Little tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I was thinking this thread could be for little tricks you figured out that others might like to know. That way when they run into that problem or job it's going to be easier knowing that.

This one is no big deal and some might already do this but, when I shine up chrome I like to use #0000 steel wool for it. Works great! I don't even spray any cleaner or anything. Just get on it if it's not all greasy and too dirty. If so I'll wash it first.

This is the alternator bracket I shined up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Comes out nice and Shiney

I'm sure a lot of people can post things like this that maybe you didn't know. Even if it's something simple as this.

It works great for getting bugs off windshields, chrome bumpers, rims and other chrome stuff.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
First one to mind is the Coca-Cola on battery terminals to eliminate corrosion if she won't crank while on the road.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Here’s a tip, Change out the 3 bolts that fasten the center caps to Rally wheels.
They always rust and are asymmetrical…
5 polished stainless button heads look a lot better.
probably what GM should have done,

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Here’s a tip, Change out the 3 bolts that fasten the center caps to Rally wheels.
They always rust and are asymmetrical…
5 polished stainless button heads look a lot better.
probably what GM should have done

Holy crap. I never noticed that they did that with the 5 lug wheels... I'm used to looking at the ones on my 4wd, which are symmetrical. Your implementation *does* look far better.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Turn any nut and bolt into a Nylock. Cut a small piece of fishing line. Put it through the nut, tighten down the bolt. Works great on Nut Certs, when you don't want the bolt to back out.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305
Loose and floppy Air Conditioning vents are a common problem
and in my opinion… a GM design flaw.
I always put a Rubber Washer on one of the pivot pegs before snapping
the vent into the dash trim or gauge bezel.
The vents now stay exactly where I aim them and never “flop”

Last edited:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305
When installing new outside door handles,..
The instructions will tell you to stick the gaskets to the Door, even the LMC video shows this.
No matter how careful and precise you are, you will never get a perfect alignment

The Trick is to use the gasket for the opposite side and stick the gaskets directly to the handle…now you will have perfect alignment of gasket and handle. It’s the little details !

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Turn any nut and bolt into a Nylock. Cut a small piece of fishing line. Put it through the nut, tighten down the bolt. Works great on Nut Certs, when you don't want the bolt to back out.
Nice one! Never heard of that.
Also get a nut or bolt with stripped threads to grab by inserting a piece or 3 of stranded copper wire into the bolt hole before threading in.
Depending on how bad and how big of diameter depends size of wire or bare wires vs insulation intact.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Antiseize on anything you want to come apart again easily. Loctite on anything that comes apart when you don’t want it to!
Actually I rarely use thread locker unless specifically called for or is a problem bolt and an ad hoc repair. Generally one should find the cause of a fastener that repeatedly comes loose on its own.
Antiseize , growing up in the rust belt, is the ultimate mechanics helper!
I’m certain there are many people I don’t even know who have thanked me, indirectly, after disassembling something on a vehicle I used to own!
Guy who bought our old Ram truck last year, I still talk to him (we actually traded trucks so we have his “old” 2016 because he wanted a 5.9 6 speed), got new wheels and tires and the tire shop told him “someone anti seized the wheel lugs. Cleaned all that off. Could make the wheel come loose”.
He said wtf? Truck has 200k on it. Don’t you think they would have come loose by now if it was a problem?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Heat to break loose rusted nuts and bolts. If one hasn’t followed my previous tip, or it’s exhaust bolts, heat the nut or whatever the bolt is threaded into. Not the piece with the male threads.
Mapp gas works ok but slow and not as good on large fasteners.
Acytlene torch is mo better

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Stretch an O-ring around your universals. It's like Vi-agra for them.

**** I can't believe this forum censors the name of a pharmaceutical. :mad:

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Antiseize on anything you want to come apart again easily. Loctite on anything that comes apart when you don’t want it to!
Actually I rarely use thread locker unless specifically called for or is a problem bolt and an ad hoc repair. Generally one should find the cause of a fastener that repeatedly comes loose on its own.
Antiseize , growing up in the rust belt, is the ultimate mechanics helper!
I’m certain there are many people I don’t even know who have thanked me, indirectly, after disassembling something on a vehicle I used to own!
Guy who bought our old Ram truck last year, I still talk to him (we actually traded trucks so we have his “old” 2016 because he wanted a 5.9 6 speed), got new wheels and tires and the tire shop told him “someone anti seized the wheel lugs. Cleaned all that off. Could make the wheel come loose”.
He said wtf? Truck has 200k on it. Don’t you think they would have come loose by now if it was a problem?
I've kept a jar of copper antisieze in my toolbox ever since I started working on airhead BMW's. Pretty much every fastener going in gets a dab.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've kept a jar of copper antisieze in my toolbox ever since I started working on airhead BMW's. Pretty much every fastener going in gets a dab.
Copper stuff is good for high temp too. Never used it much but anyone on here with a 4.6 Ford V8 (and maybe some of the others I don’t have memorized which engines spit out spark plugs from not enough threads and which ones stick and break off).
Bought an 06 cream puff Mustang GT a couple years ago. 30k miles never seen rain, in Portland, lol. One of the first things I did was replace the spark plugs, they are known to stick, bad.
Even on a car that effectively was only a couple years old based on mileage and condition, they were squeaky and difficult to remove.
Copper antiseize on the threads and the shank portion that is the actual problem with this design. Removed a spark plug recently just to see if they were getting sticky at all after almost 2 years. Came out like butter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena