge of the rag/t-shirt will catch the end of the clip and pop it off as the you rotate the fabric.

Different fabrics work better than others. Old t-shirts work well because the fabric is thin enough for the wire clip to easily snag on it, and then rotate. Heavy fabric doesn't always catch on the wire clip. I've been doing it this way for years and have never owned "the tool".

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Hell yeah, that's some good stuff. Keep'em coming.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I recently pulled all the old bolts out of my fender and fender wells so I can pull the engine. All the bolts were very rusty. I put them all in a bowl and poured in apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few hours and you will have beautiful rust free bolts. Then take out, rinse, and then plop in a zip lock bag. Get some WD40 and spray liberally in the bag. Shake to cover and zip it up for storage. No more rust.
I have heard of this before, and I always forget about it. I have a buddy, (he's a Furd guy) but he swears by this. He has a big pickle jar half full in his shop. I'm going to have to remember to try this.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I have heard of this before, and I always forget about it. I have a buddy, (he's a Furd guy) but he swears by this. He has a big pickle jar half full in his shop. I'm going to have to remember to try this.
I did another very old rusty batch over the weekend. Left them in over night and wow what a difference. Air is your enemy so zip lock em and spray in that WD40. Lasts longer than a tin foil wrapped meatball in the freezer!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ